Nile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nile

oooook...to those familiar with my idiotic topics (the both of them) my main mistake has been that i didn't do the searches, and in my brash efforts as a dumb youth, i blatantly shouted my thoughts and finds (which wern't really hat interesting to boot)about of leaves. Now i've done the searches and can't find this anywhere. What is the significance of the nile in the novel? I was reading the book, and found footnotes that the fsrt letters of which spelled out Nile. They were footnotes 47-50 (i think). a few pages before that, navidson is pouring coffee, it bulges at the top and spills forth like a "nile of caffeine".
    also the footnotes, if you take bits and pieces make a sentence:
    47:Note
    48:Ivan largo Stitlet's
    49:literary marvel
    50:Exactly!
    Note Ivan Largo Stitlet's literary marvel Exactly!
    Does that mean anything or is it a coincidence?
    I just thought of something and don't want to do the search (so lazy) so if it can be answered in the search just PLEASE link it and DON'T yell at me...i'm sensitive.
    Karen has really bad claustrophobia...and the hallways are big everytime you enter a new one, but once familiar with it it becames shorter. For example, right after talking about Karen's claustrophobia they mention the the hallway goes from 60 feet to 10 feet (around pg 50 i think). Now Karen is always around when they go in hallways, so could her fear be changing the hallways? Since she knows about it the next day, and doesn't fear it as much (showed in that "perfect smile") it is smaller. Also does that relate to the power of woman who take the back seat and observe what the men do and don't take part (Frankenstein...Paradise Lost etc...) and so either she influences the or the uses her claustrophobia. Ok my fingers hurt from typing so i'm gonna check back for some enlightenment to my confusion. (is it normal to get so obsessed with this book that you think about it alot and then start taking notes on it? Cause i do now...)

[ February 28, 2004: Message edited by: keysersoze ]

Nile

Did you know that the ancient Egyptians wrote up contracts with the Nile? They guaranteed a certain sacrifice, and in return the Nile would have to grow lots of crops and not flood their villages.

Just thought it was interesting.

Also: DE-nile?

Comment

Nile

so who gets sacrificed this week...i did it last week...i will take nominations...prappa anyone?

Comment

Nile

quote:
        Originally posted by Statix:
        so who gets sacrificed this week...i did it last week...i will take nominations...prappa anyone?

sounds good. is tuesday okay for everybody?

Comment

Nile

quote:
          Originally posted by keysersoze:

Note Ivan Largo Stitlet's literary marvel Exactly!
          Does that mean anything or is it a coincidence?

There's nothing to "note": the book attributed to Stitlets--indeed, Stitlets himself--doesn't exist. But: in note 48, we're also referred to Metamorphoses, which definitely DOES exist. Another such moment occurs in note 49, in which Zampano cribs from Borges' story, "Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote"--again, Menard is an invention of Borges, who doesn't get mentioned here.

Maybe, just maybe: which Nile is it--the White or the Blue--that has its source in the Sudan? And Navidson's photo of Delial was taken in the Sudan (p. 6).

Edit: It's the BLUE Nile (though its source is in Ethiopia); it intersects the White Nile at Khartoum.

[ February 28, 2004: Message edited by: John B. ]

Comment

Nile

i dont see where your going with BLUE nile..i mean unless theres a red nile too...

and malakite...tuesdays fine...just have to wait until about five or so...dont wanna get bloody before i see my girl...you know how it is...

Comment

Nile

quote:
              Originally posted by Statix:
              i dont see where your going with BLUE nile..i mean unless theres a red nile too...

Sorry, Statix--I develop the connection more here.

Comment

Nile

uhhhhhhhhhh...sacrifice? private joke? private slaying? private ritualistic murder fest?

Comment

Nile

are you vounteering?...jk...anyway the sacrifice idea came to spill the blood of a useless noob to revive to forum...i mean is that so wrong?

Comment

Nile

quote:
                    uhhhhhhhhhh...sacrifice? private joke? private slaying? private ritualistic murder fest?

Sacrifice, like Odin on the Tree and such. How exactly did Old Man Z. go blind?

Comment

Nile

i think we all know the answer to that one...

Comment

Nile

quote:
                        What is the significance of the nile in the novel?

The Nile is the world's longest North1-flowing river.

1 ...DNE

Comment

Nile

im still looking for my sacrifice...

Comment

Also, cf. p. 505:
                            • ...the pan bouncing harmlessly on the floor but the oil covering my forearms and transforming them forever into Oceanus whirls. Ah yes, you true sister of Circe! What scars! Could I but coat you with Nilemud! Please bless these arms!
                            Edit: all right now I'm confused... http://www.nilemud.com/

But seriously, the following is from Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man:
                            Originally posted by James Joyce
                            MARCH 30. This evening Cranly was in the porch of the library, proposing a problem to Dixon and her brother. A mother let her child fall into the Nile. Still harping on the mother. A crocodile seized the child. Mother asked it back. Crocodile said all right if she told him what he was going to do with the child, eat it or not eat it.

This mentality, Lepidus would say, is indeed bred out of your mud by the operation of your sun.

And mine? Is it not too? Then into Nile mud with it!

APRIL 1. Disapprove of this last phrase.
                            The mud of the Nile is said to have healing powers. And the first man was moulded out of the stuff in Egyptian mythology.

Circe, on the other hand, apart from being the daughter of the Sun, is also PasiphaŽ's sister. So in other words Pelafina is being explicitly identified as the mother of the Minotaur in this passage.
                            (As Nash has already pointed out here).

The sisters Circe and PasiphaŽ were Oceanus' grandchildren, incidentally, but then so is most everybody in Greek mythology, so perhaps that's not saying much.

Edit, later (22/05/05): now I'm really confused. I'm certain the nilemud website I linked to above was a MacDonald's site at the time, but now it appears to have changed. Admittedly the site which now appears makes more sense given its url, but still.
                            Plus the Bible quotation at the bottom is reminiscent of HoL, wouldn't you say?

Comment

Working...
                            X