X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowfall

The desire was too much, like trompsing through a field blanketed in freshly fallen snow just to make footprints.

What a waste - the absence of posts was so nice.

You ass.

Oh hell, I did it too.

Comment

Why didn't anyone tell me there was an S&M version of HoL coming out?!

Comment

Apart from MZD's insistence on releasing the book in many languages, I still don't see the point of having so many versions of the book.

I don't even know what language this is.

Comment

Originally posted by sutrix
          I don't even know what language this is.
          And you are the center of the universe?

What's it to you, anyway?

Comment

1. What the hell does that mean? The point is that people who's native language is not English can read the book. What is the point of translating any book?

2. It's Serbo-croat, by the looks of it. That's what they speak in the former Yugoslavia.

Comment

Originally posted by katatonic
              the center of the universe?
              That's America.

Comment

Originally posted by fearful_syzygy
                1. What the hell does that mean? The point is that people who's native language is not English can read the book. What is the point of translating any book?
                I'm not ranting, if that's how it sounds.

It's quite the opposite: is MZD's intention to introduce as many possible inconsistencies through as many different publishing avenues possible? Are there enough readers to even bother translating into a language? Judging from the various language forums right here (apart from the French), translated versions aren't doing so hot. So what's the point?

Comment

You're right.

HEY YOU FOREIGN TYPES! STOP SPEAKING YOUR NATIVE LANGUAGES! ONLY ENGLISH FROM NOW ON, OK?

Comment

You're right.

HEY YOU FOREIGN TYPES! STOP SPEAKING YOUR NATIVE LANGUAGES! ONLY ENGLISH FROM NOW ON, OK?

My point is not that there should not be translated versions. My point is that with this particular book, considering the many different editions of the English version itself, it can't just be a simple case of translating in order to let the natives read in their preferred language--it has to be something else. And judging by the activity at the forums, it's not working.

Happy 3000th!

Comment

Happy 3000th!
                      Crap, now look what you've done.

What a waste. :(

Comment

Originally posted by katatonic
                        the center of the universe?
                        That's America.
                        If you say so.

Happy 3000, f_s!!

Comment

Thank you, my dear.

As for translations, I still don't see what the problem is. Yes, I agree it must be a Sysiphian task to translate the book, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be attempted. I can only imagine that MZD wants his book translated into as many languages as possible, not just so they can put it in the blurb for , but also because the dissemination and distortion of this material is part of what the book is about. Personally, I suspect that the reason MZD offers translators no help whatsoever is that he's hoping any foreign-language version will be riddled with Translator's notes, adding a new layer of mediation and (mis)interpretation. Now, objectively we may we may lament non-native speakers' inability to read the 'official' text, but what are you going to do? Try seeing HoL as a text that gains in translation, to use David Damrosch's term.

Comment

Originally posted by Trixie
                            And judging by the activity at the forums, it's not working.

Happy 3000th!
                            Ditto, f_s you are 6 times the poster i am.

Sutrix, in my mind, the lack of activity on most of the foriegn forums does not necessarily equate to lack of interest for HoL in foriegn markets.

Comment

but also because the dissemination and distortion of this material is part of what the book is about. Personally, I suspect that the reason MZD offers translators no help whatsoever is that he's hoping any foreign-language version will be riddled with Translator's notes, adding a new layer of mediation and (mis)interpretation.
                              Yes, but we're certainly not getting any (well, not a lot, in any case) foreign language members to point out the differences, are we? That is what my point is. Translating in a native language is good, I repeat, but if MZD's intention is to further broaden the scope of the book by introducing all sorts of inconsistencies which may or may not further/clear the various aspects and puzzles of the book, then so far it has been something of a lost cause.

Yes, I agree it must be a Sysiphian task to translate the book, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be attempted.
                              As I said, I'm not saying that it shouldn't be attempted, either. I just don't see the point in MZD pushing the translations so hard... well, fuck it: what I'm really bitching about is that MZD should hurry up with and then he can translate both books in Simspeech or Vortigauntspeech for all I care. I'm just a patienceless bugger; is that so wrong?

Originally posted by marsjams13
                              Ditto, f_s you are 6 times the poster i am.
                              You failed Elementary Math, didn't you?

Originally posted by marsjams13
                              Sutrix, in my mind, the lack of activity on most of the foriegn forums does not necessarily equate to lack of interest for HoL in foriegn markets.
                              Why not? Are you saying that people read the book, but then either don't post on the forum and keep visiting as guests or simply don't bother with the forum at all? I can't think of anyone who'd read the book and not want to explore more.

Comment

Working...
                              X