No announcement yet.

"Crumbs" in the centre margin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QUOTE=TBHalo;n159074]I still don't understand the way crumbs are sometimes pink after the cat's rescue in vol. I.
    Also, is it just me or sometimes they are a bit black and a bit pink, like one on top of the other? Like on page TF1.611, for instance...
    And why are the crumbs on page 751 blue?! Also some blue on page 774, 786, 810, 812-15, 819, 826; all in parts by Narcons.[/QUOTE]

At least for TF2, it seems like when the pink crumbs are present, the event in the adjcent text are some kind of flashback or memory. Sometimes a chapter will start and the action is actually place before the timestamp. When it catches up to the present, they go black again. Sometimes only some of the crumbs will be pink on a page, and, every time I've noticed, they correlate to the character remembering something.

That doesn't really seem to be the case in v1, though.

Comment

Yes I noticed it when I was halfway through vol. 2... Then I double-checked on vol. 1 and it didn't match.
      The blue/purple/"black-on-pink" parts are the worst though, because sometimes I don't understand whether they are a printing error of some kind (some parts of my vol.2, in fact, have a slight printing halo -- most probably a little flaw -- reproduced in the attachment).
      Maybe blue could have something to do with meta-metanarrative? I guess so because it's all in narcon parts. But this would violate the "MetaNarcons DNE" rule...
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Yeah, the crumb colors besides pink are pretty tough for me to discern. The lines are so thin. I didn't even notice the blue and purple crumbs as being different than black until this thread.

Comment

Looking at the pink crumbs under a magnifying glass, the thin lines themselves are actually RED but appear pink against the white pages.

Comment

Sorry if I missed it, but has anyone speculated on the added crumbs on p. 779 TFv2? It is almost like a finger pointing at the sprig from a pine tree to its right.

Comment

I'm don't think the crumbs are pointing to anything on Pg.779TFv2, if only because that would be behavior that's pretty far outside their normal role(even if that role is pretty far from clear).

Speaking of the crumbs I was really interested in the pictures someone a little ways back posted of the crumbs for each character. It has me thinking would the crumbs make more sense if arranged chronologically along a vertical axis for each character. The end result could be a kind of narrative ECG.

Comment

Danielewski has said on more than one occasion that The relates to television the same way of Leaves relates to a film. If this is the case, the "crumbs" could be seen as static or a stylistic frequency for each POV character. It seems to me that they go pink any time the action or thought is taking place in the past (earlier in the day or earlier than the time stamp at the beginning of each chapter).

The pink to me is a stylistic way of doing a flashback on the page like a sepia tint or any other convention that could be done visually in a television show.

Comment

Pink is defiantly there to denote flashbacks or thoughts of the past(though isn't there at least one instance that dosn't seem to follow that rule, I of course cant remember where that instance was.).
                  More than the pink fractals I find myself much more interested in figuring out the purple fractals significance. It seems to signal interaction by higher level entities but I am only guessing.
                  Also the brown and green fractals that keep popping up in Astairs chapters. Not to mention all the other colours.
                  Someone(Aquarius I think.) on reddit suggested the colours other than purple and pink may be printing mistakes. I really would like to think that if that was the case MZD would give us a heads up, though then again he might say nothing and let us be the ones to craft complex theories around these accidental colours.

Comment

In the interest of helping those who might be looking for more about the center margin crumbs here are some links to a few discussions of them on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheFamiliar...0103_complete/

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheFamiliar...nd_pink_in_v3/

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheFamiliar..._the_fractals/

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheFamiliar...ol_1_spoilers/

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheFamiliar...actals_in_the/

Have fun.

Comment

Another interesting tidbit about the Fractals.

If you look at MZD's twitter feed he refers to the Fractals as "Signatures". This meshes well with myself and some others thoughts of the fractals as a kind of narrative EKG. The fluctuations and shifts in the patterns likely correspond with changes in the characters perception or psychology. Makes the cat shape that appears in Xanthers chapters less opaquely suggestive, and more foreboding and menacing.

Comment

I actually jumped to that conclusion as well when I first saw the pic but a friend quickly set me straight.

In bookbinding, section (sometimes gathering) refers to a group of bifolios, or sheets of paper, stacked together and folded in half. The term is sometimes used interchangeably with signature...

Comment

Well that's what I get for jumping to conclusions. Thankfully I'm okay with looking silly on the internet.

But in the interest of maybe saving face, he might still have been referring to the fractals.
                          Hear me out, it makes sense looking at the physicality of the TF project. The amount of care and detail spent on the books construction, High quality paper and inks, the unique cover and the impressive bordering on worrying level of attention to using typography as a story telling apparatus, all suggests that it might not be unreasonable to infer that the book itself is a part of its story. So the margins, signatures, bindings,borders or sutras should be examined for meaning and metaphor with as much rigor as the volumes prose, images and signiconic exercises.

Besides wouldn't that be just like MZD? share an image that on first thought seems like him just sharing a step in the process of TF's "birth". But on second look and a second thought it seems to be some kind of hint that seems to answer a nagging question. Then third thoughts roll around and you(or in my case someone paying more attention then you.) decide to double check your hunch and the big hint turns out to be some specialized facet of knowledge that's actually pretty innocuous. But because questioning yourself has gotten you this far, you take a fourth run and it looks like that innocuous bit of trivia doesn't conflict with your initial hunch but actually expands upon it and reinforces it. At the end of which your not sure if you got where you are through a series of well reasoned steps, or whether you got twisted up a few levels back and have just been going in circles.
                          Its like a like little recursion of the whole MZD experience in one picture.

Or...or, I'm once again jumping wildly to conclusion(far away conclusions, that are mostly heat mirages).

Comment

I don't think he was talking about the fractals. In a video I saw from the tour, a woman asked him what are those things in the margin and if they have a name. He said "Yes they have a name but I cannot reveal it to you. They're not breadcrumbs, though." So I don't think he would reveal the name in a twitter post for unbound vol 4.

Comment

Agreed. I heartily doubt he would either.
                              On the other hand, I am equally doubtful of my ability to guess what MZD will or wont do. I mean he dropped an encoded answer to "what is VEM?" on reddit of all places.
                              but like I said, I was just pulling at straws for the hell of it.

Comment

WT...?
                                https://vimeo.com/203211370

Comment

Working...
                                X