X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterfly Effect ::spoilers::

Edit: okay, since obviously no one is going to agree that it's the best movie ever, I'll say this instead.
    This is an unbelievably good movie. Not simply because Ashton Kutcher defies expectations, but because the movie itself is brilliant. Movies can have a super intricate plot, astounding special effects, beautiful imagery, clever dialogue, and heartstopping action, but when it comes down to it, my favorite movies are the one that can really make me feel something when I watch them, be it love, hate, fear, anxiety or any other emotion. That said, it's a rare movie that I get out of and still feel the intensity of by the time I get to sleep. I woke up the following morning still brewing about what I though of this movie.

[ January 27, 2004: Message edited by: The Disgruntled Frenchman ]

[ February 10, 2004: Message edited by: The Disgruntled Frenchman ]

Butterfly Effect ::spoilers::

No

Comment

It looks interesting. Tell me, how does it relate to of Leaves?

Comment

i dont care if it relates or not...i wanna see it...i like a good mind fuck as earlier noted...twelve monkeys...Ripper...alot of good shit...

Comment

I have a feeling this is going to be one of those movies that is trendy to like - much like Donnie Darko is.

Comment

Donnie Darko was such a terrible movie.

Comment

I laugh at all you nay-sayers. You know naught of which you speak. If you expect this movie to be trendy/shallow/anyothercondescendingadjectiveyoumaycaretoapplycon coctortranscribeor, then you are simply wrong. Watch the movie. I guarantee you that if you don't absolutely love it, you will at least be highly disturbed by the time the credits roll.

Oh, and Donnie Darko was great, so bite me.

Comment

Donnie Darko is just okay, it is definitely not as great as some people believe it to be. I am not going to get into the whole thing now, but:
                1) I am pretty sure there are holes, it doesn't make complete sense (Richard Kelly has admitted this). Now if you are cool with that, then...great news for you, I guess.
                2) It is almost an Independent film that is trying to look Hollywood (call me condescending, please). A good share of the actors are not that talented (I am a fan of Jake, though), and a lot of the dialogue could be better.
                3) Its director has permitted the movie to be re-released featuring songs that they could not afford at time of production and added scenes to make it more accessible. I do not have much respect for that decision.

EDIT: As for The Butterfly Effect: I know nothing of its cinematic value, I was merely stating my current feelings on it in my previous post. I don't doubt that I will see it eventually, but I don't think that "eventually" will be any time when it is still in the theater. I saw another trailer for it last night, before Return of the King, and I just...don't get good feelings about it. *shrugs*

[ January 26, 2004: Message edited by: WhenNothingWas ]

Comment

I thought it was good until I thought about it some more.

Each time he traveled back it was to a time of a one of his blackouts, EXCEPT the final 'escape.' It cheapened the escape, and therefore the movie. Too bad, too -- it was lookin' to turn out good.

Comment

Actually, I thought about that as well. It mentioned the party earlier in the movie, and I think it might have been his first blackout. I'll have to see it again, so I'll pay closer attention. Anyway, you still have to admit, it's a great movie.

Comment

i liked most of donnie darko. it wasn't perfect, but it was good enough for me to buy on dvd.

butterfly effect looks idiotic, in part because of the star not being able to act his way out of an imaginary bag, and in part because it looks like the sort of pseudo-philosophical pseudo-intellectual bullshit that people seem to adore these days. like the matrix movies, but without all the redeeming (not to mention freakin awesome) action sequences.

but before you accuse me of being condescending or a movie snob, let me say that i have not seen it, so i can't say for sure. i am jusging based purely on trailers. but it looks bad enough that, regardless of how many recommendations i hear, i will probably not see it until it comes out on dvd, if then. maybe i will wait for it to show up on cable.

oh, and i seriously doubt i would be 'disturbed' by it. i have never, ever seen a movie that has 'disturbed' me, and i refuse to believe that an ashton-freakin' kutcher movie would do the trick. unless i paid for it, but that is less about the movie than the fact that i would have paid for it.

Comment

To be fair to Ashton Kutcher I dont think he's starred yet in a film that would allow him to act. He's only been in "Dude, Wears My Car?" and we must all give it up for that wicked ass movie (Just kidding; that movie sucked). And to have any sort of praise for Donnie Darko is just bullshit. It's bad enough that that movie was adopted by every single emo high school student in the country as their "favorite and best movie" because it speaks to their pussy emotions, but when the writer/director himself says that he doesn't entirely understand his own work I lose any respect I had for him. If MZD said that he did not know what of Leaves meant I would burn my copy and curse myself for ever having bothered to read something that not even its author understood.

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by ass_shaped_smile:
                          To be fair to Ashton Kutcher I dont think he's starred yet in a film that would allow him to act. He's only been in "Dude, Wears My Car?" and we must all give it up for that wicked ass movie (Just kidding; that movie sucked). And to have any sort of praise for Donnie Darko is just bullshit. It's bad enough that that movie was adopted by every single emo high school student in the country as their "favorite and best movie" because it speaks to their pussy emotions, but when the writer/director himself says that he doesn't entirely understand his own work I lose any respect I had for him. If MZD said that he did not know what of Leaves meant I would burn my copy and curse myself for ever having bothered to read something that not even its author understood.

the emo kids at my school hate donnie darko. but then again, im not from texas. and i would be surprised if MZD did understand the entire book.

and as for ashton kutcher, he has not done anything that seems to indicate that he wants to act at all. lets not forget, nobody forced him to be in dude where's my car. he chose to be in that movie. just as he chose to be in every other shitty movie he has been in. his only talent that i can see seems to be that of finding movies that are slightly worse than him, so as to make him resemble(without actually being) 'wasted potential.' i would be willing to bet that the butterfly effect carries on that fine tradition.

Comment

All I can say is that every review I have read here in the Chicagoland area about this film is that it sucks. That's usually a good sign that one should rent it or wait til it's on cable.

Comment

Let me go back a ways. This movie is one of my new favorites. I still enjoy Matrix more, and I think Vanilla Sky and pi are more intelligent, but this movie has the right mix of intelligence and 'holy shit, did that really just happen?' scenes to create a great movie altogether. I say these scenes are disturbing because they are believable based on the characters and you can really see how they are essential to the plot as opposed to being contrived for shock value
                              I really think people are slamming this movie as a kneejerk to it having ashton kutcher in it. I'd written a paragraph to shoot this down, but theninthwave said it better than I did, so I'll just direct you to his comment. Also, the later parts in that thread about people laughing in there is true also. Most people went in expecting a comedy and so they ended up laughing at things that weren't supposed to be funny.

It's a real shame that people will probably write this movie off because Ashton Kutcher is in it. What's worse, though, is that if the movie does badly, Kutcher probably will probably avoid doing anything like it again, and he really did excellently in this movie.

Comment

Working...
                              X