X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf Coast Volume 19, Number 2

Since some of you were asking . . .

The below series of plates traces the evolution of Sam Page One over the years.

Special thanks to Gulf Coast "started and overseen for a good while by the inimitable Donald Barthelme."

Originally posted by Hazel
    Since some of you were asking . . .

The below series of plates traces the evolution of Sam Page One over the years.

Special thanks to Gulf Coast "started and overseen for a good while by the inimitable Donald Barthelme."
    cool!

Comment

yeah, thanks a lot for that. interesting that the title evolved too.

Comment

I think the most interesting image is the fourth one, which illustrates the relationship of the history gutter to the story. I have had a hard time making implicit connections, but this seems to show that the words MZD uses correlate heavily with what was going on at the time.

Comment

THAT Only Evolutions are really really great ! Many thanks !

Comment

Excellent.

I also like how the fifth one has dots where the animals will be inserted later. I wonder if the number of dots means anything?

Comment

Maybe the number of letters ? (only supposition, because on my computer, the enlarged pic is not clear enough)

Comment

I really like the term "chronomosaic" (MZD name for the history gutter) because that's what it; is a mosaic made of time :)

Comment

Originally posted by benedict
                  yeah, thanks a lot for that. interesting that the title evolved too.
                  Isn't "Only Evolutions" the title of the article?

If it isn't, and considering we're only seeing Sam's stuff so far, it made me think that perhaps Danielewski was initially going for some sort of Orlando type approach, but that's conjecture

Comment

Maybe the number of dots represents how many syllables need to be filled up? I'm not sure about all the ins and outs of whatever meter there is in OR, but my experience is that there's definitely a rhythm at the very least and he probably had one in mind.

Comment

Joy ! A draft !

Comment

I finally got a copy of this today. I'm thankful to Mark for sharing this with us!

Comment

How did you get yours JT? I tried emailing them several months ago but never got a response.

Comment

Originally posted by heartbreak
                            How did you get yours JT? I tried emailing them several months ago but never got a response.
                            We did that too, but I was determined to find one. I found one used on Google from a bookseller called Books Inc.

Comment

Ok cool. I'll try the second hand shops. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X