X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

April 29 2004 San Diego signing

Wow! Someone who has just started working with me saw HoL and said ' of leave? I never finished that..' I was speachless/breathless! I couldn't believe she knew of it! Then it registered that she said she hadn't finished it... then she buggered off to lunch. Shall find out more soon.

Oh, she said one of her friends finished it.

He's in prison now.

Comment

I'm hoping to go as an early birthday present. I'll send a postcard if I do.

Should I get my hardcover edition or my red softcover edition signed? Or BOTH?

Comment

I've got a torn up copy of HOl I've got a copy of Whaletsone letter and i just bought a brand new softcover. I'm gonna be offensive and try and get him to sign all three but well see he might scare me with his eyes and ill chicken out.

MAnikaTT

Comment

Oh yes, I almost forgot about my copy of the Whalestoe Letters. We'll make sure his wrist gets a workout. (From signing books, perv.) And then there's my tattered copy which I don't want him to sign because I understand that sometimes he peeks at the notes his readers scrawl in the margins and I'm afraid that if he does, my notes won't come off as very perceptive or intelligent. In fact I know they won't because rereading some of the crap I put in there, i have to hang my head in shame. I just wrote in it because everyone else does it and it seemed like the cool thing to do.

I wonder why everyone always puts an "n" in "Whalestoe." Does the word just make more sense as "whale-stone?"

That reminds me. Since the signing is in San Diego, maybe I can get MZD to sign a book about the history of San Diego in which the author refers to whales as "great bipeds." cuz if they actually were bipeds, they'd have toes...

Comment

I wish I could go to this, by the way.

Comment

I hope that everyone who can get to this has a really great time tomorrow.

Do you have any specific questions you are hoping to ask if you get the chance?

Good luck with getting all of your books signed.

Merouda

Comment

I am sooooooooooo looking forward to this - enough to fly in from Las Vegas. The biggest problem is that when you have a "mysterious" figure, or someone you respect, you meet them and see that they're a living breathing person. Some of the mystery goes away.

Comment

Man I am seriously so excited right now I don't think i'll be able to crash. I've made lots of money this week so I could get away with ditching work but hell I don't want to I'm too wrapped up, but how am I gonna wake up if I can't sleep.

Who is going to be there, I know GSR will but who else? Anyone?

I used to like sleep you fucker! This is a fucking disease and I want the fucking antidote! I didn't see spotless mind but the previews intrigued me enough to think maybe I should wipe HOL. Fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck
                  you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck
                  you fuck you fuci youf uck you fuck
                  youf cul

mann that's like counting sheep lateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                  eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                  eeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgg
                  gggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhmmmm
                  mmmmm
                  mm,,,,,,,,,....................................... .... .................................................. .................

Oh I better crash

[ April 29, 2004: Message edited by: ManiKAtt ]

Comment

man, i live maybe 20 minutes from the campus(in escondido), but i dont know my way around the campus at all. anyone know where i can get directions? the site doesnt have them.

I MUST GO TO THIS

Comment

Wasn't too hard for us to find. There are maps of the campus available from the Campus Information desk and other areas. Walk past the Open Air Amphitheater, turn right when you see a couple of sculptures on the left. Turn left when you reach the student center. Straight ahead to the building with a green banner that says Aztec Shops SDSU Campus Bookstore.

Hope you can make it...

-jt

Comment

That is "That"...

MZD's answer about the next book. "The working title is 'That' so that people can say 'That is better than of Leaves' or ' of Leaves is better than That' or 'I really didn't like That'.

He mentioned he's finished three drafts so far and it should be 'finished' sometime next year.

More later, dinner time.

-jt

Comment

That sounds neat!

Comment

That settles That then.

I can't wait to read it...

Comment

I knew it! The slow as hell bus did not get me home in time to be the first to post but I have a lot more to talk about than That.

Man it was just awesome. NOt the kind of awesome where the sea crashes and the sky booms as the earth is clapping but the kinda awesome where you just get things put back into a place you thought youd forgotten.

First of all I was kinda worried, there was some posst a few days back about being let down when you see someone you admire in person. Not so. Seeing the flesh and action of MZD really made it for me. Mostly because I realized on an even deeper level something I knew. This book is not just some mathmatical symmetry, it comes from real experience. I saw his tear when he read about the baby and I saw him laughing at the world around which tell me a lot about how much art really means and reminds me why it is the passion I drive after.

He spoke about writing and the need to labour for your imagination else it will give you the Bird, not a bird of paradise either mind you. Just reminds me all the more to trust in my own imagination and stop worring about what anyone else might think, Imagination is what matters.

He spoke about a number of things. First off he was in Larry Mccaffery's class before the reading and Larry had one of his groupd give MZD a presentation. They did a "Inside the Actors Studio" sort of critifiction where Robert Coover, Raymond Federman, Nabokav, and I forget one other writer were talking about the meaning of Karen's "A Brief History of How I love" it was really an amazing presentation (which i think is the best compliment one can give in the context of HOL) and they played a slideshow of photographs which was the same.
                              The MZD answered wuestions and there were some very cool questions. He ws great at avoiding the wrong kinda questions.

Next up he did a reading in the Bookstore which I couldn't hear very well becausea cooler full of red bull and no vodka turned on when it heard MZD's reading voice. He did read from the wuotations in the appedices and the story of the atrocity as well as the end of XXI where the baby dies. He got very emotional I could see but not hear. I did catch the rhythm of his voice and read those parts differently on the bus ride home with that cadence in my mind especially the quick jerking of thrice repeated words which really adds a new texture.

He answered questions too after reading and talked a bit about how our minds create fictions to fill the voids of what our sense miss in perception. I don't want to paraphrase and say something he didn't but i did write down the quote which is awesome. "If we are unable to create fictions to fill those gaps we become insane." This is really something to think about when reading HOL. I also notcied something about 5 daughters in the atrocity story, didn't Z have 7 loves?
                              I met GSR, good guy and we talked breifly, cool stuff.

After the words he signed books for about 2 hours! Two fucking hours, can you believe that shit? I waitid till just about last cause I didn't want to stand up anymore. Yeah I'm lazy but hey who cares, I don't.
                              So i get up there and he's probably bulshitting me but he said he actually recognized my hadle which was like a big strawberry on top of a cheesecake of a night. He had no problem signing my ripped up book he even thought all the tape and my little doorway was cool, chocolate on that strawberry too! I got a different signature on each page awesome to be able to see the PHL, the JT and the Z anytime I fucking want to. And in real life. So it was awesome. I thought about going to Larry's Bar hours but I gotta work so oh well.

Hey whoever was recording the reading, i didn't get a chance to introduce myself but I'd love a wav. or an mp3 if it's no too much trouble.

I could write more but my right hand is getting tired of typing.

Smith MD

Comment

Manikatt did a good job going through everything - I'll most my thoughts as well later. In the meantime, here are a few pics..

http://www.gsrdesigns.com/mzd/1.JPG

http://www.gsrdesigns.com/mzd/2.JPG

http://www.gsrdesigns.com/mzd/4.JPG

Comment

Working...
                                X