Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HoLA: Weeks 2&3 (May 29-Jun 11) pp.41-73,584-644 (94 pgs)-Post here from June 12th on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HoLA: Weeks 2&3 (May 29-Jun 11) pp.41-73,584-644 (94 pgs)-Post here from June 12th on

of Leaves Again: The 2009 Re-Read!

This discussion begins Friday, June 12th over pages 41-73 and 584-644 (Appendix II-D,E: Donnie's Obit. and The Whalestoe Letters).

Don't forget to cite the page numbers you wish to reference and quote people in posts.

No spoilers allowed, please. This means that no material in this thread should reference things outside pages already read.

Because we have to make this restriction, you may have already guessed, the rest of the forum does not take this precaution. To my knowledge, these re-read threads are the only spoiler-free areas of the forums.
    Last edited by Ellimist; 06-10-2009, 08:18 PM.

f=c/2[(n/L)^2+(m/W)^2+(p/H)^2]^1/2 Hz

the only thing i know from that formula is the balance in the pool is exponentially high

Comment

Balance of what in what pool?

p. 50

So, it's a real equation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acousti...ectangular_box

It seems very odd to me that (M)Z(D) would choose n, m, p for the "nonnegative integers"* when l, m, n, or even other more common ones could have been chosen. Hell, even a, b, c. By common, I mean, common in use by people who use the 3D indexes like that.

* For those interested, n, m, p (or l, m, n) are actually the number of pressure nodes in a standing wave.

Also, the speed of sound is typically around 343 m/s at 20 C (68 F) in air. ((M)Z(D) writes 1130 ft/s at 68 F which is closer to 344 m/s (which divides by 4 evenly to 86)

Of course the entire point of that short, seemingly non-sequitur passage is to say that if a hallway or room or something was infinitely long and wide and high, then there would be no resonance...

More on this later.
      Last edited by Ellimist; 06-10-2009, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellimist
        Of course the entire point of that short, seemingly non-sequitur passage is to say that if a hallway or room or something was infinitely long and wide and high, then there would be no resonance...
        Always/hallways

Comment

Sure, but what about the pool?

Comment

i saw ph and thought about checking my pools chemical level to make sure the ph balance was correct, oddly enough, it was horribly off.

Comment

On page 603 there is a line across the bottom of the page. The next letter, July 24, 1985, talks of the old director leaving and a new director that is more then sympathetic towards Johnny's mother.

One bit of bad news: The old director has left. The new one seems more indifferent to my emotional patterns. He's convinced, I regret to say, that my convalescence requires greater restrictions. Though I doubt he'd admit it, the New Director sneers whenever he addresses me.
              Then on page 634 we have another line, this one across the middle of the page. In the next letter, Nov 1, 1988, Pelafina says that there never was a New Director, that the Old Director was The Director all along.

...that the New Director is in fact none other than the Old Director...
              This leads me to suggest two possible interpretations. One, that the things she writes about the New Director never actually happened and she hallucinated the whole thing.

Or that the Old Director's personality and treatment in regard to Pelafina changed for some reason. Pelafina, not being able to deal with the way someone she trusted was treating her, conjured up the idea of the New Director to cope during that time.

Comment

^
                Heartbreak, you're a bit too far away (for sure)...

Comment

Originally posted by The Coma-Man
                  ^
                  Heartbreak, you're a bit too far away (for sure)...
                  What do you mean?

Comment

Working...
                  X