Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question (spoiler!!)

Hello all,

One of the things that has always stayed with me from the book is the the window in the Navidson exploration. It's been about a year since I read the book and I still can't get my head around it. Any thoughts, views, theories, or explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Question (spoiler!!)

what window are we talking about?... and what about Zampano's windows?... there haven't been many posts about similarities between Z's and THE .

-zar

Comment

Question (spoiler!!)

I think Killjoy is referring to Exploration #5, in which Navidson finds a window in a wall (459-464). I've wondered about that myself, but I'm too tired to think about it right now (I know, I used that excuse last night, too. I'm a college student, sue me).

Kimba

Comment

Question (spoiler!!)

Hello all,

I am referring to the window in exploration #5 (thanks Kimba). I thought that the appearance of the window in the was a big deal, almost as if the rules of the had changed, I'm just not sure what it means.

On a side note I recently saw Mulholland Drive so I decided to employ Lynch logic with my own brand of Mickey Mouse logic to draw a correlation between the and the life of Zampano. Now let's say, just go along with me here, you were blind; would the be as frightening? Could Zampano have written this to demonstrate what blindness would be like? It's just a thought I had to get out.

Comment

Question (spoiler!!)

Interesting that Z uses the BAT to discuss the , as he is blind. I wonder how a bat would fare in the ...
          Remember the braile passage... the walls are smooth and cannot be told one from another. Wouldn't the minotaur be just as lost as the explorers?...

-Zar

Comment

Question (spoiler!!)

Killjoy is definitely onto something here. It makes sense that Zampano would write a book like this to explain what being blind is like. You can't tell the difference between things (like which wall is which), you can't see anylight(the labriynth is DARK) and it's sort of a constant terror. If we keep working in this, we may find the answer to this riddle of a book.

Comment

Question (spoiler!!)

does the minotaur really know how to find his/her way around seeing as how it only needs to find that which does not belong is a better question. Whether it moves or you move, there will be the moment of confrontation...

Comment

Question (spoiler!!)

quote:
                Wouldn't the minotaur be just as lost as the explorers?...

Remember that King Minos built the labyrinth to keep the minotaur in, as well as to keep the people out.

On a related note, do you think the minotaur (as a creature) actually exists? Or do you think the sounds are merely the shifting of the ? Supposedly Holloway gets taken by a shadow, but that's the only "proof" of the minotaur. Even then, the proof is relatively unsubstantiated. As for the mauling of the signs-- I attribute that to the shifts in the . Any thoughts?

~eel

Comment

Question (spoiler!!)

personally i believe that the mauling of the signs and when Holloway gets taken away is caused by the darkness itself. im reminded of The Neverending Story and the great nothing (i think thats what it was called but anyway) the darkness devoures everything not so fluidly as in The Neverending Story but still.... well thats my thought what about everyone else

Comment

Question (spoiler!!)

Hello all,

What I've found to be odd so far is the sometimes arbitrary nature of the . For a long time I thought the was something like a Rorscharch test (you get what you give). The only two questionable things inside the great hallway(aka behind the door) that I can think of is the window episode and the door slamming episode.

Apolgies for the lack of thought in this post I am currently pacing around my bedroom cursing anything and everythning while trying to find meaning on the Sept. 19 1988 letters. Dictionary.com has proven to be a tool in this but not to the point of clarity.

Now why would you go into a a blind man built?
                    Killjoy

Comment

Question (spoiler!!)

holloway and the doors slamming... they all were open when he was discovered, right?.. except for the one that they found him through.... then they all rapidly slammed shut one after another... was holloway seeing all of his rooms and passageways at once?.. if they hadnt stumbled upon him, would his ending have been different?.. all his doors seems to close except the path of least resistance that he chose...

also speaking of the minotaur in the maze and the bat and the blind man... does truant's dream of being a minotaur in a maze relate? when he found himself lost... found some frat boy with an ax(tree?) and then out of fear and realization that he was stronger... devoured the man(twin) and became the minotaur incorporating the man inside instead of the other way around...

...yeah [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X