X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too much reading

um I have read several post from many people those who have read the book once and others many times. But I think if you read too much into the book and all your time trying to analyze it then you take all the fun out of it. I know that there are a lot of secrets to the book and everybody wants to know them. But i think if you read it more than twice you have killed the fun!

too much reading

laugh.. you know i agree with you.. but, it takes a lot of thought to grasp an understanding of even the most basic novel. i dont feel as if by analyzing the story im taking the fun out if it, i feel as if i am trying to go deeper into the story than i can get by just reading it once and moving on. i; however, walked away with a lot after only reading it once, but i dont think there's harm in skimming through and discussing ideas with others. i do agree that a lot of our mania should maybe lighten up. but who am i to talk? this dream theory is making me nuts! im dreaming HoL!

Comment

too much reading

bwa ha ha, i'm on my thirtieth reading and its all becoming so clear!!!

umm, that was a joke. i think a lot of people perusing the text for more meaning doesn't always automatically equate with people losing the face value meanings of the book. in fact, the more i''ve read it the more i've been unsure of all meanings found in it, even those that may seem to be obvious. i think the more you read of leaves, the more fun it becomes! c'mon, have you ever met anyone who read it just once and then stopped? its like crack! you gotta try it again and again and again!

let those who want to analyze analyze, and those who want the big picture take a step back and look at the big picture! we'll all balance each other out eventually, so its a good thing! =]

Comment

too much reading

But i think if you read it more than twice you have killed the fun!
        That's absurd. If reading a book twice wears it out, it wasn't a good book to begin with.

Does listening to a CD more than twice ruin it? What about watching a movie twice?

On most albums I enjoy listening to, the song(s) that I bought it for quickly becomes my least favorite(s), while ones I didn't like the first time grow on me, becoming the reason why I listen.

I believe the opposite, that the most fun is in art that encourages you to come back for more.

I think if you read too much into the book and all your time trying to analyze it then you take all the fun out of it.
        Why is a Raven like a writing desk?

The Mad Hatter asks this question to Alice, in a riddle contest. The answer was never given. Fans demanded an answer from Lewis Carrol. He told that there was no answer; he made up the question for the specific reason of having a riddle with no right answer.

Fans said "No, your wrong!" and proceded to come up a hundred different 'right' answers. Some of them a pretty dang good.

After twenty years, Lewis Carrol gave in. In the foreword of a new edition of Alice in Wonderland, he gave his own version of a 'right' answer. (That answer was promptly changed by a proofreader who thought it was a typo.)

What's the point? That it's true that people can (and always will) read 'too much' into any book, or play, or movie, or whatever. Sometimes even the author himself will. If you think that's wrong, you maybe right. If you think that it's gonna stop, you maybe nuts. [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Why is POE like a raven, and MZD like a writing desk?
        [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

too much reading

Yeah, it's a total misconception of our lazy, MTV watching, Burkerging eating, under achieving, waste-of-space generation that 'over-analysis' is futile and is secondary to the holy ideal of the pursuit of 'fun', whatever that is.

What is 'over-analysis'? I am not sure such a thing is possible. As for the argument that some people are obsessed to their general detriment by a particular book, film, piece of music or whatever, well.....at least they have an interest as opposed to passively consuming what passes for much of contemporary culture (shallow, trite and short-lived).

Comment

too much reading

ha, i never realized EVERY DAMN WORD in a book could be very significant and have multiple meanings, all clearly implied, alluded to, or symbolic, until someone dared me to through ulysses word by word and try to find one without meaning. damn, that was insane!

but c'mon, guys, don't beat up on the poor girl cuz she doesn't like what we're doing with the book. just let her do her thing, analyzers can do their thing, and we'll be one big happy family!

i've met some people that i have been very grateful never attempted to analyze anything put in front of them-- i think their heads might explode if they did.

and hey, delerium, i'm only 18, does that mean i'm part of under-achieving waste of space generation? dammit...

Comment

too much reading

heh, i take pride in telling it like it is.

i think that post proves my incredible analytical skills, if i may say so myself. =] that birds and bees stuff can be hard to figure out, y'know...

Comment

too much reading

I don't think we're beating up anyone.

All we're doing is over-analyzing the concept of over-analyzation. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

too much reading

gah! rubble stop thinking and go watch tv! jump to conclusions or something, you damn overanalyzer!

heh, that was a joke, you know that i love your codecracking, doublechecking, triplereading, newtheorycreating self.

Comment

too much reading

d'you have his name & number?? [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

too much reading

over thinking
                      over analyzing

seperates

the body
                      from
                      the mind

wandering a maze
                      constructed by
                      the blind

Comment

too much reading

Nah Girl2, you are excepted on the grounds of what is possibly my favourite ever post to this board - your 20th June post to the 'pg 646' topic.

"No man can resist prodding around a woman's vagina". Indeed.

Comment

too much reading

silly bugger

Comment

too much reading

Yeah, avoid the poetry and stick to the cryptic, nebulous posts. Cultivates that air of mystery more effectively.

Comment

Working...
                            X