• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurt that bad, huh?

Comment

LOL...

still hurtin'.

Actually, it is the truth that us Americans don't know about cricket. I only do because I wiki'd it about a month ago when you and zakalwe were discussing some games. It's pretty pathetic how ethnocentric our culture is.

It's a lot like baseball, isn't it? but the "bat" is different. ANyway, that's what it looked like to me.

Comment

you are not missing that much. cricket, like baseball is boring... except cricket frequently lasts several days AND then ends in a draw!!

Comment

ummm....FYI, I have a real passion for baseball.... i effin' LOVE it!

Comment

that's cool... do you support a specific team?
            football (soccer) is my passion!

Comment

The Angels...
              Did you notice the web version of the chronology/sidebar on the OR site? The RSS feed includes baseball references! I love that!
              Last edited by poco locomotive; 08-19-2006, 04:27 PM.

Comment

cool. i wonder if that means that MZD is a baseball fan? isn't he from (or living in ) the los angeles area so i wonder if he is either an angels or dodgers fan or neither?

Comment

Just found my UK copy today, after returning from HOLlydays. Could I say greater in colours ? And, by the way, did anyone noticed that The Creep is printed in purple as the date at the top of the Chronology ? Any thoughts ?

Comment

on page S 16 I found that Sam says:

"I wipe out something
                    Somewhere.
                    Allot of somewhere"

Directly next to it in the historical sidebar it says "ashtabula express 90 go"
                    and "bakarganj cyclone 200,000 go"

Is he at fault for those people dying, dude to his ager?

Comment

• Originally posted by xenosss
                      The Wikipedia article on Samsara makes me agree that MZD is definitely repeatedly saying there is no death. From the article: "Samsara is derived from 'to flow together,' to go or pass through states, to wander. Mostly a great revolving door between life and death and a new life reincarnated cycle of life." (emphasis mine)

Hm, did MZD take cues from Wikipedia, or did he edit the wiki to reflect the book?
                      Further agreeing... Samsara is one term we Buddhists refer to as the cycle of life & death, the goal of meditaition & such is to break free of said cycle.

Or, as one writer put more succinctly: Samsara is "the answer, not to the question, "Where are we?" but to the question, "What are we doing?" Instead of a place, it's a process: the tendency to keep creating worlds and then moving into them. As one world falls apart, you create another one and go there. At the same time, you bump into other people who are creating their own worlds, too." -Thanissaro Bhikkhu

Sounds a lot like to me...

Comment

• I was curious to see the most recent event listed in the Gutter in the hardback edition occurred on May 28 of this year.

What's intriguing about that is that those of us fortunate enough to receive ARCs got them back in late March/early April.

It's reasonable to assume, then, that future printings will contain yet more dates.

Thinking about what that might mean for talking about this book hurts my little brain.

Comment

• Originally posted by John B.
                          I was curious to see the most recent event listed in the Gutter in the hardback edition occurred on May 28 of this year.

What's intriguing about that is that those of us fortunate enough to receive ARCs got them back in late March/early April.
                          Last date with events in it in the ARC: May 29, 2005.

Last date with events in it in the hardcover: May 29, 2005.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ellimist
                            Last date with events in it in the ARC: May 29, 2005.

Last date with events in it in the hardcover: May 29, 2005.
                            Oops. I could have sworn . . .

::like Roseanne Rosanna Danna:: Never mind.

Comment

• Not to de(re?)-rail the topic, but...

The Democracy of Two
                              Set Out & Chronologically Arranged

...How the hell was it "Chronologically Arranged"?

I can't realistically imagine the story being un(again, re?)arranged. Not the text anyway. It's so lyrical, it follows a seemingly set progression.

Is this comment to imply that it wasn't always this way? Or does it reference the Gutter?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hemogloben
                                I can't realistically imagine the story being un(again, re?)arranged. Not the text anyway. It's so lyrical, it follows a seemingly set progression.

Is this comment to imply that it wasn't always this way? Or does it reference the Gutter?
                                I was showing the book to a friend of mine today shortly after buying it, and when she glanced through the format, she asked if the timeline was referencing that once Sam's story ends (in 1963), then he's immediately reincarnated as Hailey to start her journey in 1963 as her gutter timeline is beginning, for the cycle to begin again. When I saw the "chronologically arranged" note, I thought she was right on the money - like it was a reminder to the reader that Sam and Hailey's stories weren't happening simultaneously, but in accordance with the gutter.

Comment

Working...
                                X