Red Text

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Text

Random parallel with other litterature, havent had a chance to look it up any further than a surface thought cause my girlfriend has my copy of .

Anyone notice that Minotaur passages are in red (or are supposed to be) and in many bibles the sayings of jesus are in red?

dunno, it's late and it's kinda out of left field.

(sorry if this was already posted, yes i used the search function)

Re: Red Text

Originally posted by thatdandydinty
    Random parallel with other litterature, havent had a chance to look it up any further than a surface thought cause my girlfriend has my copy of .

Anyone notice that Minotaur passages are in red (or are supposed to be) and in many bibles the sayings of jesus are in red?

dunno, it's late and it's kinda out of left field.

It is always the things that are way out of left field that make the most sense. But I actually think it does make some sense.

Comment

Bull-fucking-shit you used the search function.

The and the Word

Want to know what I searched for?

"jesus red" [without quotes] and always select 'search for all terms'

4th hit down the page (total: 4). What the hell did you search for?

More importantly, in my opinion, three of the more interestingly formatted blocks of text red and struck through are a key, a keyhole, and a sword. And yes, it is red in the red edition. It is supposed to just be struck through in the blue edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellimist
        More importantly, in my opinion, three of the more interestingly formatted blocks of text red and struck through are a key, a keyhole, and a sword. And yes, it is red in the red edition. It is supposed to just be struck through in the blue edition.
        So what you're saying is that in the red edition the locks are bleeding? Does that mean that the Minotaur is actually the panther and we've just mistaken his gait?

Comment

Originally posted by fearful_syzygy
          So what you're saying is that in the red edition the locks are bleeding?
          Nah, maybe, I don't know. It is just that when I read the blue edition, I didn't notice the pattern of the text layout for the three images. I am reading the red edition now and I got them - they stood out better. The eye can blur them into the shapes better than black text. Although that keyhole(p. 144) one threw me for a bit.

Does that mean that the Minotaur is actually the panther and we've just mistaken his gait?
          No idea... except I noticed that the 'claws' in the wouldn't be on a minotaur. it would be either hooves or hands or horns making marks...

Comment

A keyhole. Awesome. I couldn't figure that out.

But the sword: wouldn't that actually be a broken sword? If so: what does that mean, exactly?

I could probably add something more meaningful to this post by picking up the book and reading through it.

Okay, so I did. There are the two breaks in the sword. One comes when it seems we're about to be told about something actually being slain
            'And if there once was a time when a [——— ] slai [ (three lines of missing text) ] that time has long since passed. '
            And then just as the sword draws to a tip: 'The creature does not know you, does not fear you, does not remember you, does not even see you. Be careful, beware[ '

The best I can figure is that the line might have been 'a time when a [creatures was] slai[n], that time has long since passed.' But there's a hell of a lot of space there. And if that word really should have been 'slain' then, looking at the way the brackets are usually placed, it would have been: slai[ , y'know without the space there.

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalIdea
              A keyhole. Awesome. I couldn't figure that out.
              Really? That's always been the most obvious one for me. I only noticed the key after I joined and saw it mentioned on here, and I still haven't noticed the sword.

Comment

No, it just looked like a squiggle in the middle of the text. I've seen that happen sometimes when 'justify' doesn't work quite right, usually because the space is too narrow. When I first saw Ellimist mention a keyhole, I was also looking for something like an old-style keyhole. Circle on top of a rectangle type of thing.

I should have recognized it, though. When I was working in Yosemite, I pointed out to people how some of the keys just didn't fit into other keys' holes; reason being the shape of the key being minutely different.

Yet another thing to kick myself for not having noticed, really.

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalIdea
                  No, it just looked like a squiggle in the middle of the text. I've seen that happen sometimes when 'justify' doesn't work quite right, usually because the space is too narrow. When I first saw Ellimist mention a keyhole, I was also looking for something like an old-style keyhole. Circle on top of a rectangle type of thing.
                  I used to think that squiggle was a bolt of lightning, but f_s mentioned a keyhole once and it just... kind of fits. Like the right key would.

Comment

I still haven't noticed the sword.
                    I consider page 336 to be a sword... do you think something different?

Comment

So what you're saying is that in the red edition the locks are bleeding?
                      Nah, maybe, I don't know. It is just that when I read the blue edition, I didn't notice the pattern of the text layout for the three images. I am reading the red edition now and I got them - they stood out better.
                      Yeah, i agree. i like the idea of the locks bleeding. and the emphasis really does seem to change when you are reading the red edition.

on an aside, i found my red edition online. i searched different online shops almost everyday for literally a month and a half (there was no way i was going to spend a fortune), before finding a used copy that was a bit beat up and missing its dust jacket. i paid $30 (shipping included) and when i got it, it had a bent corner, but it did have its dust jacket (a bit worn, but still), and was signed with a Z.

a couple strange things. . .before i ordered it, i emailed the store and they said it did not have a dust jacket and that it was not signed. The signed by the author sticker was on the supposedly absent dustjacket and the isbn number reflected that it was a fisrt red edition. they obviously didn't know what they had - even beat up.

next weird thing was that before finding this, i had expressed to my wife that i really wanted a red edition, but would want to write in it, so it wouldn't be worth it to pay $100-250 for it
                      So the book i got was already damaged, which means i can write in it without really caring about decreasing it's value. Strange how the "right" book found me, eh?

-getting (sort of) around to a (almost) point

the book also has a small read dot on the bottom edge, which i take to be a remainer mark (as i have seen many other signed/1st ed. online advertising a remainer mark).

however, the conspiracy theorist in me finds it odd that the mark is red. Does anyone know if red remainder marks are normal?
                      either way, it kind of looks like a drop of blood. . . although whose blood, i don't know.

the conspiracy theorist in me also finds it odd that, so many signed/1st ed. have remainder marks, since :
                      a. there were so few of them
                      b. by the time the first red was released, the book was a bestseller
                      c. those selling books with remainder marks don't seem to think they are (generally) worth any less than those without.

my conspiracy theory (although, come on, really?) is that MZD/the publisher/chaos theorists made small alterations such as remainder marks, worn dust juckets, bent corners, etc., along with the small (but significant) differences we all have seen between editions(see the different editions threads, where i might have also written this). This mirrors the , mirrors the book, mirrors existence in that (obviously) no two people can have the same experience within HoL.
                      The distribution of signed and/or red editions has the appearance of being completely random - Some people who ordered the red ed. got blue and vice versa, some places had copies in abundance, some had none, and others had them in bargin books. Add to that remainder marks and damaged books and the possiblities of which edition you might find seem infinite, no?

am i paranoid or what?

Comment

This thing about the struck passages has been puzzling me since I read the book. The notes about the sword, which in my mind is now clearly a sword and not a lion as someone noted elsewhere, I think, are really poinitng in the right direction. Does anyone know of some myth or something that relates to a key, a keyhole and a sword?

Sidenote: I've been missing form the forum for months, I would really apreciate if someone could point me to any major discoveries made during my absence. Thanx.

Comment

Your timing is impeccable- there was something of a lull for a month or two, during which dark age many scholars retreated into their caves, and some people talked about tits, dorks and other rubbish. But now a renaissance is in progress- thanks in no small part to sutrix's mammoth Guide to the Forum and opening installment of the ahisatree posse's Commentary on the Book. Fearful_Syzygy's Myth thread is also well worth a look; I don't think there's been anything too earth-shattering but Ellimist noticed that Pelafina never writes the word , which might interest you. If you haven't seen it before, fatwoul's Moon phases/madness thread is also quite interesting.

Welcome back! It's a very exciting time for all of us; I'm sure someone can fill you in on anything major I've forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by elmago
                            Does anyone know of some myth or something that relates to a key, a keyhole and a sword?
                            "Are you the gatekeeper?"
                            "Are you the keymaster?"
                            ...proton packs... sword... I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by elmago
                              Does anyone know of some myth or something that relates to a key, a keyhole and a sword?
                              ...proton packs... sword... I don't know.
                              Odin hung himself from the tree Yggdrasil, whilst pierced by his own spear (sword), to acquire knowledge.

Sword ? Are you talking about the blood syringe (or needle) ?

Comment

Working...
                              X