Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I need to write a better grocery list...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I need to write a better grocery list...

So far I only have the following item:

Instant oatmeal that has dinosaur eggs that hatch magically when dissolved in hot water.

What we know so far:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...07567219266917
    http://www.thisisbrandx.com/2010/06/...-of-slake.html
    http://www.skylightbooks.com/event/m...part-slake-mag

Do I get to see any of you next Sunday?

-jt
    Last edited by Johnny Truant; 06-30-2010, 10:21 PM.

I'll add to that:

One pot bellied pig roast
    Mounds of almonds joyfully smothered in green beans and garlic
    and for dessert a ruby red rhubarb pie

Well, I guess mine is more of a dinner menu rather than a grocery list...

Anyways, won't be able to make it out to Skylight this time around but will be eagerly waiting your report.

Also, new sub-forum, AWESOME!

Comment

If you're looking for a copy . . .

Try Book Soup (8818 W. Sunset), Skylight Books (1818 N. Vermont), or Vroman's (695 E. Colorado in Pasadena).

Subscription info is available via the Slake website.

And there's also an Amazon option for this issue.

Comment

Here is another excerpt. Taken from Slake's website.

The Promise of Meaning
        By Mark Z. Danielewski

1. Writers who do not read poetry cannot be taken seriously.
        Which goes (self-evidently) for poets, (just as evidently) for novelists,
        philosophers, historians and (perhaps less evidently) for jotters of laws,
        judgments, appraisals, prescriptions, blogs, tweets, text messages, menus,
        directions and grocery lists.

Without a slow and careful consideration of how words move, form, diminish,
        connect, enact, deceive, sway, detach, destroy, allude, reattach, imply, fail,
        obscure, seduce, reveal, relax, undo, hold, tease, estrange and clash, achieved
        through the patient sounding out of meter and sense, the watchful measuring of
        what inheres and what escapes, writers can no more know what they mean than
        what they intend. They will not understand how in what they are writing they are
        already written and therefore have as yet written nothing at all.

Words are just words. Poetry is something else.

Because poetry is at the heart of the matter.

Because poetry is the heart of the matter.

Because poetry depends on what we cannot do without.

Because poetry defines what we are without.

Because poetry defends why without still matters when we’re no longer around.

Comment

Is the Amazon issue for the first issue? I assume so, but I just wanted to double check.

Comment

Originally posted by ThereIsNoDarkSky
            Is the Amazon issue for the first issue? I assume so, but I just wanted to double check.
            Yup, that first issue is called "Still Life" and that's the right one to order.

I noticed in this article the link that may have been how Mark got involved. It's at the bottom of page two:

Ochoa said she connected with a couple of the initial contributors at a conference last fall in Guadalajara that featured Los Angeles writers. If some of the curious came to glean restaurant tips from Gold, they lingered to talk writing.
            On page three it says "A launch party has been set for July 22 at Santa Monica's Bergamot Station."

Comment

Yesterday's event featured Mark reading his five-part article from the first issue of Slake. We were there and we missed those of you that weren't.

The story is short, taking up pages 14-19 of the quarterly. It is very clever as Mark's works always are. If you've read the two excerpts available on the Slake Media site and the Brand X article, you have read parts 1 & 2. Part three includes proper coloring for and . Part 4 consists of just one line. Part 5 is a scripted out scene.

Mark was clean-shaven, which means he has finally finished his first draft of his next novel. He drew a multi-colored panther when signing out copy of Slake and was described by the editor that introduced him as "looking like a young Frank Sinatra."

I will post video and pictures and links to both when I have the time.

Comment

Excellent! Thanks JT!

Comment

Video by jt:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEtMRayTClk

It was recorded in QuickTime HD, so there's a nice high quality version as well:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...yTClk&vq=hd720

Photos by Michele and jt:
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/shellep...7624366242569/

The video cut out before Mark was finished reading and I didn't want to give away the whole story, so the clip is just the first five minutes of approximately ten. I think the video and photos captures the event better than I could in words, so enjoy!
                  Last edited by Johnny Truant; 07-13-2010, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Nice of the video to cut out right at the beginning of part 3! Thanks JT. It's always a pleasure hearing MZD read his work. I'm eagerly waiting to read the rest. Just ordered a copy on Amazon. Should be here sometime end of next week.

Comment

So do we get to see the multicolored panther?

I was there too, and one thing the photos and video don't show is that the bookstore was packed. I got there five minutes before the event was supposed to begin and all the seats were taken, so I stationed myself in an aisle behind the chairs. Then someone mentioned there were snacks on a table up front. I can't resist snacks. When I got back all of the aisles were filled up and people with no clear line of sight were shifting books on the shelves so they could peer through them.

Glad you got a good seat, though.

Comment

Originally posted by heartbreak
                        Should be here sometime end of next week.
                        What? Amazon tells me that I won't get it for a month starting today. I ordered it maybe a week and a half, two weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ThereIsNoDarkSky
                          What? Amazon tells me that I won't get it for a month starting today. I ordered it maybe a week and a half, two weeks ago.
                          hmmmmm curious. In my order history it is still saying "Delivery Estimate: July 22, 2010 - July 29, 2010." Although here it is saying "Usually ships within 2 to 5 weeks."

Comment

Originally posted by hello?
                            So do we get to see the multicolored panther?
                            Ah yes, meant to post that along with the rest and forgot. Sorry it's all super ick low quality jpg. We tried to photograph it with our friendly neighborhood cat, but he wouldn't pose, and we tried to photograph it poking out from behind a tree, but we didn't have the right kind of tree around to make it work. Then jt got cold, so we gave up and took a boring picture.

I was there too,
                            What! Where's our hello?

and one thing the photos and video don't show is that the bookstore was packed.
                            When I was filming the Q&A I turned the camera around and panned the crowd. Problem is, I'm a terrible filmer, so it's probably nothing but a blurry mess.

Oh. Pics on Slake's Fan Page show the crowd. Also, on the Page Wall there's a comment saying they don't have any control over Amazon shipping it out. Weird.

I got there five minutes before the event was supposed to begin and all the seats were taken, so I stationed myself in an aisle behind the chairs. Then someone mentioned there were snacks on a table up front. I can't resist snacks. When I got back all of the aisles were filled up and people with no clear line of sight were shifting books on the shelves so they could peer through them.
                            Funny thing about the people in charge of something, they never think about the spectators quite the same way. In this case, the organizers really really wanted us to take the snacks...not realizing that getting up to get them would mean losing the viewing spot. But they meant well.

Glad you got a good seat, though.
                            We knew we had to get there early to secure parking, and we had nothing else to do so we just hung out at the bookstore. It worked out for us in more than one way. :)

Comment

Thanks for the pic of the panther! One quick question. I see purple for Pelafina/Creep, Green and Gold for Sam and Hailey, three blue Z's for Zampano, but is there any red in the picture?

Comment

Working...
                              X