Good one. Except that it's not new.

A FACE IN A CLOUD NO TRACE IN THE CROWD

quote:
    Originally posted by jay_b03:
    ..."A FACE IN A CLOUD
    NO TRACE IN THE CROWD"
    Any idea on the meaning of this?

Its actually NOT RACE IN THE CROWD.

In other words, don't run run in crowded places because you might bump into someone.

I think the face in a cloud stuff is something to do with Fu Manchu - in one of his films his face appeared in a cloud and laughed manically.

Comment

I have found a new code. On the letter with the obvious code where the first letter of each word makes a message, there's another message. May 8, 1987 is the date on it. Take all the misplaced capital letters and you get the message
      "A FACE IN A CLOUD
      NO TRACE IN THE CROWD"
      Any idea on the meaning of this?

Comment

I'm sorry Fatwoul, but you're wrong this time. The code is actually:

AF ACE IN A CLOUD
        NOT RAC EIN THE CROWD

'AF' is obviously 'Air Force' and 'RAC' is the name of a prominent car repair company. The 'E' is a misprint. Obviously.

As you can probably guess by now, the hidden hidden message is Pelafina's response to a letter of Johnny's (which we don't have), in which he expressed a desire to stop running away, fighting, drowning etc., and become a mechanic. Pelafina is dead against this, because she does not want such a humdrum existance ('IN THE CROWD') for her little boy. So, against her better judgement, she recommends a job in the Air Force ('AF') where he'll do quite well ('ACE').

And it has nothing to do with Poe. Nothing at all.

Comment

The thing I thought about the air-force signals was, if Johnny introduced them, it brings to mind Icarus, stuck on an island (NEWSFLASH: MYTHS LIE) trying to get his dad to return and get him.

Or if you believe Pelafina introduced the signals . . . .

Comment

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE "E" IS A MISPRINT!? Johnny's mother was an intelligent woman, just not right in the head to say the least. It would obviously take some time and concentration to write the letter the code appeared in. Now why would she PLACE a misprint in a coded letter of such grave importance that she made sure was going to get to Johnny!! It would be like the soldier who ran from Marathon to Athens saying "Jackie" instead of "Nike" before he died! MAKES NO SENSE!!

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by jay_b03:
              It would be like the soldier who ran from Marathon to Athens saying "Jackie" instead of "Nike" before he died! MAKES NO SENSE!!

It'd be funny though.

As to the 'E' being a misprint, I've reconsidered. 'EIN' is obviously an abbreviation of 'EINSTIEN'. RAC ENISTIEN is an Italian football team. So, as should be blatently obvious by now, Johnny wanted to become a football player in Italy (remember his trips to Europe?) instead of joining the RAC.

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by Stencil:

It'd be funny though.

As to the 'E' being a misprint, I've reconsidered. 'EIN' is obviously an abbreviation of 'EINSTIEN'. RAC ENISTIEN is an Italian football team. So, as should be blatently obvious by now, Johnny wanted to become a football player in Italy (remember his trips to Europe?) instead of joining the RAC.

LOL, jesus. What a conspiracy... [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Okay, let get this straight Stencil. You're saying that Johnny's mother, in an urgently coded letter placed a second code that says "AF ACE IN A CLOUD/ NOT RAC EIN THE CROWD", which means, according to you, that Johnny's mother wanted him to become a pilot instead of a soccer player for the team RAC EINSTEIN. Why didn't Johnny's mother put the rest of Einstein in the code? And why would he want to join a soccer team in a foreign country that he was only just VISITING that doesn't speak english? I still think it reads "A FACE IN A CLOUD/ NO TRACE IN THE CROWD." I've also come to think that it might mean that someone that was once famous will have "NO TRACE IN THE CROWD." It could be talking about Zampano, maybe.

Comment

umm... Jay. Stencil was being sarcastic.

Comment

I could of sworn somewhere i read that the message is actually an unpublished POE song...or a screenplay by MZD.

[ April 11, 2003: Message edited by: Nackelbend and Zips ]

Comment

Yes it is an unpublisheb song verse from Poe.

Comment

faces in clouds are not obviously the dead once thought of in heaven symbolically placed in the neadertholic posture of 'above'.needless to say faces in there are no longer faces out there.

Comment

The point as I'm not as sure as we all knew it would be is that the only with-out the with-in was without was NOT within the sphere of the decision making capabilities of Johnnies mom. Rather it could not OBVIOUSLY been seen from either with-in NOR with-out without the help of preneanderthalic cognitive abilities transcended of ANY 1750's IDEAS. Get the overhead.
                            ****message to the blind:If that didn't make sense to you, let me put it another way; Could a cloud obscure the sound of a trumpet? Geeeez.****
                            OH. I'm sorry. No, rats ARE cool. Way cool.

Comment

My Bad. Anybody want some cheeto's? [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X