Connections to HoL/OR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CpVb006
    Also I hope I didn't imply that 27 has any special significance to the branches of Yggdrasil, since I haven't found anything like that. To illustrate the theory book by physical book:

of Leaves - the roots. as a physical object, it's huge, thick and study.

Only Revolutions - the trunk. it's a skinny book, much taller than it is wide.

The Familiar - the branches, where things begin fanning out in all directions. again, going on what we know/can assume, there's potentially 27 distinct physical entities.

edit: also, weird how the auto-markup for OR works but not HoL : [
    The Fifty Year Sword is MUCH taller than it is wide.
    , on the other hand, is circular, like a tree's trunk and life. OR would probably be a tree's cycle than it would be it's shape.

If The Familiar is the branches, will there be fateful or destined fruit?
    Now, quickly, in my mind, I imagine this to be MZD's Dark Tower.
    (That might have been a little out of line.)

Comment

Originally posted by Typhonae
      Tigers everywhere, I'm guessing there will be a lot of tigers in The Familiar? Or large cats?

Who knows.
      I'm almost sure that I've read "Tigers everywhere" somewhere, but not in H.O.L nor in T50YS.
      Maybe in the historical sidebar of . . . ?
      I've had a quick look but can't find where.

Maybe just my imagination . . . ?

Comment

Tigers, tigers everywhere, but not a drop to drink.

"Way I remember it, albatross was a ship's good luck, 'til some idiot killed it. Yes, I've read a poem. Try not to faint."

Comment

<font color=#B915CF>O</font>nly Rev<font color=#CCCC4B>o</font>luti<font color=#19B20

"And clowders of cats"
          Hailey 357

Comment

A greater feeling shall follow love, but these 2 tabs of E aren't too bad either.

It's only been 3 years and some odd months, but I'm back, wiser and just a little worse for wear. At least for now; we shall see.

To qoute from po-m: Also, I'm going to put money down that this is going to be another scary one, with the combination of cats=familiars and the number 27 likely having significance. Fingers crossed!

Another scary one?!?! LOL, one thing I like about the wiZards work is that it's always scary, yet not the way most would expect, and sometimes it's suttle enough one can pass over it without realizing the deeper implications.

What I like about his works is the feeling they leave you with when you're done wtih them (they're done with you). That slightly disoriented uneasy secretly violated feeling. Things that make you go "Uhhhhhhh. . ."

With the cat being a "familiar," I myself am curious what kind of magical and/or occult references there will be, and how far he will stretch them.

Also, his books cannot be disqualified as love stories, and I wonder how much of that we'll see in the story.

Food for thought, or thoughts of food.

Comment

A greater feeling shall follow love, but these 2 tabs of E aren't too bad either.

It's only been 3 years and some odd months, but I'm back, wiser and just a little worse for wear. At least for now; we shall see.

To qoute from po-m: Also, I'm going to put money down that this is going to be another scary one, with the combination of cats=familiars and the number 27 likely having significance. Fingers crossed!

Another scary one?!?! LOL, one thing I like about the wiZards work is that it's always scary, yet not the way most would expect, and sometimes it's suttle enough one can pass over it without realizing the deeper implications.

What I like about his works is the feeling they leave you with when you're done wtih them (they're done with you). That slightly disoriented uneasy secretly violated feeling. Things that make you go "Uhhhhhhh. . ."

With the cat being a "familiar," I myself am curious what kind of magical and/or occult references there will be, and how far he will stretch them.

Also, his books cannot be disqualified as love stories, and I wonder how much of that we'll see in the story.

Food for thought, or thoughts of food.

Comment

Life is scary, so I imagine this one will be as well. Probably not as dialed up as HoL - but scary in that it will deal with loss, which, if you want to boil it down, is the ultimate genesis of all fear. So if loss = scary, then I'd say, yes, it will be scary...

...and I agree with the subtle aspect - he drinks hitchcockian cocktails moreso than say, Brett Easton Ellis - or anyone else who traffics in graphics. (thank you, thank you)

This one, in what I envision it as, with what little data I have (think the fable of stone soup here) seems to me to be heading down a darker path, more in line with HoL, but this one will have way more love than OR. I'm thinking the best of both worlds. Remember the man basically lost one of the most important ani-mals (beings) in his life. This from a man who has endured some rather unique losses in his life. So there is that for the engine of the story. And as you may or may not recall, in his interview he mentioned love and wanting said love/companionship - which to me would be the fuel of the story.

I find it easy, if not abbreviated, to write 27 volumes on loss and love.

But, at this point, it is all conjecture and wishful thinking on our/my part.

Comment

Novem ovum nine all mine:

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Truant
                    I thought I'd remembered Zampano talking about some cats.
                    It's far too late and I wish I had my book with me, but there were lots of cats that ran through the tall grass outside Zampano's apartment building; they all disappeared after he died. $10USD to whomever can find actual evidence.

Comment

As Lude told it, Zampano had lived in the building for many years, and though he mostly kept to himself, he never failed to appear every morning and evening to walk around the courtyard, a wild place with knee high weeds and back then populated with over eighty stray cats. Apparently the cats liked the old man alot and though he offered no enticements, they would constantly rub up against his legs before darting back into the center of that dusty place.

"The first peculiar thing," Lude told me, leading the way around a short flight of stairs. "Were the cats." Apparently in the months preceding the old man's death, the cats had begun to disappear. By the time he died they were all gone. "I saw one with its head ripped off and another with its guts strewn all over the sidewalk. Mostly though, they just vanished."
                      That?

Comment

Page 66.

Comment

No.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellimist
                            That?
                            Yup. Thanks. Although I reserve the right to substitute the aforementioned buckage with a wink and a smile.

Comment

99?

Comment

Struck me this morning that the aphoristic tone of the #TF1-5 quotes on Twitter sound similar to the voice on of Leaves, page 45:

Rose's pronouncement recalls another equally important meditation:
                                Why did god create a dual universe?
                                So he might say,
                                "Be not like me. I am alone."
                                And it might be heard.57
                                There is not time or room to adequately address the complexity inherent in this passage ...

57These lines have a familiar ring though I've no clue why or where I've heard them before.58
                                58Though we were ultimately unsuccessful, all efforts were made to determine who wrote the above verse. We apologize for this inconsistency. Anyone who can provide legitimate proof of authorship will be credited in future editions. — Ed.
                                "Familiar ring?" A promise to provide attribution, if confirmed, in future editions? The attention drawn to the absence of a proper citation in this world of liberal (and mostly invented) citation? Not "time or room" to address it... inside HoL?

What do you want to bet this attribution is made in the next edition of of Leaves, and that we'll learn more about its "author" before much longer?

Comment

Working...
                                X