No announcement yet.

House of Leaves movie is casting now...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House of Leaves movie is casting now...

My friends and I have a tiny little *free* entertainment website (www.imaginecasting.com ) where folks sort of "dream cast" movies (or proposed movies). One of our members has submitted " of Leaves" to be cast as a major live action film effort. The whole concept of our site is to go vote for the actors you think would best fit the characters in a given story. Since the subject matter seemed appropriate, I took the liberty of informing you of the effort, and if
    you like it, hopefully you will share this info with others.

Speculation about who will be in a given upcoming movie is one of the most fun things to discuss, and seems to occupy a large share of the entertainment gossip/news industry. Imagine Casting is a website dedicated to this very discussion. Imagine Casting is a free, just-for-fun, entertainment site that allows everyday people to let their voices be heard.

Visitors to our site can submit any topic (an upcoming movie or successful novel, for example), and list the characters in that story. After that, the voting begins. Anyone can cast any actor they choose to play the roles of the characters in that particular story, or choose from a list of already submitted actors for the roles. The choices are aggregated, and popularity is reported on by percentage.

We feel that Imagine Casting is a fun site dedicated to fans of cinema and literature, and serves as a place for the "average Joe" to voice his opinions about who can best bring his favorite character to life on screen (everyone's a casting expert).

Here is the direct link to the " of Leaves" casting page:
    http://imaginecasting.com/imagine/to...p?Movie_ID=676

and here's our privacy policy, so you don't think we're idiots:
    http://imaginecasting.com/privacy.php

Imagine Casting is a free, just-for-fun website dedicated to lending a voice to fans of cinema and literature. And who knows, Hollywood could be watching...

-Jim

Originally posted by jimicorg
    And who knows, Hollywood could be watching...
    ](*,) ](*,)
    ](*,) ](*,)

You could pass this on to that member and/or add this as a disclaimer next to your polls:
    of Leaves should never be a movie. Besides being impossible to do, the book is written as exactly that - a BOOK. Almost everything special and unique about it requires it to be a BOOK. Adding mental images of actors and actresses that have played roles involving teeny bopper movies and other such trash merely trivializes Danielewski's book and meaning behind it. Main point: the idea of HoL in movie form completely debases the entire idea and thought behind it.

I cannot express in words how much I despise the idea of a movie of of Leaves - including "casting."

Of course, my opinion on this has been explained elsewhere, so that is all I shall mention in this thread.

Oh, and off-topic... how in the bloody blue hell would you put Zampano and Pelafina in a movie of HoL!? Zampano is a narrator and Pelafina only has letters!

::mutters to self:: ridiculous...

Comment

I told you, jimicorg.

Originally posted by Ellimist
      ...I cannot express in words how much I despise the idea of a movie of of Leaves - including "casting."...
      Me too. But, in fairness to jimicorg, he contacted me via AIM to sound out the idea of his website, and seemed keen to contact nikhsub to get permission to post his link. I assured him that such permission wasn't required. Hey, at least he posted it in the right place. The idea might blow more than anything else in the history of the universe, but at least he is polite.

Comment

Originally posted by fatwoul
        But, in fairness to jimicorg, he contacted me via AIM to sound out the idea of his website
        Fair enough.

Originally posted by fatwoul
        Hey, at least he posted it in the right place. The idea might blow more than anything else in the history of the universe, but at least he is polite.
        Indeed.

Comment

Main point: the idea of HoL in movie form completely debases the entire idea and thought behind it.
          I hope it doesn't offend when I mention that this isn't the first time someone has told me what a terrible idea it would be to make [insert prose title here] into a "Hollywood" movie. In all honesty, I typically will agree. And yet, *they* still somehow manage to get their filthy meathooks on the rights to this story or that story and manage to bastardize it anyway. And when *they* do that, the first thing people say is, "Well they could have at least left Tom Cruise out of the fucking film, for the sake of all that is holy." So this is the discourse that eventually takes place on my site. We're not lobbying to have the film made, and as far as I know, the author has stated that he would sooner eat his own entrails than sell the movie rights. We are asking the question, "OK, if they're gonna make this into a movie anyway, and we have no way to stop it, then which actors could best portray the characters, and which director could best capture the spirit of the story without turning the film into what can only be described as a huge, steaming pile of suck?"
          Or, even better: of Leaves:The Movie (doesn't that make you want to retch?) is being filmed in only 6 months and you have to to choose to either cast the movie yourself, or accept that the cast of "The OC" is going to get the gig.
          It's just an academic discussion, and even those who rail against the idea of films being made from certain works have taken part in the voting.

p.s. I have yet to read the book, and plan to soon.

Comment

Originally posted by jimicorg
            p.s. I have yet to read the book, and plan to soon.
            You know, I had quite the same stand you have--that sooner or later someone will make the movie--and I hadn't read the book then, either.

I've read the book now, and let me tell you, although I'm still not completely against the idea that HoL the movie should never be made (simply because, as I said, sooner or later, it will), I do understand just how difficult--somewhat impossible--it will be to translate the book to the screen.

Perhaps you will too.

Comment

Originally posted by sutrix
              sooner or later, it will
              No, it won't.

I do understand just how difficult--somewhat impossible--it will be to translate the book to the screen.
              The phrase you are looking for is "completely impossible without it being a different book the movie is based on."

Comment

sooner or later, it will
                No, it won't.
                Okay, it won't. Happy now?

(We, and many before us--at least five threads, huge ones, devoted solely to this subject--have trashed this out. There really is no need to make another, is there?)

Comment

No. There isn't.

Comment

Hey, OI.

(Perhaps the perkiest xth hundred post I've made yet.)

Comment

sooner or later, it will
                      No, it won't.
                      Okay, it won't. Happy now?
                      Yes. Thanks.

Comment

Leaving the whole discussion of whether or not HoL should/will ever make it to the silver screen aside for the moment (and personally I don't see the harm in creating a hypothetical cast, in the sense that it provides an insight into how different readers perceived the characters in the book), my main problem with this particular enterprise is that it is woefully incomplete. Even if you were only going to make a film of The Navidson Record, where is Alicia Rosenbaum? Or Audrie McCullogh. Or Josiah Axnard? Or Mel O'Geery? And what about unknown celebrity 1 and 2? We could at least have some fun 'casting' them, no?

But if the intention is to make all of HoL into a film, perhaps we ought to include characters that actually appear, before we start worrying about the likes of Zampanò, who is dead from the start.

Where are Kyrie and Gdansk Man? Or any of Zampanò's readers? Or the Liberty Bell? Or Karen's sister Linda, or Fowler, for that matter.

What is needed, I think, in order to make this a serious endeavour, would be an extive list of characters in the book.

Comment

Originally posted by fearful_syzygy
                          What is needed, I think, in order to make this a serious endeavour, would be an extive list of characters in the book.
                          Sounds good, and if I wasn't compiling the list of threads for this forum, I'd do it.

A question: you mean every character, even hypothetical ones? What about Zampano's fake references who also make comment on the book? That's not necessary, is it?

Comment

This might provide a good starting point.

No, I don't think it's necessary to cast authors of books cited, although you will notice how MZD puts on different voices for all of them in his readings, often to hilarious effect.

Mainly I'm interested in seeing how other people 'saw' the characters as they were reading, and often (at least in my case) I had a much stronger impression of what minor characters 'looked like' in my mind than major characters. I still can't decide who I think would make a good Johnny, but Alicia Rosenbaum has always been Jennifer Beals for me, even when I first read the book. Funny that, really.

Comment

Originally posted by fearful_syzygy
                              This might provide a good starting point.

No, I don't think it's necessary to cast authors of books cited, although you will notice how MZD puts on different voices for all of them in his readings, often to hilarious effect.

Mainly I'm interested in seeing how other people 'saw' the characters as they were reading, and often (at least in my case) I had a much stronger impression of what minor characters 'looked like' in my mind than major characters. I still can't decide who I think would make a good Johnny, but Alicia Rosenbaum has always been Jennifer Beals for me, even when I first read the book. Funny that, really.
                              Those French forum folks really are better than us English forum posters. For sure.

For some reason I only picture Johnny as an archetypical cowboy minus the hat and boots and other accessories. I don't picture specific actors or even faces, just archetypes.

Except Billy Reston. I see they black guy from Terminator 2 (Dyson) sitting in that wheelchair. Yessiree, I do.

Comment

Working...
                              X