Leftwrist Twists

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leftwrist Twists

Leftwrist Twist is a common phrase in the book, with a different word added in each time - the name of a stone or a metal. Both Sam and Hailey seem to put a stone in the phrase when referring to themselves (diamond, sapphire, ruby, etc.), but a metal when talking about the other person (steel, tin, etc.) (This could certainly change as I get farther into the book...)

To me it seems that they each value their own telling of the story more than the other person's. Or they both place great importance on themselves.

A twist could be in reference to Revolutions.
    It could also refer to the O being twisted into the infinity symbol, which is being discussed in other threads. Also, O often stands for orgasm (The Big O). Sex seems to be an important part of their story(/ies) - could it be that sex is what's keeping them going on forever? Are they going on forever? Do they think they are invincible, because of their age?

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by katatonic; 04-02-2006, 03:21 PM.

Originally posted by katatonic
    A twist could be in reference to Revolutions.
    It could also refer to the O being twisted into the infinity symbol, which is being discussed in other threads. Also, O often stands for orgasm (The Big O). Sex seems to be an important part of their story(/ies) - could it be that sex is what's keeping them going on forever? Are they going on forever? Do they think they are invincible, because of their age?

Any thoughts?
    Sex, yes--but not procreation, the usual means by which someone perpetuates a part of him- or herself: Sam (up to the point I've read) has yet to ejaculate inside Hailey. So long as they don't conceive a child, they are free, they'll remain young ("allways sixteen").

Comment

Not sure, but it also seems that the Leftwrist Twists function as something like currency. I don't have my book, so I know I won't be able to think of an example. But it's often the case that the 'Twists' are used to grant access to something or to stave off some danger. I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by MoleculaRR
        Not sure, but it also seems that the Leftwrist Twists function as something like currency. I don't have my book, so I know I won't be able to think of an example. But it's often the case that the 'Twists' are used to grant access to something or to stave off some danger. I don't know.
        I'll keep an eye out for that, Moley... Also, I was a bit off in my first statement, about how they use stones in reference to themselves and metal in reference to the other. But they always (at least that I can recall right now) use a less-precious material when talking about the other.

H142- Even with my Leftwrist Platinumy Twist...
        S142- Even with her Leftwrist Silver Twist...

Comment

Originally posted by John B.
          Sex, yes--but not procreation, the usual means by which someone perpetuates a part of him- or herself: Sam (up to the point I've read) has yet to ejaculate inside Hailey. So long as they don't conceive a child, they are free, they'll remain young ("allways sixteen").
          why can't Hailey come? I know we are off topic from leftwrists (which is terribly important, glad K started the thread), but we need a sex thread.

I also think it interesting that their early relationship is like all early relationships...lots of sex, everywhere. It seems to be less available due to their schedules at the part of the story I've arrived at...so typical of relationsips as they mature.

Allways 16, 2x 8? interesting, isn't it?

what is up with all the wrist references, this is something in common with HOL, no?

wrist twists remind me of Indian burns.

Comment

Originally posted by poco locomotive
            1. why can't Hailey come? I know we are off topic from leftwrists (which is terribly important, glad K started the thread), but we need a sex thread.

2.I also think it interesting that their early relationship is like all early relationships...lots of sex, everywhere. It seems to be less available due to their schedules at the part of the story I've arrived at...so typical of relationsips as they mature.

3. Allways 16, 2x 8? interesting, isn't it?

4. what is up with all the wrist references, this is something in common with HOL, no?

5. wrist twists remind me of Indian burns.
            That was, by far, the most erratic post I've ever seen. Congrats.

1. I don't think we've been given a reason why Hailey can't come. But, I do listen to a lot of LoveLine. She could a) just be one of those chicks who can't orgasm, possibly due to sexual abuse at a younger age, b) just not have orgasmed so far in her life, c) have already but doesn't know it. The first two are very possible. I still don't understand people for whom c holds true.

2. I don't think the reason for sex lives slowing down is scheduling. I think it becomes less of a priority. At the start of a relationship, people are often eager to share themselves with one another (at least girls are), to share experiences with this new person in their life. After awhile, many experiences have been had, and other things become more important (like talking).

4. I don't remember wrist references in HoL, but you've read it more recently than me, I think. I remember the toe stuff...

5. Uhh... cool.

Comment

Perhaps it's because she's sixteen....

I'm not a girl but the girls I was with back then, uh, maybe I'll just stop talking now

Comment

Haha.... Yes, that's what I meant by possibility B.

Comment

I'll correct myself before I'm corrected. Maybe it's because he's sixteen.

Comment

Originally posted by katatonic
                    That was, by far, the most erratic post I've ever seen. Congrats.

yeah, sorry about that...I'm in the thick of reading now, so many things are going through my head about the book now.

Loveline is a great radio show isn't it?

HOL wrist references: Daisy, more as time allows.
                    Last edited by poco locomotive; 04-03-2006, 05:29 AM.

Comment

On what wrist do most folks wear a watch?

What do watch hands do?

What is the function of time in this novel?

Yes, I would guess the repeated wrist mentions are significant. These questions really are rhetorical - I wouldn't say outright that watches are being symbolized, but it's what occurs to me so far in the book.

Comment

I can't believe you wrote that, I was specifically coming here to make that exact comment.

I was thinking about how the only time I twist my left wrist is to check my watch.

Comment

Originally posted by MoleculaRR
                          Not sure, but it also seems that the Leftwrist Twists function as something like currency.
                          Yes. Currency, commodity. Something of value, something valueless; something of too much value, something of too little value. Unstable rates of exchange. Labile symbol. Interchangeability of objects in symbolic economy.

Hmm. Elliptical, sorry. I have my own ideas about where to go with this, but they'll have to wait until I've finished the book.

And yes, the Leftwrist Twist certainly does function at times as a watch/bracelet; but at other times it is a wedding ring - most obviously at 180/181, where it binds S and H together, being of Gold, that is to say, absolute value.

Comment

Originally posted by Raminagrobis
                            Yes. Currency, commodity. Something of value, something valueless; something of too much value, something of too little value. Unstable rates of exchange. Labile symbol. Interchangeability of objects in symbolic economy.
                            Maybe there's a good reason nobody's mentioned it, but....
                            Time is Money, right?

Comment

*spoilers ahead*

S52 (my) LwT Bracelet PricelessH309 (his) LwT of Forever
                              S52 (her) LwT of ScatH309 (my) LwT of Scat
                              H52 (my) LwT Bracelet Priceless S309 (her) LwT of Forever
                              H52 (his) LwT of ShitS309 (my) LwT of Shit
                              S55 (my) Lw Wealthy TwistH306 (his) Lw Wealthy Twist
                              H55 (his) LwT of Myrtle and TamariskS306 (my) LwT of Myrtle and Tamarisk
                              S63 (her) LwT of Myrtle and TamariskH298 (my) LwT of Myrtle and Tamarisk
                              H63 (my) Lw Wealthy TwistS298 (her) Lw Wealthy Twist
                              S75 (my) Lw Diamondy TH286 (his) Lw Diamondy T
                              H75 (his) Lw Iron TS286 (my) Lw Iron T
                              S90 (her) Lw Bronze TH271 (my) Lw Bronze T
                              H90 (my) Diamondy LwTS271 (her) Lw Diamondy T
                              S99 (my) LwT of SapphireH262 (his) Lw Sapphire T
                              H99 (his) LwT of CopperS262 (my) Lw Copper T
                              S120 (her) Lw Tin TH241 (my) Lw Tin T
                              H120 (my) Lw Emerald TS241 (her) Lw Emerald T
                              S127 (my) Lw Ruby TH234 (his) Lw Ruby T
                              H127 (his) Lw Steel TS234 (my) Lw Steel T
                              S135 (her) Lw Crystal TH226 (my) Lw Crystal T
                              H135 (my) Lw Amethyst TS226 (her) Lw Amethyst T
                              S142 (her) Lw Silver TH219 (my) Lw Silver T
                              H142 (my) Lw Platinumy TS219 (her) Lw Platinumy T
                              S150 (my) Lw Platinumy TH211 (his) Lw Platinumy T
                              H150 (his) Lw Silver TS211 (my) Lw Silver T
                              S158 (her) Lw Rosegold TH203 (my) Lw Rosegold T
                              H158 (my) Lw Silvergold TS203 (her) Lw Silvergold T
                              S171 (my) Lw T of SilvergoldH190 (his) LW Silvergold T
                              H171 (his) Lw T of RosegoldS190 (my) Lw Rosegold T
                              S180 (our) LwTs of GoldH181 (our) LwTs of Gold
                              H180 (our) LwTs of GoldS181 (our) LwTs of Gold

The pattern is fairly obvious as the narrative progresses, the narrator's own Leftwrist Twist diminishes in value even as the other's Leftwrist Twist gains in value . I think what is charted here is the gradual, reciprocal movement from absolute valuation of self at the expense of other towards absolute valuation of other at the expense of self. That progressive inverse correlation is written into the narrative on both sides at all stages. And at the centre the two sides of the valuation are bound together in 'our' and the fluctuations momentarily stabilize, anchored by Gold, the symbolic guarantor of true value.

Also, it is surely no accident that there are 60 mentions of the Leftwrist Twist in total.

Comment

Working...
                              X