Encoded Message?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encoded Message?

OK, I've been reading through the posts and on more than one occasion I have read mention of P encoding Zampano's message, or him in her message? Now, I've gone back and looked through my book, and I still don't have any idea. What is everyone talking about? [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Encoded Message?

As have I but I am seeking no interest to get indepth into decoding of Leaves.

Over intrepation only leads to headaches and who knows what else for problems. I'll just let everyone else do the work and share. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Encoded Message?

I can help you here. In one of her letters (I believe dated April 5 but I don't remember the year) there is one section where she takes the 1st letter of every word in one sentence and it spells "my dear Zampano, who did you lose". This has led some people to believe (including myself) that Pelafina and Zampano were more connected than Johnny was willing to tell us. Hope that helped.

--Dana

Comment

Encoded Message?

The message in question reads 'My Dear Zampano, who did you lose'?. The significance is clear - it demonstrates a connection between Pelafina and Zampano, and causes idiots like me to spend too much time trying to figure out the basis and nature of that connection.

It is also not the only message encoded in the Whalestoe letters - taking a tour through some of the older posts to this board will be of benefit - particularly to learn of some of the less obvious anagrams.

Comment

Encoded Message?

Oooops - Dana got there first with those superhuman reactions of his/hers. The date, incidentally is March 5th, 1986 - it's the paragraph towards the end of the letter which begins "So sad really.".

Comment

Encoded Message?

I'm a she. [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

-d-

Comment

Encoded Message?

What about the capital letters in the in the May 8th 1987 letter? While there is the obvious big message in this letter, their is a clear pattern somehow to the capital letters in this one. Anyone have any idea what this figures out to?

Comment

Encoded Message?

I actually don't have my book here, now. But if you take all of those letters out, the spell something. If you don't want to open the book and write down letters, there's always the search function on this site.

Comment

Encoded Message?

Are you the same James Cole that I went to school with and didn't like very much?

Comment

Encoded Message?

If you went to school with someone who uses a screen name based on a popular film character. Then yes, I am the same person.

Since I'm clearly a dick, you might also notice that I have a messiah complex if you take the initials of my screen name.

Lets see what other thing about me prove that I'm a complete asshole. Well I like to drown small animals in bulap sacks.

(note for those about to respond, I used irony in this message)

Comment

Encoded Message?

No Francis - that was me. How I yearned for a single glance from you, just one word, some form of recognition.

And now I learn you never even liked me. Truly life is cruel.

Comment

Encoded Message?

James, I've been meaning to ask if you're here about some monkeys...

Anyhoo, I think the thing with the capital letters that Recca refers to (too lazy to check for sure), is the line "A face in a cloud, no trace in the crowd."

From what I've heard, it's a line from some unreleased, or B-Side Poe song.

Comment

Encoded Message?

On the encoded message thing, the letter from Johnny's mother on page 620 of of Leaves. Take the first letter of each word, and it has an encoded message. It is rather long, but rather worth it.It goes from 620-the top of 623.

[ April 29, 2002: Message edited by: Brad ]

Comment

Encoded Message?

The date for "dear zamp&no, who did you lose?" is april 5th (1986) in my edition. think its on page 387.

Comment

Encoded Message?

Recca, the capital letters message from the letter to Johnny from his mother dated May 8, 1987 beginning on page 620 of the 2 color paperback edition is as follows:
                              "AFACEINACLOUDNOTRACEINTHECROWD" or "A face in a cloud no trace in the crowd."
                              That was found using only the capital letters occuring in the middle of a woRd. Notice that MAN from "Man And Nam" on the top of page 622 is not included.
                              Here I will also include a translation of the coded letter from the same date.

Dearest Johnny,
                              They have found a way to break me. Rape a fifty-six year old bag of bones. There is no worse and don't believe otherwise.
                              The attendants do it. Others do it. Not every day, not every week, maybe not even every month. But they do it. Someone I don't know always comes. When it's dark. Late. I've learned not to scream, screaming gave me hope and unanswered hope is shattered hope. Think of your Haitian. It is far saner to choose rape than shattered hope. So I submit and I drift.
                              I let caprice and a certain degree of free-association take me away. Sometimes I'm still away long after it's done, after he's gone - the stranger, the attendant, the custodian, the janitor, cleaning man, waiting man, dirty MAN - the night tidying up after him.
                              I'm in hell giving into heaven where I sometimes think of your beautiful father with his dreamy wings and only then do I allow myself to cry. Not because your mother was raped (again) but because she loved so much what she could never have been allowed to keep. Such a silly girl.
                              You must save me Johnny. In the name of your father. I must escape this place or I will die.

I don't understand the reference to the Haitian. If someone could cast a little light into that particular area I would be grateful.

Comment

Working...
                              X