X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002/3 David Foster Wallace interview

Taped for a program on German television, this is the first of 10 parts (the whole thing is an hour and a half long):

The other segments are here. Watch all of it if you can. His humanity is on full display here.

Cheers for posting this, it has inspired me to re-read IJ starting today. It never ceases to amaze me that a man of his vast intellect and compassion could be so self effacing

Comment

Originally posted by consider us dead
      It never ceases to amaze me that a man of his vast intellect and compassion could be so self effacing
      Yes. If not for the compassion, he wouldn't/couldn't have been self-effacing. Or vice versa.

It would have been unbearable for me to have watched this a year ago. (Full disclosure: DFW and I are almost exact contemporaries.) Now, though, it made me glad that he was alive and was willing to write and talk about these things.

Comment

It's interesting how being contemporary with someone heightens your awareness of them. I recently found out I am the same age as one of my PHD professors. On one hand it bums me out a bit, feel like I'm behind, on the other hand he has lost almost all respect of a majority of the class and he easily loses control of them. To many empty threats. I still have respect for him, he knows his stuff, and other than the control issue, teaches it pretty well and definitely give him props for being able to get up and talk in front of 180 students. In the end I feel like I'm stuck in some kind of strange void, bordering disdain for my disrespectful classmates and both respect and frustration for and with the professor.

I guess as Cooper would say, I'm stuck somewhere between high school and old school.

Thanks for posting the DFW interview. I'm looking forward to watching it once finals are over, and happy belated birthday. Sorry I missed posting on the day.

Comment

Originally posted by heartbreak
          To many empty threats. I still have respect for him, he knows his stuff, and other than the control issue, teaches it pretty well and definitely give him props for being able to get up and talk in front of 180 students. In the end I feel like I'm stuck in some kind of strange void, bordering disdain for my disrespectful classmates and both respect and frustration for and with the professor.

I guess as Cooper would say, I'm stuck somewhere between high school and old school.

Thanks for posting the DFW interview. I'm looking forward to watching it once finals are over, and happy belated birthday. Sorry I missed posting on the day.
          Yeah, props is cool. It's definitely good to give props where props is due.

KILL THE INFIDELS!!!!

www.myspace.com/pynchonward

P.S Who is 'many empty threats?' You appeared to address this anti-prop to him.

P.P.S Kittee, if you are actually a GIRL, and not somebody on this site who somebody else has created in order to look as if a GIRL would talk to them, please visit my music site, to hear some trance/rap songs. Oh yeah, and you get to see what I look like....

Comment

Working...
          X