philosophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• philosophy

so, let's talk philosophy, shall we? my opinion: it is a complete waste of time and energy. It is contrived and totally useless, apart from making yourself seem interesting at some party. It has been worshipped and set on high and needs to be brought down to the level of bottom feeder shit that it is. Ayn Rand can burn in hell. That is all.

You're right; I reckon Schopenhauer must've been a real hit at parties.

Comment

Comment

Ayn Rand... philosophy... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Comment

Re: philosophy

Originally posted by po-m
          my opinion: it is a complete waste of time and energy
          Wouldn't that apply to pretty much everything that doesn't provide food, shelter, clothing, heat, protection from enemies, or a mate? You could say the same about music, art or literature if you didn't have a taste for them.

Or am I just waxing philosophic?

Now, a seersucker suit. That's a waste of time and energy, baby.

Anyway, philisophy has been largely abandoned in favor of sophistry.

Comment

Re: philosophy

Originally posted by modiFIed
            Anyway, philisophy has been largely abandoned in favor of sophistry.
            'Sophistry' is such a tendentious term. I prefer 'eristical dialectic'.

Comment

she is a philosopher. a very very bad one. she is often grouped in with freud and the like (psychologists, I guess?) but yes, that is her calling. would you like me to read you the author page off the fountainhead?

material posessions are a waste, but not in the same way. scientific thought/theory is toward an end. art is the other half of answering meaning. philosophy was invented so people like *o* could feel better about themselves. It has absolutely no basis and goes through just as many fads as clothing. The only way a philosopher "proves" themselves "right" is by attacking the theories of everyone else, and therefore sounding right by default. you could say that about science, but at least there's proof there (or at least an educated guess). philosophy is a sham.

Comment

Originally posted by po-m
                she is a philosopher. a very very bad one. she is often grouped in with freud and the like (psychologists, I guess?) but yes, that is her calling. would you like me to read you the author page off the fountainhead?

material posessions are a waste, but not in the same way. scientific thought/theory is toward an end. art is the other half of answering meaning. philosophy was invented so people like *o* could feel better about themselves. It has absolutely no basis and goes through just as many fads as clothing. The only way a philosopher "proves" themselves "right" is by attacking the theories of everyone else, and therefore sounding right by default. you could say that about science, but at least there's proof there (or at least an educated guess). philosophy is a sham.
                This argument is so lacking in philosophical rigour that it is impossible to engage with it on a rational level. Therefore you win.

Comment

y' know, according to some philosophers, my lack of philosophical language would evidence the roots of my own philosophy. I would be like neitzche or something. NO! I'm not saying it doesn't have its academic uses. That is its sole basis for existing: so people can think. What bothers me is a person's need to devote their life to it. Like someone who majors in philosophy in college, for example: you have just wasted your education, my friend.

Comment

don't get me started. It doesn't have to be practical, just not...I don't know how to word this...basing everything on something that exists solely in your own head. Of course you can argue any number of occupations do that, but I mean on a slightly different plane...uh--help me out here.

Comment

It wasn't your lack of philosophical language I was taking issue with, it was your apparent inability to think in a rational way or express yourself with any degree of clarity.

Edit: to po-m, obviously

Comment

Heh, yeah maybe I was being a bit harsh.

Comment

Ayn Rand... philosophy... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Comment

Is it just me, or is anyone else starting to really like this guy?

Comment

Originally posted by ellimist
                              So if I were you, no offense, I would try to work out what I believe about philosophy, then come back to it. Good luck.
                              I believe philosophy is a ridiculous and overrated outlet for people who have massive personal problems to make themselves feel better by applying them to the entire human race/universe. \/

[quote"ram"]It wasn't your lack of philosophical language I was taking issue with, it was your apparent inability to think n a rational way or express yourself with any degree of clarity.[/quote]

I'm sorry, do you actually have a point or are you trying to debase my arguments with flaming? I'm pretty sure I've already mentioned that somewhere... :-k

Comment

Working...
                              X