A list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A list

ha, I have read two of those and want to read others...

HoL and Ulysses...

I really want to read Gravity's Rainbow...

Comment

I've only read the King book, of which The Body ranks up with some of the best stories I've read.

Thanks, though.

Comment

Um, you do realise that the SK was a joke entry in that list, right?

Comment

Originally posted by fearful_syzygy
          Um, you do realise that the SK was a joke entry in that list, right?
          Yup. I guessed know that.

But I can't deny that I liked the story I mentioned.

Comment

Just finished a book by James Frey called A Million Little Pieces. It's an autobiography about a guy going through rehab. Sounds a bit depressing, but it's so well written and honest, it's well worth a go. I was drawn to it by a Bret Easton Ellis thumbs up on the front, and it's proved spot on. I can recommend you guys check it out.

Comment

I do not believe this!

Just went to the local bookstore and found Infinite Jest! Just like that. Right next to a stupid Swords and Sorcery compilation.

Tell me, is David Foster Wallace a popular author (more so than Danielewski)? Because finding a book like Infinite Jest over here is exactly like finding the proverbial oasis.

The price? 180 Rupees. That's about 4 US Dollars (roughly).

Now if only I could find HOL this way. :cry:

Never mind. I'm starting Infinite Jest right now.

Comment

Comment

I really don't see what's so "tough" about Infinite Jest; I mean I'm finding it quite readable.

I suppose it's tough in the sense that you'd have a job trying to tear it in half.

Comment

I can't see how American Psycho fits on that list. Sure, it's 'tough' in that it's written in a mind-numbingly tedious style, but it could hardly be accused of being challenging in a 'literary' way? Could it? Or did I miss something?

Comment

Comment

No.

Comment

Originally posted by *o*
                          Have you read the comments written by the guy who did the list ?
                          This is apropos of Blood Meridian as well: as straightforward a chronological narrative as one could hope for, but there are a couple of moments in it that, I'm sorry I'm such a wimp, but I just have to kinda glide over as opposed to read them. And, as a critic once wrote of it, it's "not a novel for the squeamish--least of all the philosophically-squeamish." Difficulty can be measured in terms of more than one scale.

I also concur with Mr. Syzygy's assessment of Infinite Jest. I think it's its physical bulk that's truly daunting more than anything textual we find inside it.

Seeing not one but TWO Gaddis novels on the list makes me think that an appropriate addition to the list would beJoseph McElroy's novel Women and Men. Yet another on my I've-Started-But-Not-Finished-It List. Beautiful, complex prose--and a damned big book besides.

Comment

Pynchon's Mason and Dixon should be on there.

Fascinating, artful, epic...and brain-killing.

I'll finish it one day.

And Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury .

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X