X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Force behind House

Having recently completed HoL for the first time, I have been left asking many questions. One of the more important for me at the moment is the question of what force drives the Navidson’s . It seems to me that the must possess some sort of consciousness (or is controlled by some external consciousness) in order for it to behave the way that it does. This, however, gives rise to another question; namely as to what the “consciousness’” motivation for its behaviour is. I am inclined to believe that the “conscious” has a very strong sense of humour, and all events are the its idea of a joke. This is, for me, the most convincing idea that I have been able to come up with.

I was wondering what others think.

Force behind

My own impression was that the conciousness that drives it is the conciousness of those inside it. Which would help to explain the changing landscape- see the speculation on the stairway shift when Navidson goes down it the first time.

Comment

Force behind

I agree with Mattador. I thought that the s driving force was the psychological state of those inside it. I think they even talk about it in the book. I think it is an instinctual thing like how a dog can smell fear, so can the . The question for you is do you think the 's shape is a mere reflection of the psychological state or is it an interpretation, or reply, is it trying to say something.

Comment

Force behind

I agree. It's like in "TlŲn, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius" by J. L. Borges, right?

---***---
        Niklas Franzen

Comment

Force behind

re: force behind the :

1st post - apologize in advance if anything i have to say has been said before.

yes - there are many statements w/in the book that the geography and the spatial dimensions of the are based upon the psychological state of the 'visitor'. and yes - when navidson goes in w/the clear goal of rescuing the explorers (i.e. w/a clear goal in mind) - the stairway is short, etc (i am cheating here and . . . (ellipsis-ing) many thing), but . . .

no matter how much one wants to correspond the geography of the and it's "temperament" to the temperament and mental state of its 'visitor' - the does seem to have a will of its own. at the time of "evacuation/escape" - both tom and daisy should not (theoretically) be w/in the realm of "the ". they are not w/in the "ash black walls" of its hallways or rooms. they are w/in what had been previously been considered "safe areas" - the proper. the has extended itself and exerted its influence in previously neutral areas outside of its own control.

of course, this is all hypothetical as well. inside front cover (2nd edition - 2 color version) and also Appendix 1 last page -"perhaps I will alter the whole thing. Kill both children. . . . " this all being Zampano's creation. but we all know this.

Given this all - i still see the as malevolant, and much more so than "in relation to the psychological state of any 'visitor' to the ".

any thoughts on this, anyone? (self - re-reading book 3rd time in 2 years - still struggling and finding new things to think about).

nťant

Comment

Force behind

just wanted to mention that the kill the children thing is in Courier font, which leads me to believe the index card was written by the come-lately Truant

i made a pun...this causes me no displeasure.

Comment

Force behind

hey pulseless - yes, you are right - the "kill the children thing" is in courier font . . . but i don't really see Truant as "creating/changing" the story - simply collating and coordinating and organizing all that which he finds before him (as created/written/whatever) by Zampano. Is there a precedent already in the book that places Truant in that role of "creator"? i haven't found one - which doesn't mean it's not there. what do you think? anyone else's thoughts?

- - - nťant - - -

Comment

Force behind

We already know that Johnny has changed ZampanÚ's text to some degree. On page 16 Johnny admits that he added the word "water" to the Navidson Record on page 12.

Knowing that Johnny has changed something may lead one to believe that he may have altered more (if not written the whole damned thing) as well.

[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: ThomasJ ]

Comment

Force behind

you know what's weird? i'm inclined to believe in the personality attributed to the significant fonts, the reason being...well i dunno. it seems like a sturdy enough anchor. although maybe the reason the fonts are stylized is simply to express how easy it is for one person to change their voice, simply by re-stylizing the look of their own words. so johnny could very well be a creation of Zampano, as the son which he so wanted (see other threads on the matter) which would mean that his font is actually Zampano's own, spoken through the filter of a non-existant (or dead) son. but you know, the voice represented on the index card seems like something Johnny would say (if he existed). okay, now i'm confused, with no puns to speak of. further meditation on this matter required...so anyone here, WHO DO YOU THINK WROTE THAT FUCKING INDEX CARD?!?

Comment

Force behind

Actually, i think that the font isn't really courier; it looks more like it was written on a typewriter. And wasn't it the "editors'" idea to change the fonts for clarification? So... whatever. Not really much here about the force behind the . Sorry. Though I think Navidson was on to something with the drunken " is God" ranting. Like he said, not some catholic or mormon or whatever it was he said God. But it's as big and inexplainable as God, so it's God. Or not.

Comment

Force behind

As far as the goes, look to "Windows within Pages?" for my thoughts. (I don't think I want to retype it all - Sorry).
                      As far as the index card........
                      I am going to spend some time studying it and whatnot.....
                      I'll post later on the subject.
                      This is a really good observation.
                      Be back later.

Comment

Force behind

reply to #1008
                        actually, it wasn't the editor's decision to use those fonts,unless you consider Danielewski to be the original editor, because it was his idea, for a specific purpose, and he actually typed and did the original spreads entirely on his own, due to financial problems. lol. sorry that sentence is so long.... anyway, you can find out more about it if you just look up mark danielewski . [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Force behind

reply to #1008
                          actually, it wasn't the editor's decision to use those fonts,unless you consider Danielewski to be the original editor, because it was his idea, for a specific purpose, and he actually typed and did the original spreads entirely on his own, due to financial problems. lol. sorry that sentence is so long.... anyway, you can find out more about it if you just look up mark danielewski . [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Force behind

Hm...

Been thinking (maybe too much). We're all thinking about the being infinitely large, and people getting lost within, so on and so forth.

It just occured to me that the is also bringing people together. It seems to me that ZampanÚ, Pelafina, Johnny, and even Navidson are all "worlds apart," yet each comes together in their own way because of this . Is it strengthening their bonds, or tearing at them more?

Navidson and Karen seem closer at the end after their ordeals through the hallways. Does the offer hope, as well as distance?

Comment

Force behind

The seems to give each person what they need most: Karen is able to overcome personal fears and feelings of inadequies, freeing her to finally embrace a relationship with Navidson (and give up that phoney smile); Navidson is forced to face death and doubt, face to face, no escape, no filming of other people, it was just him and the , allowing him to finally embrace his own family and be able to stay in one place; Tom was given the chance to be a hero, to rise above the ease of his life, and prove himself to be his brother's equal in both heroics and loyalty; Johnny got off drugs, got on nightmares, but also begins coming to terms with his own past, especially his mother; Zampano was given a 'son' in Johnny, that is, someone who continued to care, even after death, about his life and the thing he had devoted his life to (HoL). Holloway, on the other hand, had needs the was unable to meet, the need for fame and success, material gain. The can only help change a person, not grant them wishes.
                              -Or maybe I'm just trying too hard here.

Comment

Working...
                              X