What are you reading...RIGHT NOW?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by heartbreak View Post
    From a content point of view, most likely not but its been a good number of years since I last read Rose so I could be wrong. In the sense that they both deal with semiotics and both authors love to layer meaning and symbolism, its very possible that Eco could have been an influence on MZD when he wrote HoL, then again, it could just be just a head in a microwave.
    I ask because the temple it takes place in features a "grand staircase" and is just down the river from Venice Italy which is shaping up to be vital to TF.
    Apparently TBHalo lives an hour away from the place and has posted some really awesome stuff, love to hear your input.
    http://forums.markzdanielewski.com/f...relates-to-hol

Comment

• Underground Airlines by Ben Winters

Comment

• Hopscotch by Cortazar, after a super long wait.
        Ordered GEB yesterday .. I've been avoiding reading plot descriptions online; I'd like to discover it myself I think.

(Side note: I have a horrible habit of reading a book's wikipedia entry before I read the book ... one of the reasons I think I loved HOL so much is because I didn't get a chance to do that. Now, if only I could go back in time and read A Void without knowing about the lipogram ...)

Comment

• I've started too many books lately, and now they all vie for my (too little) time and (too wandering) attention. ::

The Village on Horseback - Jesse Ball / I love his novels, and some of the short prose in this volume is amazing. Some of them fall flat, especially the novellas (which is why my bookmark hasn't moved in a week)

Paradisio - Dante (Hollander) / I used to think that Inferno was my favorite of the Comedia. That's only because I had never tried Paradisio. Anyone have a translation they like?

The Return - Roberto Bolaño / 2666 was one of the most intriguing novels I've read in the last 10 years, and I also very much enjoyed The Savage Detectives. Some of these stories are great, some are much less than that.

The Death Penalty, Volume 1 - Jaques Derrida / Reading Derrida is this spoken/lecture format is much different than the works he intended to publish, even if he did write them out as texts and read them in the seminar. Very interesting themes, hoping to finish this before Vol. 2 is published.

Lots of William Blake - Been going through the longer prophetic works with some accompanying critical texts.

Rilke - Selected Works / Makes me wish I had taken more than two years of German in high school, though I appreciate the poems even in translation.

Coyote America - Dan Flores / I come across coyotes almost every day in the field where I run my dog. Getting to know more about these fascinating canine cousins.

I'm planning on starting TF v2 when I finish one or a couple of these. After recently moving, my commute has doubled, so I have much less time for reading. Audiobooks have become good friends, but it's just not the same. As far as audiobooks go, I'm on The Renaissance, volume 5 of The Story of Civilization by Will Durant. He was obviously a type of historical genius. So much breadth, but still manages to explore history with a concision of depth unmatched in most historical writers I've read.

Comment

• What Belongs To You by Garth Greenwell is an interesting novel.

Comment

• The Three-Body Trilogy by Cixin Liu

Comment

• IT because the movie just came out.

Comment

• Thomas Pynchon's Bleeding Edge. LOVE. IT.

Comment

Working...
                  X