Zampano's Floor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zampano's Floor

I finished reading HoL this weekend, and went back and re-read a little bit of the begining information that I missed. Anyhow, I was left with one particular question.

Were the long scratches found in Zampano's floor after he died ever explained in the book, or at the very least were there any hints or infered information concerning this that I may have simply missed?

I'd appreciate anyone's help.

Zampano's Floor

The same types of marks found on zampano's floor were also found on the walls in Navidson's .

Comment

Zampano's Floor

To me, the markings on Zampano's floor suggest the presence of a minotaur. Whether this creature was created by Zampano and Navy or whether it previously existed and hunted them down I have no idea. But perhaps it became so tangible to old man Z that it manifested in his apartment and made the scratches. Otherwise, no ideas.

--Dana

Comment

Zampano's Floor

my take is that this was left by the creature zampanů had become...

Comment

Zampano's Floor

I had gotten the feeling that Zampano himself left them...But it also seemed like whatever did it could have been what creeped up on Johnny in the tattoo shop.

Comment

Zampano's Floor

I think the claw marks are representative of Zampano's obsession (the Navidson Record), which combined with his isolation and loneliness (Pelafina is no more at this point) manifests itself in the claw marks.

After all, Johnny tells us the Cops have no reason to suspect foul play, as Old Man Z seems to have died peacefully. But from what we know of Zampano, I don't think a peaceful death was ever an option.

Comment

Zampano's Floor

What it brought to mind for me was the bit in Se7en where the writing behind the fridge is discovered because of scratches on the floor (caused by the fridge being moved)...

So, what was moved in (or removed from ?) Zampano's place ?

Comment

Zampano's Floor

You see, I didn't think that Zampano himself made the marks or lacked "the ability to die a peaceful death". It didn't seem that Zampano broke down in any hostile or violent fashion when dealing with information on the . His daily walk outside and visitors were signs of how he was different than Johnny (who simply cut himself off from as much as society as possible). I also see the fact that cats walked along with him outside as another sign because usually, in literature, animals are the one creatures that see the "inner person".

I like the idea that it was simply his manifestation of the Minotaur (which would explain why he crossed out the passages on the Minotaur), much like the thing that "snuck up" on Johnny in the tattoo shop (although Johnny's wasn't a defined being).
                ---
                "You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Comment

Zampano's Floor

That's a fair point Wicketsnatcher, but I am inclined to think that Zampano's last days were far more traumatic. This is because I think Zampano's relationship with the Navidson Record was far more than that of scholarly interest. I think Zampano was terrified of the contents of the Record (or perhaps some element of the Record).

Witness Zampano's apartment and the defensive measures taken to preserve it's integrity. Also the disappearances and gruesome deaths (decapitation etc) of the '80 or so' cats which had previously walked with Zampano.

I strongly suspect that Zampano was guilty of a horrible crime at an earlier stage in his life, and that his lonely death was by no means peaceful.

Comment

Zampano's Floor

What is a grue?

Comment

Zampano's Floor

It is a perjorative term applied to persons who develop an infantile obsession with pieces of fiction which feature tattooists (Johnny), Norse mythology (Ygdrassil) and hostage rescue scenarios in a post cold-war international environment (see Chap XI).

Comment

Zampano's Floor

Wow... here I was just thinking I was clever and making a funny Zork reference.

That is, of course, if Delerium was defining what a "grue" is. I always thought it was just an inky black monster that you couldn't see that ate you if you didn't turn on a light soon enough.

(For any reading this with small vocabularies, like me, if you attempt to look up 'perjorative' in a dictionary and do not find it, I think it was suppose to be 'pejorative')

Comment

Zampano's Floor

Infantile obsession?

Is that . . . ?

No, couldn't be.

That would be gruesome.

hey!

Comment

Zampano's Floor

maybe johnny made up the claw marks, too...perhaps (but probably not)they somehow represent the "claw" marks left on his neck when P tried to strangle him, didn't he mention marks on his neck?
                            ----
                            your sword is glowing with a faint blue glow

Comment

Zampano's Floor

The only thing I could think of was when Holloway had just killed himself, a claw appears on the Hi 8 and takes him away, then the image goes to black. I can't remember any other specific references to the claw in HoL, and I don't remember any other scratches anywhere. But wait, didn't Johnny have scratches on him after he fell from the ink closet in the Tattoo shop? I'm not sure, but I think he did. (???)
                              Hope that helps--it seems that the claw IS a theme, though.

quote:
                              Originally posted by wicketsnatcher:
                              I finished reading HoL this weekend, and went back and re-read a little bit of the begining information that I missed. Anyhow, I was left with one particular question.

Were the long scratches found in Zampano's floor after he died ever explained in the book, or at the very least were there any hints or infered information concerning this that I may have simply missed?

I'd appreciate anyone's help.

Comment

Working...
                              X