This list is meant to ease up your Search function woes.
I've skipped a few threads because they (I feel) do not contribute to information regarding the book.
The most unpleasant part of the project was this: dead links. This forum used UltimateBB as its engine earlier, and then switched over to PHPBB. Switching, however, did not convert all the links provided in the threads. Though it is possible through extensive deduction to find out which thread was linked where, I chose not to do it--you can conveniently call me lazy.
This happened a second time, when the forum moved to vBulletin. This has rendered a lot of links in the listed threads useless. Indeed, so were most of the thread links right in this very thread till Ellimist updated the links and (after long bouts of playing with Crysis, Windows 7, and Internet Explorer) sent me the updated links. I will slowly check whether his updated links are correct, and I'd like you to to do so too.
I have tried cross-checking the references made in any thread with the book, but I cannot guarantee that my cross-checking is foolproof.
The categories provided here are shoddy, at best. Almost no thread sticks to a specific topic. Sometimes threads switch topics altogether. I have tried to grasp the main topics discussed in any thread and specify them, but they are by no means absolute. In fact, in most cases I have oversimplified a thread's discussion.
This thread only lists threads in the main Of Leaves forum. I would have liked compiling a similar list for the Whalestoe Letters, because I think the two are really one, not to mention the threads in Haunted as well, but since I haven't yet read the Whalestoe Letters or heard the album, I am not in any way qualified to even read the threads, let alone sort them out.
And one last thing: I know next to nothing of literature, modernism, postmodernism, myth, mythology, philosophy--except the terms themselves. There are several threads where the discussion went quite over my head, so there is more than a slight chance that I might have missed the central gist of a thread while describing it. If you can imagine how it would be if Lude guided you through the book instead of Johnny, then that's how this guide is.
I hope you find it useful.
1. First check out A list of useful threads for those new to this site. It should answer most of the basic queries.
2. I've categorized the threads in a way I feel will make them easily accessible. If you are searching for a specific thread in this list, use your browser's Find function.
3. Also, do not forget the trusty Search Function. It's much improved in vBulletin than it was in PHPBB when this guide was made.
4. This compilation is by no means complete. Suggestions and corrections are necessary to make it as useful as possible. If I've goofed up somewhere, let me know. If you feel a description doesn't do a thread justice, suggest what else I could add. If you feel a thread just doesn't fit in a category, tell me.
5. If you are a new member, now you have absolutely no excuse to start another thread which goes, "Why is in Blue?" So don't do that, okay? Thank you.
(The category links will make the thread load up again in a new window.)
Front Cover/Front Collage/Back Cover
Theories on the Book, the Author and Textual Layout
Religion, Mythology and Astrology
The Navidson Record and the
Photography and Firearms
The Pelican Poems
The Whalestoe Letters and Pelafina
Books and Literature
Movies and TV
Printing and Editions
Forum Member Stuff