so... about that growl?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so... about that growl?

Perhaps this is an oversight that my simple mind just can't grasp, but there was one glaring question that after I finished HoL for the first time, I simply did not feel was answered.

The growl. What is it, is it ever determined, etc?

It was never actually Identified in the book....I still have to believe that it was the actually changing shape. There was no "monster" per se...the WAS the monster.....hence the destruction of the markers and supplies and such.... Just a opinion tho....

Comment

Yeah, I think it was hypothesized in the book that it was the actual transformation of the . That is why things disappeared and markers were torn apart. In such a dark and cold place there is no doubt that the minds of the explorers turned that groan into a monster lurking in the dark, just like we did when we were imagination riddled children.

Comment

Not to imply that I have an understanding of the growl, or of its nature, but I think it is helpful to consider the various ways in which it might be important to understanding the book . . . that is, aside from its presence in the Navidson Record.

So, to start you might say that the growling is either being produced by an existing entity(that is either an actual beast or the itself.) OR it is simply a metaphorical concept--(or both of these things)

BUT--keep in mind, in either sense, the growl is present throughout all three layers of the narrative--

At some point in the beginning of the book Johnny mentions the claw marks on Zampano's floor. Johnny himself (though his "anxiety" or agoraphobic tendencies) on several occasions hears growling, and encounters a beast of sorts, and of course, the obvious presence of the ambiguous growling within the .

The fact that this growling, or the presence of a beast (either literal or metaphorical) is inherent on all three layers of the narrative, for me implies that there is definitely something more to it, than being simply the sound of the shifting.

However, I personally do not think that there is an ACTUAL beast within the either.

In short, I'm just advising that if you hope to understand the growling, you might want to examine it further, in all areas of the book, and in which context it presented compared to the other layers of narration. (i.e. what seems to provoke the emergence of the beast, or growling for each individuals experience with it)

I'm actually doing similar examinations currently, however I'm approaching it from a perspective that I'm not going to get into right now, as I do intend to post my findings on here when I feel they are formed enough to actually offer any insight of the subject, and hopefully, gain some insight as well!

p.s. Does anyone recall the presence of a beast of growling within the Whalestoe letters? Any vauge mentions or implications? I havent read it in a while, I cant remeber it ever being there . . . which may imply something that I read about the other day--the not so popular theory that the book itself is NOT actually written by Zampano, but by P. Perhaps the absence of the beast on her level of narration may suggest that the beast is nothing more than a literary theme implemented through out HER book. IDK, I'm gonna stop talking about it (until I actually investigate it)
        Last edited by aE_tC_Her_O; 11-25-2011, 12:36 PM.

Comment

I had a theory, alas shot down before it was full-fledged. (.../showthread.php?6896-Regarding-quot-The-Growl-quot-... - grr, not allowed to post URLs unless I hit 15 posts...)
          I mourn it.

OK, not really. I just made that up.

My name's not Johnny.

Comment

The growl could be a manifestation of the 's metamorphosis, as others have stated, or it could be a representation of the 'Minotaur', per say. If we see the and the labyrinth as Z's own inner prison, then the Minotaur must be the memory of his dead son, Johnny - and its this secret, this growl, that permeates throughout the book and affects every character. In his nightmares, Johnny would sometimes become a rage-filled, deformed beast: in my opinion, this merely reinforces the link between him and the Minotaur. He also fears this dark think while waking, mainly because that's what he is. He is afraid of his own unraveling.

Comment

The growl could be a manifestation of the 's metamorphosis, as others have stated, or it could be a representation of the 'Minotaur', per say. If we see the and the labyrinth as Z's own inner prison, then the Minotaur must be the memory of his dead son, Johnny - and its this secret, this growl, that permeates throughout the book and affects every character. In his nightmares, Johnny would sometimes become a rage-filled, deformed beast: in my opinion, this merely reinforces the link between him and the Minotaur. He also fears this dark think while waking, mainly because that's what he is. He is afraid of his own unraveling.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X