Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reigndrops

"How many raindrops?"

So many raindrops ... it feels like raindrops falling from my eye, eyes...

Comment

p.55
      ... or that if clouds cause rain then clouds and rain stand in causal relation. If you consider the idea in the abstract and ask, w/r/t any relation, whether this relation is itself related to the two terms it relates, the answer is inescapably yes (since it's impossible to see how a relation can connect two terms unless it has its own relation to each one, the way a bridge between two riverbanks has got to be connected to each bank), in which case the relation between, say, clouds and rain actually entail two more relations—viz. those between (1) clouds and the relation and (2) rain and the relation—each of which latter relations obviously then entails two more on either side, and so on, ad inf.... which is not a fun or productive abstract path to venture down in the A.M. at all, especially since the geometric series of relations here is divergent rather than convergent, and as such it's connected to all kinds of especially dreadful and modern divergent series like the exponential doublings of cancer, nuclear fission, epidemiology, & c. Worth noticing also is that hideous divergent VIRs [Vicious Infinite Regress] like those above always involve the metaphysics of abstractions, such as 'relation' or 'knowledge'. It's like some fissure or crevasse always opens up in the move from particular cases of knowing/relating to knowledge/relation in abstractus.
      Last edited by Splendorr; 03-07-2011, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Of course that's your contention. You're a first year grad student. You just finished some Marxian historian, Pete Garrison prob'ly, and so naturally that's what you believe until next month when you get to James Lemon and get convinced that Virginia and Pennsylvania were strongly entrepreneurial and capitalist back in 1740. That'll last until sometime in your second year, then you'll be in here regurgitating Gordon Wood about the Pre-revolutionary utopia and the capital-forming effects of military mobilization.

Comment

"Well, as a matter of fact, I won’t, because Wood drastically underestimates the impact of–"

[I'm neither a grad student nor a reader of Marx, Garrison (Pete or Keillor), etc. Yet. Who knows? I'm pursuing topics, reading what I can, and trying to relate these lessons back to what I see as relevant topics here, for my and potentially others' enjoyment/edification. Your quote from good ol' Will is accurate in the sense that my understanding of the world is rapidly shifting and being informed by a variety of influences. While that may be distasteful from a certain cynical(?) perspective, it can also be a breeding ground for new ideas. I'm intending the latter. Eventually.

If I tread water you've already blurred past on a WaveRunner, kindly direct me to the nearest helpful kiosk buoy. ]

Comment

How [m]any rein/reign/rain(drops)?

In response to some great stuff on this quote and the other quotes: here. Thanks kasey and splendorr for getting the gears reeling. And do let me know about any errors, mishaps, or pits you stumble upon.

how (hou)

adv.

1. In what manner or way; by what means: How does this machine work? 2. In what state or condition: How is she today? 3. To what extent, amount, or degree: How bad was it? 4. For what reason or purpose; why: How is it that he left early? 5. With what meaning: How should I take that remark? 6. By what name: How is she called? 7. By what measure; in what units: How do you sell this corn? 8. What. Usually used in requesting that something be said again: How’s that again? 9. Used as an intensive: How we laughed!

conj.

1. The manner or way in which: forgot how it was done. 2. That. 3. In whatever way or manner; however: Cook it how you please.

n.

A manner or method of doing something: “The how of research is generated by the why of the world” (Frederick Turner).

Idioms.

Informal. Most certainly; you bet. What is your thought, feeling, or desire regarding: How about a cup of tea? How about that storm last night? How about that.

Informal. Used rhetorically to express surprise or wonder at or approval for something. How come.

Informal. How is it that; why: How come you’re so late? how so. How is it so: You say the answer is wrong. How so?

[Middle English howe, from Old English . See kwo- in Appendix.]

man·y (mHnùK)

adj. more (môr, mor), most (most).

1. Being one of a large, indefinite number; numerous: many a child; many another day. 2. Amounting to or consisting of a large, indefinite number: many friends.

n. (used with a pl. verb).

1. A large, indefinite number: A good many of the workers had the flu. 2. The majority of the people; the masses: “The many fail, the one succeeds” (Tennyson).

pron. (used with a pl. verb).

A large number of persons or things: “For many are called, but few are chosen” (Matthew 22:14).

idiom.

as many. The same number of: moved three times in as many years.

[Middle English, from Old English manig. See menegh- in Appendix.]

-----

[here I would like to insert this æcho, being as they are important to of Leaves and ]
            an·y (ĕn'ē)
            adj.
            1. One, some, every, or all without specification: Take any book you want. Are there any messages for me? Any child would love that. Give me any food you don’t want. 2. Exceeding normal limits, as in size or duration: The patient cannot endure chemotherapy for any length of time.
            pron. (used with a sing. or pl. verb).
            Any one or more persons, things, or quantities.
            adv.
            To any degree or extent; at all: didn’t feel any better.
            [Middle English ani, from Old English ǣnig. See oi-no- in Appendix.]

[...end æcho...]

-----

rain (rān)

n.

1. a. Water condensed from atmospheric vapor and falling in
            drops. b. A fall of such water; a rainstorm. c. The descent of such water.
            d. Rainy weather. e. rains. A rainy season. 2. A heavy or abundant fall: a rain of fluffy cottonwood seeds; a rain of insults.

v. rained, rain·ing, rains.

v. intr.

1. To fall in drops of water from the clouds. 2. To fall like rain: Praise
            rained down on the composer.
            3. To release rain.

v. tr.

1. To send or pour down. 2. To give abundantly; shower: rain gifts; rain curses upon their heads.

phrasal verb.

rain out. To force the cancellation or postponement of (an outdoor event) because of rain.

idiom.

rain cats and dogs. Informal. To rain very heavily.

[Middle English, from Old English rēn, regn.]

adj. rain'less

reign (rān)

n.

1. Exercise of sovereign power, as by a monarch. 2. The period during which a monarch rules. 3. Dominance or widespread influence: the reign of reason.

v. intr. reigned, reign·ing, reigns.

1. To exercise sovereign power. 2. To hold the title of monarch, but with limited authority. 3. To be predominant or prevalent: Panic reigned as the fire spread.

[Middle English reigne, from Old French, from Latin rēgnum, from rēx, rēg-, king. See reg- in Appendix.]

rein (rān)

n.

1. Often reins. A long, narrow leather strap attached to each end of the bit of a bridle and used by a rider or driver to control a horse or other animal. 2. A means of restraint, check, or guidance. 3. Often reins. A means or an instrument by which power is exercised: the reins of government.

v. reined, rein·ing, reins.

v. tr.

1. To check or hold back by or as if by the use of reins. Often with in, back, or up. 2. To restrain or control.

v. intr.

To control a horse, for example, with reins.

idioms.

draw in the reins. To slow down or stop by or as if by pressure on the reins. give free rein to (or give full rein to). To release from restraints; allow to go unchecked: gave rein to her emotions. tight rein. Close control: kept expenses on a tight rein.

[Middle English, from Old French resne, reine, from Vulgar Latin *retina, from Latin retinēre, to retain. See RETAIN.]
            re·tain (rĭ-tān')
            v. tr. re·tained, re·tain·ing, re·tains. Abbr. ret.
            1. To maintain possession of. See Synonyms at keep. 2. To keep or hold in a particular place, condition, or position. 3. To keep in mind; remember. 4. To hire (an attorney, for example) by the payment of a fee. 5. To keep in one’s service or pay.
            [Middle English retainen, from Old French retenir, from Latin retinēre : re-, re- + tenēre, to hold; see ten- in Appendix.]
            — n. re·tain'a·bil'i·ty — adj. re·tain'a·ble — n. re·tain'ment

drop (drŏp)

n.

1. The smallest quantity of liquid heavy enough to fall in a spherical mass. See Table at measurement. 2. A small quantity of a substance. 3. drops. Liquid medicine administered in drops. 4. A trace or hint: not a drop of pity. 5. a. Something shaped or hanging like a drop. b. A small globular piece of hard candy. 6. The act of falling; descent. 7. A swift decline or decrease, as in quality, quantity, or intensity. 8. a. The vertical distance from a higher to a lower level. b. The distance through which something falls or drops. 9. A sheer incline, such as the face of a cliff. 10. a. A descent by parachute. b. Personnel and equipment landed by means of parachute. 11. Something, such as a trap door on a gallows, that is arranged to fall or be lowered. 12. A drop curtain. 13. A slot through which something is deposited in a receptacle. 14. A central place or establishment where something, such as mail, is brought and subsequently distributed. 15. a. A predetermined location for the deposit and subsequent removal of secret communications or illicit goods, such as drugs. b. The act of depositing such communications or materials. 16. Electronics. A connection made available for an input or output unit on a transmission line.

v. dropped, drop·ping, drops.

v. intr.

1. To fall in drops. 2. To fall from a higher to a lower place or position. 3. To become less, as in number, intensity, or volume. 4. To descend from one level to another. 5. To fall or sink into a state of extion or death. 6. To pass or slip into a specified state or condition: dropped into a doze. 7. Sports. To fall or roll into a basket or hole. Used of a ball.

v. tr.

1. To let fall by releasing hold of. 2. To let fall in drops. 3. To cause to become less; reduce: drop the rate of production. 4. To cause to fall, as by hitting or shooting. 5. Sports. To hurl or strike (a ball) into a basket or hole. 6. To give birth to. Used of animals. 7. To say or offer casually: drop a hint. 8. To write at one’s leisure: drop me a note. 9. To cease consideration or treatment of: dropped the matter altogether. 10. To terminate an association or a relationship with. See Synonyms at dismiss. 11. To leave unfinished: drop everything and help. 12. To leave out (a letter, for example) in speaking or writing. 13. To leave or set down at a particular place; unload. 14. To parachute. 15. To lower the level of (the voice). 16. To lose (a game or contest, for example). 17. Slang. To take, as a drug, by mouth: drop acid. 18. New England. To poach (an egg).

phrasal verbs.

drop behind. To fall behind: dropped behind the rest of the class during her long illness. drop by. To stop in for a short visit. drop off. 3. To fall asleep. 4. To decrease: Sales dropped off in the fourth quarter. drop out. 5. To withdraw from participation, as in a game, club, or school. 6. To withdraw from established society, especially because of disillusion with conventional values.

idiom.

get the drop on (or have the drop on). To achieve a distinct advantage over.

[Middle English droppe, from Old English dropa. See dhreu- in
            Appendix.]
            Last edited by salamander18; 03-08-2011, 07:23 PM.

Comment

And the last IER:

Last edited by salamander18; 03-08-2011, 06:09 PM.

Comment

And Portia said,
                "The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
                It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
                Upon the place beneath: it is twice blest;
                It blesseth him that gives and him that takes:
                'Tis mightiest in the mightiest: it becomes
                The throned monarch..."
                To which Mevlana replied,
                "There's someone swaying by your
                side, lips that say, Mashallah,

Mashallah. Wonderful, God inside