X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New David Mitchell (temp)

I know a lot of you liked Ghostwritten so I thought I'd let you know that his latest, Cloud Atlas, is out in the UK. I haven't read it yet--it being out only in the UK--but if any of you over there want to pick it up and give us the heads up, that'd be just grand. From what I've read, it sounds interesting. A Russian doll type structure that spans a few centuries... even if it sucks, you've got to give him credit for ambition.

And on an unrelated note, I've just finished Gibson's Pattern Recognition and am planning my attack on McSweeney's #12. Schools a bitch but so is life. I'll make time for it.

New David Mitchell (temp)

quote:
    Originally posted by 1exist:
    I know a lot of you liked Ghostwritten so I thought I'd let you know that his latest, Cloud Atlas, is out in the UK. I haven't read it yet--it being out only in the UK--but if any of you over there want to pick it up and give us the heads up, that'd be just grand. From what I've read, it sounds interesting. A Russian doll type structure that spans a few centuries... even if it sucks, you've got to give him credit for ambition.

And on an unrelated note, I've just finished Gibson's Pattern Recognition and am planning my attack on McSweeney's #12. Schools a bitch but so is life. I'll make time for it.

what'd you think of pattern recognition? i loved it, but for different reasons than his other books. PR was less sci-fi, it seems.

an another unrealted note: i want one of those mechanical calculators they talk about in PR. i read an article about them in some magazine. they fascinate me.

Comment

Have either of you heard of Finnegans Wake?

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by John B.:
        Have either of you heard of Finnegans Wake?

I heard it used lots of big words and decided I'd better wait till I'm smarter to tackle it.

Comment

Like this one, you mean?

Comment

anybody read this yet? looks brilliant but...
            i hear it ends with the novels first line and can be read in a continual loop
            just like White Diaspora

ahhhh, he's ripping me off! well. except he's never heard of me. hmm. maybe were just both ripping off john barth

although i did post the www.whatiswhitediaspora.co.uk address on a mitchell discussion group site about a year ago.

hmmm.

anybody know where he lives so i can go round and have a word?

Comment

Working...
            X