Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connections to HoL/OR

Pure speculation at this point but: pets a no no

I thought I'd remembered Zampano talking about some cats. I consulted Wikipedia and found this:

" of Leaves originally began as a short story, titled Redwood. "Redwood" is also referenced in relation to the cats who have started dying and disappearing: "Redwood. I saw him once a long time ago when I was young. I ran away and luckily, or no luck at all, he did not follow me. But now I cannot run and anyway this time I am certain he would follow" ( of Leaves 547). ZampanÚ's linking of the cats' disappearance with Redwood could be a connection to the disappearances that occurred in the and the elusive being which seems to haunt the halls."

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Truant
      " of Leaves originally began as a short story, titled Redwood.
      MZD states that this is not so. An outtake from our conversation (chuckpalahniuk[dot]net/interviews/authors/mark-danielewski) reads:

"REDWOOD never became OF LEAVES."

But cats are running wild all over HoL, both domesticated, and Tigers:
      chuckpalahniuk[dot]net/interviews/authors/mark-danielewski#ftn.19

Comment

Welcome to the forums Kasey. I just finished reading your interview. Great stuff!

Here's a link to Kasey's interview.

Comment

Thanks!

I had a lot of fun chatting with MZD, so I decided to have some formatting the interview. Why read MZD through a typical narrative lens, right?

Comment

Originally posted by kaseycarpenter
            Thanks!

I had a lot of fun chatting with MZD, so I decided to have some formatting the interview. Why read MZD through a typical narrative lens, right?
            Why observe anything through typical lenses? There's always something you haven't noticed right before your eyes. Unnoticed somethings everywhere, much like tigers so I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by kaseycarpenter
              MZD states that this is not so. An outtake from our conversation (chuckpalahniuk[dot]net/interviews/authors/mark-danielewski) reads:

"REDWOOD never became OF LEAVES."

But cats are running wild all over HoL, both domesticated, and Tigers:
              chuckpalahniuk[dot]net/interviews/authors/mark-danielewski#ftn.19
              Kasey,

Thanks for sharing your review and outtakes.

Would you mind if I link to your review on the soon to be created "The Familiar" section on http://markzdanielewski.info?

Comment

by all means

Comment

A kitty got squished by the walls, yes? Right around the time Daisy almost got squished? Daisy's a little girl (eh? eh? ehhh?). I'm sure there's plenty more, but that's all that sticks out right now.

Also, I'm going to put money down that this is going to be another scary one, with the combination of cats=familiars and the number 27 likely having significance. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by po-m
                    A kitty got squished by the walls, yes? Right around the time Daisy almost got squished? Daisy's a little girl (eh? eh? ehhh?).
                    Tom's hands were squished by the walls. pg 345-346. Didn't find any mention of the cat.

Comment

JT encounters a couple of cats in his travels, there is the one dead by the side of the road:

"On the side of route 636, I see a tabby, head completely gone, a smear of red. Probably killed by some stupid fucking I-Don't-Really-Know-How-To-Drive motorist. Nearby another cat, a great big gray thing, watches. Runs off when I approach." (pg499)

In fact, in the pages 491-521 I seem to remember the word cat itself popping up quite a lot. I'll have to take a proper look when I'm not sneaking sneaky sneaks at the book whilst my co-workers are away co-working. I'm sure I'd be a competant co-worker if I didn't sneak so many sneaks.

Comment

In the past, we've speculated (particularly you, heartbreak) that this third work (The Familiar) might represent the branches of Yggdrasil.

Admittedly, we don't know much at all yet about this book---and even having had ten years to think on of Leaves hasn't 100% elucidated why it might be Yggdrasil's roots (yes yes ash tree and all that)---but maybe it's something worth thinking about.

We do know there will be a total of 27 "volumes" (though probably not 27 separate physical entities, assuming 1-5 will be contained in one tome). Perhaps each represents a branch?

Comment

Originally posted by CpVb006
                          In the past, we've speculated (particularly you, heartbreak) that this third work (The Familiar) might represent the branches of Yggdrasil.

Admittedly, we don't know much at all yet about this book---and even having had ten years to think on of Leaves hasn't 100% elucidated why it might be Yggdrasil's roots (yes yes ash tree and all that)---but maybe it's something worth thinking about.

We do know there will be a total of 27 "volumes" (though probably not 27 separate physical entities, assuming 1-5 will be contained in one tome). Perhaps each represents a branch?
                          Large or small, cats do like to sit in the branches. Good idea CpVb006.

Comment

Also I hope I didn't imply that 27 has any special significance to the branches of Yggdrasil, since I haven't found anything like that. To illustrate the theory book by physical book:

of Leaves - the roots. as a physical object, it's huge, thick and study.

- the trunk. it's a skinny book, much taller than it is wide.

The Familiar - the branches, where things begin fanning out in all directions. again, going on what we know/can assume, there's potentially 27 distinct physical entities.

edit: also, weird how the auto-markup for OR works but not HoL : [

Comment

Originally posted by Distilled
                              JT encounters a couple of cats in his travels, there is the one dead by the side of the road:

"On the side of route 636, I see a tabby, head completely gone, a smear of red. Probably killed by some stupid fucking I-Don't-Really-Know-How-To-Drive motorist. Nearby another cat, a great big gray thing, watches. Runs off when I approach." (pg499)

In fact, in the pages 491-521 I seem to remember the word cat itself popping up quite a lot.
                              This passage from HoL immediately came to my mind, too. When Danielewski was doing his tour for the paperback release of OR, he read the end of OR (Hailey's?) and this at a little book store in DC (Olson's? Oct 3, 2007). Perhaps he already had this project on his mind then. Either way, I remember his pointing it out and saying some things about it.
                              I wish I could remember his comments on this section. Was anyone there and recall, or does anyone have access to a recording? It could be that he read this part of the book throughout that tour.

Comment

Working...
                              X