Hailey P.15, Sam P.346

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hailey P.15, Sam P.346

This page contains two of my THAT question references. I answered "datura" which is also known as "Jimson Weed." To another question, I wrote a story about a strange experience I had at a gas station. The term "five on five" appears on this page. I can't say for sure, but I always felt from the moment I read this page that it included my THAT responses. So I choose to begin a thread about this page, a review of the historical references in the history gutter will follow shortly....
    Last edited by poco locomotive; 03-31-2007, 06:08 PM.

Hey, let's not make 360 new threads like this.

Comment

Yeah, I thought about that too.

How do you think we should organize it?

Comment

How about one thread?

"Sam, Page one" thread sounds good.

Comment

not to turn this thread into a thread about threads, but i think each page deserves it's own thread... i think this is essential to understanding the book. Perhaps another subforum explicitly for this.
          Last edited by underscore; 04-01-2007, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Or, perhaps some sort of wiki, with information and links about all of one page's historical references, alsong with other notable information (animals listed, capatalized character names, super or subscript letters, etc.)

Again, the whole (currently) unanswered question "how much can we type up without it violating any rights of the book" comes up.

Hm.

Comment

Originally posted by underscore
              not to turn this thread into a thread about threads, but i think each page deserves it's own thread... i think this is essential to understanding the book. Perhaps another subforum explicitly for this.
              How about NO?

That is 18 PAGES of THREADS (with the current default settings).

That is ridiculous.

Comment

It's possible that we wouldn't have 360 threads because we wouldn't have so much involvement that we would end up with that many pages explained.

Also, if we put all the pages in "Sam Page One" then that would be a tremendous thread to sift through to find the page you are interested in. How long would that be?

The search function should work to find the thread you want, especially if we chose some kind of naming format for those threads and then users would know what to type for their search.

Comment

"we wouldn't have so much involvement"?

Are you saying that this project won't get finished? Then what is the point?

Putting all the pages in one thread IN ORDER will work with the first post having links to the rest of the posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellimist
                    How about NO?

That is 18 PAGES of THREADS (with the current default settings).

That is ridiculous.
                    Not if you had a sticky'd index thread such as this one, which would help you find the relevant page. Having it all in one thread would be too unwieldy, plus it would constrain people to posting their observations in sequence. You've been here long enough to know that's not how it works. If people find something interesting on H273 but we're actually only on H14, they're not going to want to wait for the intervening pages to be exted, and so they'll post it right away, in which case they'll get shouted at for not complying with forum etiquette, or not at all, in which case it's our loss (potentially).

Comment

I suppose something like ashisatree could be set up where a handful of users (or more) have access to the member's profile and then make one single thread with 360 posts with that member and then post in it that way.

But, hey, whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by underscore
                        not to worry, I can just edit my first post when I complete the research so that the page info is still all at the top.

Originally posted by Ellimist
                        Are you saying that this project won't get finished? Then what is the point?
                        just for fun...it's okay if you don't do any pages. we'll understand.

Originally posted by fearful_syzygy
                        Not if you had a sticky'd index thread such as this one, which would help you find the relevant page.
                        That's a very good solution.
                        Last edited by poco locomotive; 04-02-2007, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by poco locomotive
                          just for fun...it's okay if you don't do any pages. we'll understand.
                          What?

f_s... good points.

All of these ideas have flaws, particularly having these hundreds of threads on one topic - the history bars. It will be irritating to sift through them all to find other things.

But, hey, we can always just try it with the index and see what happens. If it gets too messy, we could ask nikhsub1 very nicely to put everything together in a better way or something.

Comment

I was only teasing you.

Comment

Well, since every page is in some way linked to three other pages, we could save some forum space by putting all the complimentary pages on the same thread (for instance: S1+H360+H1+S360). While it would cut down the necessary threads by 75% (only 4.5 pages of threads!) and, in conjunction with a sticky'd index thread, make finding a certain page fairly easy, the fourfold correspondence between pages like that applies more to the narrative than to the history, so it doesn't entirely make sense to set them up that way (then again, we might discover connections in the history we'd never suspect otherwise?). Whoever starts a thread on a certain page could immediately add 3 more posts for each of the connected pages and leave them blank for the time being, and then go back and edit them as the information rolls in.

I'll admit I'm not too keen on the idea myself; just throwing out ideas.
                              Last edited by hello?; 04-02-2007, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X