Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win a Signed Copy of 'The Fifty Year Sword'

Win a Signed Copy of Mark Z. Danielewskis Rare Novella The Fifty Year Sword

Enter to win a signed second edition copy of this rare book—and if you live near Los Angeles, dont miss the debut performance of The Fifty Year Sword live at REDCAT on Halloween (see below for more info).

Each person may receive up to three entries. Heres how:

1) Log in to Facebook and click Like at www.facebook.com/MarkZDanielewski

2) Log in to Twitter and click “Follow” at www.twitter.com/MarkDanielewski

3) Post the following message on Twitter:
    Win a rare copy of The Fifty Year Sword by @markdanielewski and learn about MZDs Halloween event at REDCAT: http://bit.ly/afgPZb

Giveaway starts at Noon PST on October 22 and ends at Noon PST on November 1. Current MZD Facebook fans/Twitter followers will automatically be entered into the giveaway. See the bottom of this page for full rules.

Press Release for the REDCAT Event
    10/25 Update: Betsy Brandt of Breaking Bad Just Added to the Cast!
    10/29 Update: First Show Sold Out - Second Show Added at 9 p.m.

MARK Z. DANIELEWSKIS CHILLING NOVELLA, THE FIFTY YEAR SWORD, RECEIVES ITS U.S. DEBUT WITH AN UNABRIDGED THEATRICAL READING AND SIGNING AT REDCAT

MARK Z. DANIELEWSKI: THE FIFTY YEAR SWORD
    Sunday, October 31 | 7 p.m. and 9 p.m.
    REDCAT | Roy and Edna Disney/CalArts Theater
    631 West 2nd Street, Los Angeles CA 90012
    Tickets: $15 [Students $12]
    213-237-2800 or redcat.org

Critically acclaimed LA-based author of of Leaves Mark Z. Danielewski creates a special treat for Halloween: a collaborative 90-minute theatrical presentation of his limited-edition, illustrated ghost story The Fifty Year Sword, which has never before received a reading or appeared in print in the U.S.

Of a past reading from the authors breakout novel of Leaves, the Los Angeles Times wrote [Danielewski] performed a five-minute portion of of Leaves with Poe at a Dallas rock concert, a reading interrupted by a roaring, stadium-size standing ovation. Mark Z. Danielewski: The Fifty Year Sword will take place at REDCAT on Sunday, October 31, 2010 at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m.

An autumn story told through five different voices, The Fifty Year Sword blends the oldest traditions with Danielewskis singular innovations. The chills begin on a late October evening at an East Texas ranch when Chintana, a seamstress recovering from a painful divorce, encounters a shadowy caped Story Teller recounting for five orphans a tale of revenge, a harrowing quest, and a terrible sword, which everyone soon realizes waits before them, concealed in a long black box, honed for new crime.

Originally released in The Netherlands on October 31, 2005 in English and Dutch, the English printing was limited to 1,000 and has become a collectors piece rarely found in the U.S. This Halloween, The Fifty Year Sword will receive its official U.S. debut with an unabridged reading at REDCAT.

Danielewski will be joined by four special guest performers--including Betsy Brandt of Breaking Bad--bringing to life the five narrating voices, as well as theater artist Christine Marie who will cast large scale cinematic shadow effects and sound designer John Zalewski conjuring an evening of whispering voices and the intricacies of malice foretold and retold.

After the performance Danielewski will join patrons in the lobby for a book signing. A limited number of copies of 2nd edition The Fifty Year Sword will be available for purchase at the event for $50.

Mark Z. Danielewski: The Fifty Year Sword will be held at REDCAT on Sunday, October 31, 2010. Curtain for the event is 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. All tickets are $15 general admission ($12 for students with current I.D.) and are available at www.redcat.org or by calling 213 237-2800. REDCAT is located at the corner of W. 2nd and Hope Streets, inside the Walt Disney Concert Hall complex (631 West 2nd Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012).

Direct link to tickets:
    http://www.redcat.org/event/mark-danielewski

Giveaway Rules

-No purchase necessary.

-All entrants must be 18 years of age or older.

-Void where prohibited.

-Entry period: Friday, Oct. 22, 2010 at Noon PST to Monday, Nov. 1, 2010 at Noon PST. Winner will be notified by e-mail within 24 hours of the close of the entry period.

-Each person may receive up to three entries into the giveaway:
    1. One entry by logging into Facebook and clicking the “Like” button on this Facebook page: www.facebook.com/MarkZDanielewski
    2. One entry by logging into Twitter and clicking “follow” on this Twitter page: www.twitter.com/MarkDanielewski
    3. One entry by Tweeting this message:
    Win a rare copy of The Fifty Year Sword by @markdanielewski and learn about MZDs Halloween event at REDCAT: http://bit.ly/afgPZb

-Current Facebook fans and Twitter followers will automatically be entered into the giveaway for those means of entering.

-Once contacted, winner will be responsible for providing the correct mailing address within 7 days.

-Prize is one signed second edition copy of The Fifty Year Sword. The retail value of this item is $50.

-No responsibility is assumed for late, lost, damaged, incomplete, illegible, or misdirected entries.

-By accepting the prize, winner releases Sponsor and any affiliated companies from any and all liability for any loss, harm, injuries, damages, cost or expense arising out of or relating to participation in this sweepstakes or the acceptance, use or misuse of the prize.

-This giveaway is sponsored by MarkZDanielewski.com.

-An additional three copies of this book will be given away on-site at the live REDCAT event on Halloween: www.redcat.org/event/mark-danielewski
    Last edited by Hazel; 10-29-2010, 05:12 PM.

Oh boy, how I wish I'd be able to attend to this event... I have my fingers crossed for a high quality video/audio tape. Have fun at REDCAT at Halloween!

Comment

yeah, I wish I could go to, but I'm too far away lol

wish I could join in this competition too, but I don't do Facebook or Twitter and never will

Comment

Good for you - I too am non-aligned, I wonder how I enter the drawing without joining the majority party?

Shouldn't I be able to write "T50YS" on a 3 x 5 card and send it in somewhere?

Or...ah forget it. Mcworld is moving so fast and I have miles to go before i sleep.

Comment

The giveaway is now closed—we'll announce the winner tomorrow!

Comment

Congrats to our T50YS online giveaway winner: Claire Glody from Ireland!

Comment

Congratulations! :)

Comment

Working...
              X