Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "This Is Your Library" Event - March 10 in Los Angeles

"This is Your Library"
    http://www.lfla.org/event-detail/720...S-YOUR-LIBRARY

Featuring six-time NBA World Champion and vegan John Salley, actor and Dexter's latest serial killer Colin Hanks, design maven and creator of Unique LA Sonja Rasula, and the acclaimed author of of Leaves Mark Z. Danielewski in conversation with host Justin Veach.

Plus special musical guests The Dead Ships, dublab djs, and Brett Farkas and the Library All Star Band (aka Boyz Skule) and food by Homegirl Cafe, all at the historic Los Angeles Central Library, downtown. DJs, conversation, live bands, bar, and librarians, too. It's your library, afterhours.

Admission 

ē $15 General Admission

ē $10 Young Literati & Library Foundation Members

630 West Fifth Street
    Los Angeles, CA 90071

Saturday, March 10, 2012

7 p.m. Doors Open
    8 p.m. Conversation
    10 p.m. Band

Just an observation here. Why are vegans always identified as such? Itís like ĎNobel Prize Winnerí so and so or ĎX time Grammy winning recording artistí such and such. John Sally, vegan will be appearing. Donít get me wrong, I donít have anything against vegans. My girlfriend is vegan, which makes me about 40% vegan, solely by proximity. And I certainly donít have any bones to pick with Spider Sally, who brought much joy to my childhood in the form of two NBA championships and a number of those early 90s cartoonish t-shirts where the guys have huge heads and tiny bodies. But do vegans really bring out the A-listers or something? Or is it some sort of upmarket social cue to anyone who may be weighing the pros and cons of attendance that there will be plant based food on offer, perhaps even as the only option? Maybe itís used to appeal to some sense of nobility. Like veganism is a badge of courage or something. Anyone that can resist the mass mediaís meaty assault surely deserves our support, however token. We should go.

In my experience though, being identified as vegan tends to solicit awkward looks from servers or concern for the herbivoreís health as much as it does intelligent conversation about the finer points of veganism, or the reasons why a person might choose to not eat animal products. Most people would rather not think about, much less discuss, any of the negative aspects of something they were brought up to consider as normal. Well, not just normal. Healthy even. Maybe Spider will get the conversation going after everyone takes down their burgers.

Anyway, sounds like a cool event. Iíd go if I lived in LA, but alas.

Comment

Archive video is now available. MZD's segment starts at 1:29:15.

The interviewer was the Gravedigger for last October's production of T50YS.

Sadly, Mark is inaudible for the start of the story for The Familiar.
      Last edited by MicheleVR5; 03-11-2012, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Ok I haven't finished watching it yet, just started actually but I gotta comment: Stray Cat Strut, well played.

Comment

Working...
        X