X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delial

Did anyone notice the importance of the name. Navidson never tells who she is until later on in the novel and only after damage has been done just by the mention of her name. Also note how delial sounds like denile, another of those echos I guess.

Delial

Good insight! What did you get from her? besides being one of Navidson's true loves- his work, his art, ect...

Comment

Delial

Whoa! Never thought of the denial thing.

A lot of the names in the book are like that. I mean, Lude... Crude...
      Zampano... uh... Damp Mano?

Hee hee [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] I worry myself sometimes. But really, I always thought that a lot of people's names in the book slightly describe the characters.
      Delial was the first tragic irony of Navidson's life. (the being the second). She made him famous, but caused him heartache. Without her he might not have prospered as he did... but he would've been happier and clear headed. Another one of the parts of the book that makes us relate to our own lives and the choices we make.

If not for this... than... maybe...

20/20 hind-sight.

Comment

Delial

Talking about names: Just a few days ago, I accidentally discovered that the word Truant is used for someone who skips school, walks away from responsibilities, etc. I think this kind of fits Johnny!

Comment

Delial

Good obsevation Bok, I am sure that Mark put a lot more names in there like that, but the book is so complex that it is hard to find some of them. I also noticed the name thing occures a lot in the references and footnotes at the bottom of the pages. Some of the titles of the periodicles and such. I think that Delial was in a essence Navidson's tradgic love like Beatrice in Dante (with many references being made to her throughout the book). She also alienated Karen, because Karen thought that Navidson was unfaithful when he went out on those shoots. Also it is hinted that she never remained faithful to Navidson as it was, but still she gets jealous at the mention of a name??? Another thing, do you find it strange that they lived together so long and had kids, but never got married??

Comment

Delial

Halloway------hallway

Comment

Delial

I was thinking that too.

Comment

Delial

There was a thought about the origin of Zampano's name posted to the p-o-e.com BBS. Paired with the followup, it's nice evidence of the theory that Johnny...hmm...well you decide [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Read the thread here.

Comment

Delial

Expanding on the play of names-> did anyone else catch this?
                  In foot note 342, it talks about "the Deutsch Electron Synchrotron (DESY; pronounced "daisy")"

Comment

Delial

could Delial have been lost during the war when he was rescuing the people he received his medal for? forgive me if it talks about this later in the book i'm still reading it

Comment

Delial

quote:
                      Lude... Crude...
                      Zampano... uh... Damp Mano?

"Lewd" (pronounced Lude) is a word as well. It means crude and lecherous, if I recall correctly.

Comment

Delial

Hey I'd noticed these name things!

How about Thumper?
                        The Bambi character was so called because he thumped out warnings to others; Thumper in the book repeatedly tries to help Johnny.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into this...

Comment

Delial

On WBRU yesterday, Mark and Poe were interviewed. Mark said "Everything in the book works in triplicate, so... There's no doubt I've been influenced by my sister listening to the song ["Angry Johnny"] all the time, but John is also John F. Kennedy, Dear John letters, it's a very important name."

Jennifer I don't think you're reading too much into it at all [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Delial

Well thank you MichelleVR5: and may I say it's nice to be referred to (as I'm new 'n all).

Here's another: Dr. Nowell - no-well - not well.

That one made me laugh....

Comment

Delial

Navidson ~ Navidad (spanish word for Christmas) & Son? Possibly related to navigation? Possibly Nav I.D. son?

There are so many possible interpretations to so many aspects of the book that attempting to determine why is difficult. I think that while such interpretations can occasionally lead to greater truths they rely on what the interpreter (the traveler through the maze of words) brings to it. In the end (not unlike the characters in the book) the maze is unique and personal. The answer, the path out is also unique and personal.

Comment

Working...
                              X