I'm Going Deaf...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Going Deaf...

I am developing an unpleasant case of tinnitus.

It is so bad I can't even be bothered to check if that's how you spell it. It is because of my computer.

My computer has many fans in it, all of which are clogged up with...well, bits of me, I guess. After years of collecting huge amounts of dust, they all make these little screaming noises, that I suspect if I was listening would be tiny voices shouting "pleeeease cleeeean usss!!". But now I can't listen to them any more because they are destroying my ears.

So, I am going to get one of them fanless power supplies, and a sound-insulated case. I was thinking of getting a Silverstone SST ST-30NF power supply, and an AcoustiCase C6607 B case.

Does anyone here have any opinions of either of these things, or any suggestions about other PSUs or cases I might consider?

Cheers, y'fuckers.

All I can recommend is to read the customer reviews on Newegg.com. They haven't failed me yet.

Comment

I recently rebuilt my PC, and it has two case fans which make a fair amount of noise. When I was similarly annoyed with the field of white noise it produced, I found it made a big difference to put the box under the desk. My desk is one of those built-into-the-wall dealies, so underneath the desk is a dark corner that absorbs sound really well. Pretty much got rid of my problem.

Obviously, I don't know if that's a possibility in your case, but I found it to be a much cheaper and easier solution to my problem than getting a fancier case fan. I did get a cool light-up one, though (it was just the cheapest one they had), so the dark corner under my desk is now lit with an eerie blue glow.

Comment

Originally posted by 1exist
        All I can recommend is to read the customer reviews on Newegg.com. They haven't failed me yet.
        Noted. Cheers.

Originally posted by MoleculaRR
        ...I found it made a big difference to put the box under the desk. My desk is one of those built-into-the-wall dealies, so underneath the desk is a dark corner that absorbs sound really well. Pretty much got rid of my problem...
        Haha that is almost identical to a discussion that I had earlier on today. I will definitely try that before spending anything on expensive cases and PSUs, even if they do look ace. Shame would be to use a groovy case and a groovy power supply on such a lame computer. Real pearls on swine situation. :(

Originally posted by MoleculaRR
        ...I did get a cool light-up [fan], though (it was just the cheapest one they had), so the dark corner under my desk is now lit with an eerie blue glow.
        Thats kinda cool. But I promised myself I would never make my PC look like the Nissan Primeras that do doughnuts around the Homebase carpark.

Comment

Originally posted by fatwoul
          Thats kinda cool. But I promised myself I would never make my PC look like the Nissan Primeras that do doughnuts around the Homebase carpark.
          What?!? Are you sure you don't want to rice out your comp.? You could even buy a sticker that reads "TEAM ASIA." It'd be awesome. You could even install an extra fan that 1) doesn't have any purpose at all, and 2) makes a lot of noise.

Comment

While you're at it, you might want to get a live audio feed to axlrose7000's brain to blow out the rest of your synapses.

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalIdea
              While you're at it, you might want to get a live audio feed to axlrose7000's brain to blow out the rest of your synapses.
              Well, arse's comments rarely make me twitch any muscles except the ones that work when you chuckle and laugh. So axle ain't no big deal to me.

And fats is surely way better (make that supreme) at handling bonzos that I am. So don't you think you're... uh, kinda underestimating fatwoul's resistance powers here?

Comment

Touché.

I'm sure fatwoul could handle him more, no problem. But think about a live audio feed to someone's thoughts 24/7... I think even fatwoul would go a little nuts. Especially with axlrose7000's inability to articulate real thought. What goes on in his head might possibly be excrutiating for anyone else.

Comment

I should think it's fairly excruciating for him and all.

Comment

Don't worry, you'll get used to it after a while. You'll learn to embrace it :)

Comment

I guess you'd then also have to keep fats tied up, cause otherwise he'd do what anyone would do: tear the link off, push the OFF button, change the channel.

And also, the letters xlo make a pretty effective (read: corny) name for a comic book nemesis, don't they? xlo: Excello.

Comment

Originally posted by Ra-ra
                        Don't worry, you'll get used to it after a while. You'll learn to embrace it :)
                        Uh? Embrace axlerose's words? I'd rather embrace a ten foot long earthworm.

Comment

Originally posted by sutrix
                          a ten foot long earthworm
                          Jelly Belly makes Berty Bott's that taste like those. :)

Comment

I happen to like earthworms and don't think they deserve being compared to bonzo. Maybe something like a ten foot cockroach, that would be pretty unpleasant.

Comment

Ha. "Earthworm."

That's interesting, though - I was golfing the other day, and I kind of hit it fat and chunked up a piece of earth, and there was a huge, foot-long earthworm squiggling there.

Just imagine if I'd seen a little Axl squirming there in the dirt, undulating away from me in a slimy ooze.

Would I have sliced him in half with my seven iron? Tempting, but no. Then there'd be two Axls - one would grow a head, the other an arse.

And I know they're good for the soil and all, tunneling in the dirt all day creating those air passages, but so damn disgusting and slimy and hideous. (Wait, which one am I talking about now?)

Comment

Working...
                              X