X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pink ribbon

After working my way through HOL, i have hundreds of questions that seem to constantly be on my mind. One, however, seems to jump out. the pink ribbon. It may just be my naivety, my youth, or maybe its simply the ignorance of a first time poster. But i just cannot make any sense of the pink ribbon that Karen is wearing at the end of the Navidson record. Is it maybe a way to show that none of it really happened, that it was all a fantasy. Someone please enlighten me, im really lost on this one. Thanks to however comes and holds my hand.

pink ribbon

Young Goodman Brown by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
    See Also Pelafina and "Faith & Hawthorne".

There is also this topic.

[ January 12, 2004: Message edited by: Nash ]

Comment

pink ribbon

thanks much, i have a feeling that will render some answers

Comment

pink ribbon

Also, the pink ribbon crops up many times in the book. Karen is wearing it, and Pelafina mentions it few times. Hell, Johhny even orders food from the pink dot with one of his sexual conquests, although this may just be a coincidence.

I think the ribbon, and the color pink in general represents femininity, perhaps as a counter point to the masculine blue of the . Ever notice how Karen is one of the few women to be affected by the at all, and the only woman to explore the abyss?

Also, colors obviously play a big part in the book. Arguably more so than any other conventional book out there. To extend the discussion of this thread, what part does color play in the book? Particularly the red, blue, yellow, and green keys to the hallway. I'm thinking Karen GREEN, Navidson "NAVY" BLUE. Then maybe a yellow for tom and a red for... I don't know... the minotaur.

Comment

pink ribbon

Didn't follow to the other threads on this, but a pink ribbon is to show support for breast cancer. I know MZD's dad died of cancer, but I don't know what kind (men can get breast cancer too).

PS., Really, have you actually ever tried yak?

Comment

pink ribbon

Believe me, I am a very tolerant person. But I must say this, and it will offend some people, but oh well:

There are two things in this world that I truly hate, and these are gypsies and yaks. Please don't enquire why. I still shudder from the memories.

Comment

pink ribbon

Yep, I know gypsies are a real problem up in Boulder.

Comment

pink ribbon

yak mixed with english gin and lemon juice is a good night cap...that will keep you up seven more hours playing cards and telling stories...

Comment

Working...
                X