No announcement yet.

NOW WITH PRIZES! Only Revolutions Electronic Version – Special Features Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOW WITH PRIZES! Only Revolutions Electronic Version – Special Features Contest

Since it seems like all of you need some incentive for the eVersion project, we’ve added some prizes…including a Skype with Carl (or Mark if Carl is feeling less inclined).

HOW TO ENTER To be eligible for a prize, you must submit at least 16 usable pop-up moments (examples below). Prizes will be awarded to the people who submit the most usable content.
    GRAND PRIZE
    One person will win a Skype with Carl or Mark (depending on the whims of the day), plus one signed copy of each of the following: of Leaves, The Whalestoe Letters, OR, the OR Journals and The Fifty Year Sword.

TWO FIRST PRIZES
    Two people will receive one signed copy of each of the following: of Leaves, The Whalestoe Letters, OR the OR Journals and The Fifty Year Sword.

FIVE SECOND PRIZES
    Five people will receive a rare signed copy of the 2002-2004 German/English OR Journals.

People who submit the best entries will also be in the running to receive priority access to the eVersion, as well as early access to items related to The .
    Deadline for submission: 11:11 p.m. PST on February 14, 2014.

For full rules, please see the end of this post.

SAMPLE POP-UP MOMENTS

For the OR eBook, we would like to gather a number—6, 90, 180, 360?—of pop-up moments that readers will have the option of exploring in the text. Each of these could explicate a word, a phrase, a theme and so forth.

We're looking for little breadcrumbs that provide a moment of insight for things that require some outsight to fully understand. Here are some examples:

1) Sam page 3: "By Forrests of pale harm" might pop up with information about Nathan Bedford Forrest and the establishment of the KKK.

2) A passage or phrase could cite a scholar who has written on the topic. For example, the "allways sixteen" on page 194 could include this paragraph:

"The cycles they instantiate revolve around the number '8.' (The publisher advises readers to read 8 pages at a time from each narrative, one starting at one end of the book, the other from the other end). H is the 8th letter from the beginning of the alphabet; S is the 8th letter from the end. The text is generated (either manually or algorithmically or some combination of both) from the words in the concordance, printed on the book's endpapers in 8 major clusters. 8 + 8 is sixteen; hence Sam and Hailey are said to be 'allways sixteen.'"
    ——N. Katherine Hayles (professor and director of graduate studies in the Literature Program at Duke University, Amazon.com review)
    Or Hailey page 1 ("Samsara! Samarra!") could include this one:

"Hailey’s opening exclamation——'Samsara! Samarra!'——connotes not only drifting or migration, but reincarnation and transmigration, as well as the Iraqi city of the Babylonian myth retold by Somerset Maugham and John O'Hara in the 1930s; her flight is perhaps, then, not one of nomadic and liberatory egress, but of repetition and return, and one marked by archaic territorialism and death."
    ——Phillip Leonard ("'Without Return. Without Place': Rewriting the Book and the Nation in ," Writing Technologies)
    3) An image might work——such as a specific car or historical event mentioned in the book. This one might be a little tricky, as the image would need to be of high quality and we would need copyright clearance. One easy way to prove clearance would be to provide an image linked to a site that indicates the image is in the public domain. (And if you find any good sites/libraries that make free images available, please provide those links!)

Please post your favorite insights here——and include source links and/or scans if possible——and/or also send to: onlyrevolutionsebook (at) gmail.com.

Submissions via both methods are welcome though only one is required.

GIVEAWAY RULES
    -No purchase necessary. Worldwide entries welcome. Void where prohibited.

-All entrants must be 18 years of age or older.

-By submitting these pop-ups, entrants give permission for the content to be used in any form in the eBook and other related projects.

-Entry period: Begins October 31, 2013 at 11:11 a.m. PST and ends at 11:11 p.m. PST on February 14, 2014.

-To be eligible for a prize, an entrant must submit at least 16 usable pop-up moments. Prizes will be awarded to the people who submit the most usable content.

- People who submit pop-up moments that are used will receive credit in the eVersion. If two or more people submit the same moment, the one used in the book will receive credit. If two people submit exactly the same text for a pop-up, the first one submitted via e-mail will receive credit. Even those who don’t win prizes but have offered a new, usable pop-up moment will be credited.

-One Grand Prize Winner will win a Skype with Carl or Mark Z. Danielewski plus one signed copy of of Leaves, The Whalestoe Letters, OR, the OR Journals and The Fifty Year Sword. (Approx. retail value: $75)

Two First Prize Winners will receive one signed copy of of Leaves, The Whalestoe Letters, OR, the OR Journals and The Fifty Year Sword. (Approx. retail value: $75)

Five Second Prize Winners will receive a signed copy of the OR Journals. (Approx. retail value: $10)

-No responsibility is assumed for late, lost, damaged, incomplete, illegible or misdirected entries.

-By accepting the prize, winner releases sponsor and any affiliated companies from any and all liability for any loss, harm, injuries, damages, cost or expense arising out of or relating to participation in this sweepstakes or the acceptance, use or misuse of the prize.

-This giveaway is sponsored by MarkZDanielewski.com
    Last edited by Hazel; 11-01-2013, 05:08 PM.

It it just the main text, or do you want pop-up moments for the timeline/sidebar as well? This allows a more "detailed" timeline date-wise.

For example, on Sam 295 under "Sept 4 1959" there's a quote:
    "-What is it? Do you have rocket launching pads there?"

Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev said this during a luncheon in Hollywood Sept 19, 1959, when he wasn't allowed to go to Disneyland.

Source:
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...tory=fullstory

Another example, on Sam 262 under "Aug 29 1955" it says:
    "James Dean goes."

James Dean was killed in a car accident Sept 30 1955 while driving a Porsche 550 Spyder. He starred in three movies.

Sources:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/3722463.stm
    http://www.thebiographychannel.co.uk...ames-dean.html
    Last edited by timlarsson; 11-07-2013, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Yes, feel free to submit pop-ups for any part of the book. Just be sure to include source links or scans along with each entry!

Comment

• timlarsson
        timlarsson commented
        Editing a comment
        Alright! I had to ask since I wasn't sure if these pop-ups would be meant to replace the sidebar/timeline.
        I might as well submit a typo right now, on Hailey 190, in the sidebar, it says "Olaf Palme goes." His name was Olof... I'll submit an entry for that later.

Samarra is also a maple seed.
      I mean samara.

Comment

Some questions:

Should the notes we supply be from throughout the book -- will we be penalized for contributing notes from just one or two sections? I have dozens of notes and pages of information on just a couple of pages from the book, should I search more deeply?

Also, what sort of sources are you looking for? For instance:

Same Pg 1 Abolition of slavery, confiscation of property, and teritorial vassalage

Governor Z.B. Vance’s message to North Carolina General Assembly:
        “...We know at least precisely what we would get by submission, and therein our enemy done us good service - abolition of slavery, confiscation of property, and territorial vassalage! These are the terms to win us back”
        Zebulon Baird Vance -- Confederate army military officer, two time Governor of North Carolina and US Senator. One of the most influential Southern leaders of the Civil War.
        http://docsouth.unc.edu/imls/governor/governor.html

I attached a link to a primary source of the full address, but not to the quick info about ZBV... Is this acceptable?

If it is a book source, is just a title and author OK, or do we get all MLA or APA on this?

And how do you want it submitted by email? Just in the body of the email, or in a particular format?

Jesus, 7-Years-Ago Me is losing her shit over this.... I can't believe I didn't find out about it until yesterday!!

Comment

• timlarsson
          timlarsson commented
          Editing a comment
          I hope you are sending in your material :)

• MiaVRO
          MiaVRO commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Tim!
          I did my best, but the deadline just crept up on me! I submitted about 20 moments... I really could have done much more though. Wishing I had found out sooner!!

• timlarsson
          timlarsson commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry for not telling you sooner, I thought you knew :/

I was on Mars the whole time, just came back to find out about the deadline !

Comment

Working...
        X