• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ellimist
    Oh, look! An update.
    Where ? Where ?

Comment

Haha. Near the bottom of the first post by Hazel.

Comment

Review of Sites Eventually selling the Audio Project

Based on Hazel's update, I've done some research:

MusicIsHere: No DRM, MP3, MPEG4-AAC, MPC, OGG VORBIS, WMA, FLAC. 99 cents per track. So far this is the only lossless site I could find. I've just registered there and plan to buy the lossless version from them once it becomes available. Until then, I've already gotten the iTunes version.

iTunes: DRM, only playable on select devices and only shareable on five PCs. These files are .m4p files, which retail for $9.99 per reel or 99 cents per track.

BuyMusic: Apparently also DRM, WMA, only playable on select devices, and you purchase the rights to play the files.

Inprodicon: DRM filled independent digital music in the Nordic region.

PayPlay: 77 cents per track DRM filled WMA files or 88 cents per track non-DRM mp3s.

Tradebit: Sells lots of digital goods. No idea on format or pricing.

AudioLunchbox: Has up to forty paid for and an additional fifty free downloads non-DRM mp3s with a one month subscription for $9.99. This could be a low cost alternative at least if you want to purchase the set.

GroupieTunes: Seems to be a cellphone based digital music wholesaler.

Interia: Polish digital music distribution.

MP3tunes: 88 cents per track non-DRM mp3s.

Napster: DRM filled MP3s and WMAs. Different subscription models, only playable on up to 3 PCs and 3 mp3 devices.

Ruckus: Interesting offer if you've got an existing .edu email address. Ruckus allows free downloads for all college email addresses. This could be the least expensive way to acquire the reels.

rVibe: Currently in beta testing, so I couldn't get in.
        Last edited by Johnny Truant; 06-07-2007, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I could not even find it on Ruckus and it requires a "Ruckus Player." (not sure what that means for .mp3 files)

Originally posted by Johnny Truant
          AudioLunchbox: Has up to forty paid for and an additional fifty free downloads non-DRM mp3s with a one month subscription for $9.99. This could be a low cost alternative at least if you want to purchase the set.
          That's 90 downloads for 10 bucks. There are 93 tracks in this OR Audio Project thing. So you would have to pay for another month, or just buy the last three from iTunes or another place, unless they are "album only" then you are screwed. (AudioLunchBox doesn't have them either)

MusicIsHere... lossless formats... eh. It's spoken word with some music. Not too big of a deal to me.

I think I am still going to go with PayPlay - cheapest and available now.
          Last edited by Ellimist; 06-07-2007, 04:22 PM.

Comment

That's 90 downloads for 10 bucks. There are 93 tracks in this OR Audio Project thing. So you would have to pay for another month, or just buy the last three from iTunes or another place, unless they are "album only" then you are screwed. (AudioLunchBox doesn't have them either)
            One could always skip three they know they can buy individually through iTunes. Just a helpful hint for any thinking of this option.

Comment

Okay... so... the OR audio project for $10 sounds so amazing, I doubt it is true.

I went to AudioLunchBox... and based on their selection of known bands... I have a feeling... 40 tracks for 10 bucks a month is legitimate... but the 50 free only applies to those independent bands that no one has ever heard of.

I, of course, could be wrong.

So... the audio of AudioLunchBox is the same quality as PayPlay... "as little as 25 cents per song!" ALB says...

I am tired.

Comment

Okay... so... The OR Audio Project for $10 sounds so amazing, I doubt it is true.

I went to AudioLunchBox... and based on their selection of known bands... I have a feeling... 40 tracks for 10 bucks a month is legitimate... but the 50 free only applies to those independent bands that no one has ever heard of.
                That is a possibility. Glad you brought that up.

Comment

Okay... so... The OR Audio Project for $10 sounds so amazing, I doubt it is true.

I, of course, could be wrong.

So... the audio of AudioLunchBox is the same quality as PayPlay... "as little as 25 cents per song!" ALB says...

I am tired.
                  I'm trying this route as we speak. I'll update everyone once I have details . However, even if it's true that you can't use the 50 free (doesn't sound like the case...but who knows..), you can sign up for the 24.95$ plan
                  ($24.99/ month = 125 credits per month + 50 Free Credits), which easily covers the 93 tracks, you can get a few extra albums, and it's 60$+ cheaper than the 99 cents per song option. Same high quality, DRM free, and you can cancel subscription right after you download, if you want. Sounds like a good deal to me. We'll see how it goes in reality. Wish me luck! :-p

Update: It appears that I am an idiot. I read through all of the forum posts, and ran a search, AFTER I paid my 9.99$. Found out they don't have it yet. Bahaha :(. Hope they get it before 7/7/7 (Wow. That should be a good day.. lucky 7's :-p)
                  Seems to be a great deal so far, though.. Doesn't look like there is any restriction..

"SUBSCRIPTION SUMMARY6/7/2007 - 7/7/2007
                  Monthly Credits Remaining: 40
                  Total Credits in Your Cart: 0
                  Total Credits Remaining: 90"

Guess I'll update again when I can actually get the tracks, haha. (Any gauruntee they will be getting the tracks?)
                  Last edited by Elijah; 06-07-2007, 11:38 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this but...

From the tidbits that I listened from cdbaby, I'm kind of disillusioned by the quality of the product. I was all for getting the audio version, but now I'm somewhat unsure. How does everyone else feels about the product?

Comment

Personally (and maybe I'm old fashioned), I'd rather have a physical copy. I haven't listened to much yet though, so what do you mean about the quality? Is it recorded poorly, or is the reading itself not good?

Comment

yeah, it is too bad there are no plans (yet) to release an official hard-copy audio version.

Comment

This is as good a place as any to talk about the quality.

The few places I looked all said the .mp3 files are "high fidelity 192 kbps"... (CBR, I assume).

This also means they are lossy, but whatever, it's spoken word and some music. I encode LAME 192 for any CD rips I do for myself.

Listening to the samples, you must remember it is embedded flash, so the audio quality is shite - not bad, but not worth listening to for too long.

Listening to the same thing, MZD's reading is just completely amazing, because it sounds so smooth and awesome. The music in the background is light and appropriate (Elfman rules). However, the same chord keeps being played in those samples throughout the reels (it's the one that starts playing when they say "allmighty sixteen and free..." in pages 1-8).

Anyway, her voice sounds weird sometimes, like there is something in her mouth... syllables are too "flat."

Oh, and there seem to be sound effects reflecting what is going on in the story sometimes.

I will give this thing a chance.

But, I may end up just getting Sam's side. I don't know.

Edit: Listen to these samples. The conversation parts with both of them. WOW.
                          Last edited by Ellimist; 06-08-2007, 06:31 AM.

Comment

If anyone is good with mixing, what I'd really like is a mix with sam's part in one speaker and hailey's in the other. Of course the closer to the middle it gets, the mix will change -with both part coming simultaneously out of both sides in the middle and then slowly switching sides to the end.

Now that would be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by marsjams13
                              If anyone is good with mixing, what I'd really like is a mix with sam's part in one speaker and hailey's in the other. Of course the closer to the middle it gets, the mix will change -with both part coming simultaneously out of both sides in the middle and then slowly switching sides to the end.

Now that would be cool.
                              I second that.

Comment

and even better would be to have a mix of it in 5.1 or higher surround sound. then the readings (and music) could revolve around the room from speaker to speaker.

Comment

Working...
                                X