Poetics of Space

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poetics of Space

I was talking to someone about the book and my thoughts about the way space is perceived throughout the and they mentioned to me that I should read The Poetics of Space. (This conversation was held before I finished the book) I later realized that the book he had recommended to me was sited in HoL. I found this very interesting and started to read the book. There are a lot of interesting correlations between the two. Has any one else read Poetics of Space? And if so do you think that the underlined meaning in HoL are taken from the descriptions in Poetics of Space?

I ask these questions out of sheer curiosity and hope that I don't receive the same kind of badgering that I have witnessed on other posts, as I am a fairly new member. Thanks for your input.

Poetics of Space

it's always great to get imput from many sources. THanks for pointing this out. I picked it up from the university library today and am about to read it!
    Sorry you fear being called stupid. I'm reletively new to this board as well, but my experiences here have been great. I hope yours are too. I have learned a great deal from the intelligent people on the board, and there only seem to be a few who are out to draw blood. Just ignore them. Most everyone here is great! Happy posting.

Comment

I am so, so late to this thread. In fact, ten years late! Its funny to think though, ten years ago I would have been 7 years old and not even thinking of any of this sort of thing, but here I am now.
      I have read of Leaves - and I picked up The Poetics of Space FROM of Leaves. Since, I have been applying for an architecture degree, and the Poetics of Space is the one book I spoke most about in my personal statement and whatnot, and what I spoke most about in the university interview - so I know the book back to front.
      I definitely believe of Leaves was based on the book The Poetics of Space, but in a good way - the philosophical aspect of the in HoL is definitely inspired from Bachelard's views - Bachelard repeatedly states that a is a universe within itself and continuously creates its own intimate spaces, but also speaks of the negative emotions associated with a . If a trauma is experienced, then all positive memories are smashed. I feel this parallels with the . The in HoL that is a direct reflection on of the psychological status of the inhabitants inside. Bachelard states that architecture should be built around the experience contained within - which is exactly what the in HoL does.
      Can`t phrase it any better than this, so I hope you understand me. And I hope somehow you read this and go "Oh wow, someone picked up after ten years" that you might otherwise had forgotten this entirely.

Comment

Mairi––

So you know, there are also other threads about Bachelard's Poetics of Space within this forum. I recommend that you take a look in the "useful threads" section of the HoL forum, under "Theory", and try to join the conversation there.

Comment

Working...
        X