• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark even wrote an article about the book:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...lewski/393035/

Comment

• Slade - David Mitchell

Comment

• Just finished Vol 2. It was great. Better than Vol 1. Im looking forward to the rest of the series, and have high hopes that readership is ample enough to get MZD a contract for volumes past #5.

I'm reading the Buried Giant now. After that i'll probably read some Pynchon. Against the Day again, or maybe Bleeding Edge

Comment

• Just finished the 'Hamilton' libretto (!!!!)

Originally posted by Slow Dog Noodle View Post

I'm reading the Buried Giant now. After that i'll probably read some Pynchon. Against the Day again, or maybe Bleeding Edge
          Loved the Buried Giant.
          Maybe I'll try to get back into Against the Day sometime. I fizzled out the first time through after page 200 or so.

Comment

• Transition by Ian M. Banks
            Brilliant book.

Comment

• just started the golden braid. The influences on HOL are super apparent and I've only just started.

Comment

• Still working on the golden braid, but due to its intense denseness, ive started reading a bit of pale fire and of leaves(by Tarn not Danielewski.) as well.

Comment

• I should read Pale Fire someday.
                  I'm reading The Raw Shark Texts but I'm a bit let down by it.

Comment

• Ive been enjoying pale fire so far. I can easily see why people thought MZD had to have read it now.
                    The Raw Shark Texts is actually on my reading list, I had only heard good things about it. What about it let you down? if you don't mind me asking.

Comment

• Well, it's a good book, but I thought it was good literature, instead of just a good book. I don't know if I'm making sense: it's a bit like Dorst and Abrams's S., or better like "The Ship of Theseus" inside of it, but without the incredible beauty of the object. It doesn't go very deep with its conceptual parts, which I think are quite original and interesting, and it plays too much with the borderline-fantasy plot.
                      Maybe it's just my taste that's getting difficult, but I prefer books that have some good concepts to share to books which are just fun and exciting to read (which TRST is).

Have you seen the Gingko Press edition of Pale Fire? I wonder if it makes sense or not (since I've not read the book and don't know its structure) but it looks stunning

(This post is making me think that I swerve between "huge concept intellectual lit" and "beautiful and absolutely useless", but have no place for laid back fun. Must be the time of the year)

Comment

• I hadn't heard of the Gingko Press edition of Pale Fire. Looking at it though, yeah it makes a lot of sense ad is kinda really awesome, it will take no small amount of effort to not justify buying it.

I actually think I'm looking forward to the Raw Shark Texts more now. I wasn't really sure what to expect but reading a reserved but positive description helps calibrate expectations way better then raving reviews telling me its amazing.

Comment

• Heh, I read all those books. Raw Shark Texts, I remember only the Shark made out of words swimming towards the reader. That was pretty cool.
                          Godel Esher Bach was a great book, I made me a fan of Bach. I should reread that sometimes, that book cost me 40 Euros.
                          Pale Fire I enjoyed, I read Ada recently and didn't like it. Anyway, I'm writing because you guys might not know what MZD said about Nabokov and Pale Fire:

MZD: Pale Fire is wretched. The “music” is so painful to me. Only because of its alliterations and tidy little syllabic moves does it somehow manage to accomplish something “poetic” without offering up a tic of music. Then again maybe Nabokov is in the spirit of H.D.—whom I do find musical—a kind of imagist. Perhaps my desire to hear music in Nabokov is unfair to him; the acute lepidopterist that he was, he was aware very much of image, and that was what he was netting with words.
                          From here. So yeah, I'm not really happy with that quote but I'm getting kinda used to my favorite authors not liking my other favorite authors...

I'm currently reading a book that wasn't even translated to english: Four Hearts by Vladimir Sorokin. It's very brutal, edgy, transgressive, it would make even de Sade blush.

Comment

• Robert Mcfarlane, Landscapes. Susan Hill, Dolly.

Comment

• Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

Comment

• Originally posted by heartbreak View Post
                                The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
                                I know I this is many years after the fact, but do you think this book might be important to HOL?
                                It seems adjacent at least to TF and I would like to hear the thoughts of someone who has read it.

Comment

Working...
                                X