Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long time listener, First time caller

hello to all.

I just finished HoL a few days ago and am amazed at how the book affected me...no, I am not turning into a junkie, I have not diagnosed myself with some bizzare psychological disorder, nor is the beast of empty space stalking me and NO I in no way want to become Johnny...

...I started the book only because someone shared the premise of how space was contained (or not) within the on Ash Tree Lane...and then the interest in a puzzle on pages interested me as well. From the first page I couldn't put it down. I'll confess to some fits of paranoia, more than likely my own problems with claustraphobia too much coffee and reading at 430 in the morning...and my dreams were enhanced as well. Ive seen some posts and backlash at people who speak about their dreams in relation to the book. I was never lost within "the " but found when walking in my dreams I encountered many more hallways than usual, and in most cases a pleasant surprise to say the least. The book offered more texture to my subconscious, always something to be grateful for.

After finishing the book, I found myself exted and picked up Nicole Blackman's "Blood Sugar" to cool off a bit...not much releif there either so I thought maybe a post would help. Any suggested reading for life after the ?

A-S-K

Long time listener, First time caller

I read Palahniuk's Choke right after and I just couldn't get into it. I think it would have been the case with any book I might have picked up, so it has me thinking I should give Choke a second chance.

Comment

OH FOR THE LOVE OF SUNNY JESUS...

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by fatwoul:
        This week, I'm reading Bukowski's posthumous 'Sifting Through the Madness for the Word, the Line, the Way', which has some good poems, but overall isn't his best work.

Well I don't know how much Jesus has to do with reading habits in America, but thanks for the tip. I have never read Bukowski directly(any owned copy), although I saw my room mate in college devouring any beat-junkie-drunk-poet who came along...Bukowski among them. From what was shared, an interesting ride to say the least. Perhaps I should pick him up...just never found the time then memory lapse and other books fill that space on your 'need to read' list. If you get the chance, pick up Nicole Blackman's 'Blood Sugar'...or the album 'Dead Inside' by the Golden Palomino's.

Comment

Did you click on the link?

Did you, shithead?

Comment

you know...i read, i reacted, i replied, then deleted when i thought better of myself. Is there some sort of initiation rite on this board? some way you are required to 'prove' you were worthy of the book? do you inflict insults on all new users who enter this site...or is it just you fatwoul? Yes, i looked at your link but as you just linked the the board and no h-ref to any sort of response of your own literary suggestions, i responded in haste. excuse my fowl please, it would pain me greatly to think that i showed my obvious ignorance to the workings of the inner circle on hol.com. lighten up, please.

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by Art-Should-Kill:
              ...lighten up, please.

People have been coming in here, posting threads that already exist - IN THIS CASE ON THE FIRST DAMN PAGE - for years, and when I or others have objected, those same people have asked us to lighten up.

I will lighten up just as soon as you tell me why you are special. I will lighten up just as soon as you explain why it is that you are allowed to post repetitive, lazy threads where those before you have not.

Comment

Actually, I saw introductions added all the time. I saw new posts from new people and what was bothering me about it were the people trying to let on that the book had changed their physical/spiritual/mental nature. I noticed some interesting quirks about how the book plays with you, but it was nothing more than that, it plays. Its merit in a literary sense I found fascinating...and where to begin my own discussions on the book, well im still processing...its been only five days. I keep looking over my copy less for the content and more for the structure at the moment. When i have a chance to explore the boards a little bit more, i'm sure i'll find some areas of interest that bring me more into focus on what i share and do not share on hol.com. If threads where people want to say hello create that much inner tension and strife, just delete them...become an administrator...do something about it. Take some sort of action other than insults of character. I look forward to hearing what you may have to say about the book in other threads...so until then, lighten up, please.

[ February 12, 2004: Message edited by: Art-Should-Kill ]

Comment

quote:
                  ...and until then fatwoul, lighten up, please...

I fail to understand why I should make concessions whilst waiting for your own behaviour to change. I will lighten up when you stop being a jackass. It's not a difficult concept.

quote:
                  ...If the thread displeases you this much, by all mean, destroy it.

Only you can do that. However, I am confident that you won't, on account of the jackass thing mentioned above.

Comment

I'm new here, myself, but welcome to the boards, ASK.

I'm not sure if you're asking out of curiosity or if you're looking for recommendations, but if I remember correctly, the first thing I read after HoL was "The Elegant Universe," for no particular reason.

It was a complete shift of gears, of course, and I knew it would be. Perhaps that's why I read it when I did; needed a break, maybe.

On the other hand, if I had it to do again, I'm not sure I would have shifted quite so much.

If you are looking for a recommendation, I'll suggest "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien.

It's a book I read in college, several years before I read HoL. But I'm recommending it to you (and to any one who hasn't read it) now because, while it is quite a shift from HoL in subject matter, tone, and style (which might be a good thing), it provoked in me a similar reaction. Both books have changed how I observe my surroundings and how I write about them, too.

"The Things They Carried" is about the Vietnam war, and that's all I'll say about it.

So, if you want a shift, but also want to continue to have your thoughts provoked... It's better than reading "High Fidelity" (the other next book I read).

Comment

quote:
                      ...Fatwoul, the conversation's over...evermore. And this thread is over.

And yet it is still here.

And yet you are still replying.

Schmuck. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

ahh the never ending struggle between fatwoul and the n00bs...when will they realize that we are very easy to get along with as long as you dont beat the same topic to death twenty million times...and dont overflow the board with junk crap like the previous bonemaster...

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by Statix:
                          ...fatwoul and the n00bs...

Hey I like that. Sounds kinda mythical; George and the Dragon, Fatwoul and the N00bs.

Neat.

Comment

Fatty fatty fatty. You obviously must have some kind of fetish or something; some kind of derivitive of sadomasochism, ey? And, yall strike me as having some modicum of intellgence. Sense of... stunning logic that will cut down the most pervasive of master debators, yes. But, just as a matter of personal interest, is there any particular reason as to why you dignify n00b threads with your devlish prose? Oi mean, good god man: it's like saying, I have a headache because
                            a) I'm hitting myself with a hammer
                            and b) I love aspirin.
                            You hate waste of time thread messages, but you still respond to them. Evidence, your well endowed post number, so big you've got to stuff it in your sock.
                            or, is that why you post pissy responses to the noobanoids, to pad your number? [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Outside...no, i was really looking for recomendations...and thanks sounds like something I'll look into and see where it goes...i'll let you know if i pick it up. I do back up my recomendation i made earlier...Nicole Blackman. If you've already read her, good. If not, I think she should be required reading for every woman living in America...especially if you like hard hitting and intense poetry. Grit, Cities, Heroin, and lust never quite felt so good.

Fatwoul, the conversation's over...evermore. And this thread is over.

Comment

Working...
                              X