House of Leaves movie is casting now...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sutrix
    I don't picture specific actors or even faces, just archetypes.
    Damn, I've been contemplating a Bollywood version of HoL for ages.

Amitab Bachchan: Will Navidson
    Shah Rukh Khan: Wax
    Hritik Roshan: Jed
    Aishwarya Rai: Karen

Amrish Puri: Zampanò

And so on...

Comment

Originally posted by fearful_syzygy
      Amitab Bachchan: Will Navidson
      Shah Rukh Khan: Wax
      Hritik Roshan: Jed
      Aishwarya Rai: Karen

Amrish Puri: Zampanò

And so on...
      There's a slight chance that you have ruined the book for me by mentioning Hrithik Roshan, that talentless six-fingered manhack.

You got Zampano absolutely right. Shame that Amrish Puri is dead.

Karen. Ash?

Amitabh's way too old to play Navy, I think. But I can't think of anyone else either.

And who's Holloway?

Comment

Originally posted by sutrix
        You got Zampano absolutely right. Shame that Amrish Puri is dead.
        Yeah, but then so's Zampanò.

Comment

Very apt, but therein lies the problem, y'know. How are you gonna do Zampano's voiceovers (which, I think, would be very essential to a movie) using a dead man's (Amrish Puri's) voice?

Holloway: Pran.

Watch Amitabh Bachchan's Zanjeer to find out who this ruthless villian with principles is.

Comment

To be completely honest, when I read books, I don't have faces for the characters. I'll see hands, neck, hair, and everything else, but I can't put a face on them. There might be something that goes there, but it's just a blank that can't actually be filled in. The fact that a face is there, sure, but what's in my head is nothing that can be described.

Unless I've seen the movie first, then sometimes the actor's face will be there. Which will actually not happen if the character in the book turns out to be quite different than the films create. Take James Bond for example.

That said: when I went to download the MP3's and listened to them, I started thinking of Johnny Depp whenever I thought of Johnny Truant. The faces don't line up when I think of them together, but for some reason... But because the voices are the same, it kinda happened with Navidson, too.

In either case, it's not the Johnny Depp from anything Tim Burton has cast him in. Probably a look clsoer to Secret Window.

*shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalIdea
              To be completely honest, when I read books, I don't have faces for the characters. I'll see hands, neck, hair, and everything else, but I can't put a face on them.
              Most of the times I don't even see those details.

Unless I'm reading about something not quite human. Then I picture it with almost perfect clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by fearful_syzygy
                Leaving the whole discussion of whether or not HoL should/will ever make it to the silver screen aside for the moment (and personally I don't see the harm in creating a hypothetical cast, in the sense that it provides an insight into how different readers perceived the characters in the book), my main problem with this particular enterprise is that it is woefully incomplete. Even if you were only going to make a film of The Navidson Record, where is Alicia Rosenbaum? Or Audrie McCullogh. Or Josiah Axnard? Or Mel O'Geery? And what about unknown celebrity 1 and 2? We could at least have some fun 'casting' them, no?

But if the intention is to make all of HoL into a film, perhaps we ought to include characters that actually appear, before we start worrying about the likes of Zampanò, who is dead from the start.

Where are Kyrie and Gdansk Man? Or any of Zampanò's readers? Or the Liberty Bell? Or Karen's sister Linda, or Fowler, for that matter.

What is needed, I think, in order to make this a serious endeavour, would be an extive list of characters in the book.
                AGREED.
                All characters should be included, and just as I have done with Stephen King's Dark Tower series, wherein I went to the darktower.net site and solicited opinion as to which characters are missing from the cast list, I will ask for the same input from this panel of fans/experts on the story.
                If the person who originally submitted the idea to my site is a twit, and has omitted characters from the book, please let me know, either in this forum or in the http://imaginecasting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=568 forum on my site, and I will be sure to add them. also, if the description for the HoL cast could be improved, i'm willing to make changes to that.
                Point is, without input from those who love the prose, how could anyone even hold a discussion beyond the book, and into a proposed film that i know you all think will suck.

Comment

Personally if it were ever to be made into a film, which I really do hope it's not, I'd want complete unknowns to fill all the parts. I wouldn't want to think of a major hollywood player every time I think of Will or Zampano.

Comment

Originally posted by Farehamer
                    Personally if it were ever to be made into a film, which I really do hope it's not, I'd want complete unknowns to fill all the parts. I wouldn't want to think of a major hollywood player every time I think of Will or Zampano.
                    Much as I hated everything else he ever posted, I did actually like axl's cast list for HoL: The Movie.

Comment

You fucking idiots. I haven't posted here in a while but this makes me sick. WHY THE FUCK DOES EVERYONE HAVE TO CAST JOHNNY DEPP FOR GODDAMN EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAARRGGGH!!!!!! Johnny Truant was 26 years old!!! Johnny Depp is a full grown adult!!!! And Angelina Jolie as Pelafina?! Are you off your fucking rocker jimicorg?!!!? Pelafina was in her 50s!!! And she wasn't some hot A-list Hollywood beauty icon! And Will Ferrell as Tom?!!! FFFUUUUCCCK YOUUUU!!!!!! I bet you were sitting there thinking "hmmmm....well Tom's a funny guy.....who else is funny.....WILL FUCKIN FERRELL!!! PERFECT!!! Let's cast Ferrell and hopefully nobody will notice he's not all that fat, and bares NO resemblence to any of the Navidson cast actors WHATSOEVER!!"

Jesus Tapdancing Christ, am I the only one whose so upset by these COMPLETELY wrong people being chosen?! I mean, shit, you could've AT LEAST picked realistic characters.

And hey, while we're at it, I think Brad Pitt would make and EXCELLENT Zampano......don't you guys agree?! *rolls eyes so far back into head, they do a full 360*

Comment

How about Brittany Murphy as Pelafina?

Kidding!

Calm down, man. You're sounding like Admiral_Shanks on one of his less spelling-holia days.

You know who should play Zampano, though? Seriously? Ben Kingsley. He's perfect. I'm not kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Desplain
                          You fucking idiots. I haven't posted here in a while but this makes me sick. WHY THE FUCK DOES EVERYONE HAVE TO CAST JOHNNY DEPP FOR GODDAMN EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAARRGGGH!!!!!! Johnny Truant was 26 years old!!! Johnny Depp is a full grown adult!!!! And Angelina Jolie as Pelafina?! Are you off your fucking rocker jimicorg?!!!? Pelafina was in her 50s!!! And she wasn't some hot A-list Hollywood beauty icon! And Will Ferrell as Tom?!!! FFFUUUUCCCK YOUUUU!!!!!! I bet you were sitting there thinking "hmmmm....well Tom's a funny guy.....who else is funny.....WILL FUCKIN FERRELL!!! PERFECT!!! Let's cast Ferrell and hopefully nobody will notice he's not all that fat, and bares NO resemblence to any of the Navidson cast actors WHATSOEVER!!"

Jesus Tapdancing Christ, am I the only one whose so upset by these COMPLETELY wrong people being chosen?! I mean, shit, you could've AT LEAST picked realistic characters.

And hey, while we're at it, I think Brad Pitt would make and EXCELLENT Zampano......don't you guys agree?! *rolls eyes so far back into head, they do a full 360*
                          It needed to be said.

Comment

Not that it hasn't been said already, in one way or another.

And to defend my attack: I didn't say I thought Johnny Depp was great for the role. It was only after listening to the way MZD read the character that I thought it sounded like Depp could do it; he sounds like that in his subtler, quieter roles. Not to mention Depp was also a drug addict for a while. (By the way, isn't 26 a full grown adult, too? Perhaps, instead of yelling like crazy at what's been posted, you could offer your own suggestions. Eh?)

Let me conclude, however, with what I think I said initially: We shouldn't bother casting any of these.

Hm... checked my posts: No, I didn't say that, but I'm sure several people did.

Comment

Originally posted by Desplain
                              I haven't posted here in a while
                              Couldn't you have kept it that way....?

Comment

Ha!

I think Kevin Spacey is the only American actor with enough gall to play Navy. Johnny Depp is a pretty talented actor, but he's been sucking a lot lately. I see Kathy Bates being Pelafina for some reason..or that lady who played the mother on Requiem for a Dream...what was her name?...
                                Anyhoo, as long as Britney fucking Spears is in there shaking her ass somewhere it would be a damn fine film, eh? Anybody? No?

Comment

Working...
                                X