X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

September 19, 1988 - typo?

Could it be that 14, 32, and 46 refer to footnotes, and those footnotes refer to page numbers? It does open the possibility that the nonsense can be translated using echoes (footnote 14 to page 50). Staring at these numbers for the past two hours trying to find a pattern, I might just be hallucinating...

Comment

September 19, 1988 - typo?

this is my 3rd trek thru the book b/c i just got the letters... anything i should be looking out for?

Comment

Wow...1st post...anyhow I'm re-reading the book for a second time and I'm already noticing things that I hadn't noticed before. MZD uses an insane amount of subtle foreshadowing so be on the lookout for that. As for the candle/torch thing, I never noticed it before this, but I have to agree with hello? when he
        The reason I think it's burnt out is because, to me, the "Johnny"s at the top more closely resemble the smoke emanating from an extinguished torch than a flame. Just my humble opinion of course.

The significance might be that Pelafina feels... uh, burnt out. Or abandoned by her son. Johnny was once her only light in the dark corridors of the Whalestoe, but he's stopped writing to her ("so?").... fssssst... nothing but smoke.

And there's also the obvious parallel to Navidson's torches made out of pages, and the last one burning out.

Comment

Counting the "Johnny"s by line,
          I come up with either by grouping:

2-3-4-5-5-4-3-3-1-2-1-1-2-2-3-3-1-1-1-2-1-1

by line:

2-3-4-5-5-4-3-4-2-2-2-2-3-3-1-1-1-2-1-1

or from omitted commas:

14(2-3-4-5) 18(5-4-3-3-1-2) 14(1-1-2-2-3-3-1-1) 5(1-2-1-1)

in any case the last 1 can be used alone.

The date is also 9-1-9-1-9-8-8

I think I just popped a blood vessel. The next two pages are part of the same letter, yes? Maybe using one of these codes, skipping words or something, it will make some sense? The word "safe" on pg. 634. is definitely a solo 1. I'll try it and get back to you.

Comment

Originally posted by po-m
            ...I'll try it and get back to you.
            So?

Comment

Nothin'. I spent 4 hours trying every possible combination. I tried the words in each sequence, the first letter of every word, the first word of every line...all I managed to do was give myself a raging headache.

Comment

Already post in the French Quarter, but seems to be relevant to be posted here too : The Whalestoe Letters in pocket size (but only available in French )

Here's the cover :

I'm wandering how the September 19, 1988 famous letter is going to look like in such a small size... :?

Comment

uh-oh, po-m needs to go shopping...in Paris? :)

Comment

No French library in...Olympia ?

Comment

amazingly no.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by po-m
                          Maybe using one of these codes, skipping words or something, it will make some sense? The word "safe" on pg. 634. is definitely a solo 1. I'll try it and get back to you.
                          well if you take the first letter of each word you get:
                          Originally posted by MZD
                          trcltpdmrdbfevpalSJdewytrepdlckoCapexegMmoQopshsptnsephsdirloveiesmytpoipdlccdteqsdccraesPcWrjdlamingpSstptcrstoorkhhreeewm
                          and then he writes:
                          safe

So, i underlined the words i could pick out[i might have missed a few] but it could be like: "love my safe" or "love too safe." im not really sure.
                          Maybe someone can figure something out from this.
                          =]

Comment

[quote=Kleenex]well if you take the first letter of each word you get:

and then he writes:
                            safe

Hrm. I can't really ...find anything else. Hours produce nothing new...hrm. I shall keep checking!

Comment

Originally posted by Apung
                              Hrm. I can't really ...find anything else. Hours produce nothing new...hrm. I shall keep checking!
                              maybe.
                              just maybe.
                              he did this on purpose.
                              so make us waste all of our time.
                              trying to figure out this "code" when.
                              there is no silly little code.
                              to be found anywhere.
                              in that letter.
                              from his.
                              mom.

[or maybe its just too deep for me]

Comment

Unlikely...just for the simple fact that...well..it's MZD! I think that this may just be challenging, or we're all missing something REALLY simple! Argh! I'm gonna try that long string of letters backwards...then pick it apart. ...maybe that's what it is. Or in a matrix. Or dividing it into lines of 3 (from previous convo.'s)...I have no idea

:: bows down to the elegance of MZD's creativity ::

Comment

Working...
                                X