Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Page: Yggdrasil?

Good stuff!

Alternatively, what about P. as being? In the Whale, she can do little else but be - a prisoner of her mind and the Whale itself.

Just a thought.

L.

Comment

quote:
      Originally posted by sen:
      ...Perhaps the colored O and the open O are for life and death, polar opposites. Yggdrasil is the tree of life, and part of everylife is death...

Not to suggest that one idea is right and another is wrong, but I also remember this being an alternative cool explanation forThe Black Dot.

The big black dot could be a footnote marker, and Yggdrasil could be the footnote. After everything else in the book is finished, lying outside the boundaries of the Navidson Record, Johnny's annotations, barely contained within the book, Yggdrasil could stand as the ultimate footnote. But footnote to what? To the giant black dot on page 312, which serves as the exaggerated full stop to the previous sentence? Or is Yggdrasil footnote to every dot in the book? Every time we finish a sentence, the full stop footnotes us straight to Yggdrasil. Every word uttered in the book is bound by Yggdrasil.

Like I said, just a suggestion I remembered reading and happened to like. Just thought it fitted nicely here too.

Doesn't account for the open O too, though. Shame. It probably means all these things anyway. The balance of life and death, a footnote marker, etc, etc.

Comment

I hope this helps:
        In Old Norse Ygg was one of Odins many names it means Terrible one Drasil Means Horse, so Yggsrasil means horse of Odin. The Name Yggdrasil refers to when Odin Impaled himself on the tree with his spear and hung there for 9 nights, doing so gave him the knowledge of the Ruins (Nordic Alphebet belived to be magical).

Comment

all right so this topic hasn't been picked up in a while and it's a shame, theres a lot of good stuff here.

However, I did use the search engine, and it occurred to me that in no posts on yggdrasil was there a reference to the roots as symbolizing the worlds in which this book takes place and mind you, it binds it together. please read the post by mzdquestions above.
          We have three worlds of Truant and Pelafina (the norns that create the world-Truant puts together the book); Zampano (wisdom, he is clearly very wise, and furthermore he is blind, keeping in mind that Odin had to sacrifice an eye to attain wisdom!) and the navidson record (well, that's hel(l) shouldn't need to elaborate more on that).

So what is the meaning of this tree that binds together the three "frames" of the book? Is it just to show that the stories interact? Or is there somthing more profound to it? I ask as I haven't found anthing satisfactory on the search engine so far.

Comment

Yggdrasil is indeed something to do with kabbalistic teachings... I didnt think that it would be too odd considering the authors father - but pretty much fits the bill with the story too (somethin bout a tree like the norse thing).

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by SeeAlso:
              This may be overly simplistic, but i've always viewed yggdrasil as a symbol for the novel itself.
              Yggdrasil is said to connect three worlds, while the novel / navidson record unites the three 'worlds' of pelfina, johnny and zampano.

P, J, and Z all inhabit the same world. Navidson inhabits a different world, as evidenced by the fact that he is a fictional character.

how about this for three worlds: Navidson, Johnny and the reader? each one views the one below him as fictional and is unaware of the one above. makes more sense than Pela/Zamp/Johnny.

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by malakite:

how about this for three worlds: Navidson, Johnny and the reader? each one views the one below him as fictional and is unaware of the one above. makes more sense than Pela/Zamp/Johnny.

But that begs the question: Who's reading us?

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by ass_shaped_smile:
                  ...Who's reading us?

Karen. Maybe that's what is in her big book.

Comment

This may be overly simplistic, but i've always viewed yggdrasil as a symbol for the novel itself.
                    Yggdrasil is said to connect three worlds, while the novel / navidson record unites the three 'worlds' of pelfina, johnny and zampano.

Comment

I just read your mom.

Comment

Hey I was talking to my friend about the norse mythology parts explained in this post and he mentioned that the monster that ate the roots of the tree was a dragon.

I had the book with me and he happened to open it up to "Tom's Story" and read allowed a part from page 260. It talks about the shadow puppets that Tom makes on his tent wall. He is making shapes for the monster and the one he finally settles on is a dragon which he fears will eat him. (extra creepy since my friend hasn't read the book and pulled the passage at random). The dragon eating the roots/foundation to the may explain the dissapearing markers and broken boot laces. It also gives a face to the monster.

Comment

Just a quickie, and possible (partial) explanation.

Page 113: "In many legends the 'centre of the world' is concretized as a tree or pillar symbolising a vertical axis mundi".

Page 112: "the center is, paradoxically, within the center and outside it. The center is at the center of the totality, and yet, since the center does not belong to the totality... the totality has its center elsewhere".

Relevant? Irrelevant? Who's to say with this book?

I'm pretty sure that the creature that lived among the roots of Yggdrasil was Jormungand, the snake, but Norsemen didn't really have dragons so there might be some crossover there.

Comment

quote:
                            Originally posted by drone:

I'm pretty sure that the creature that lived among the roots of Yggdrasil was Jormungand, the snake, but Norsemen didn't really have dragons so there might be some crossover there.

Right.
                            I think dragon (and tiger) have to be connected with yin and yang.

Comment

screw you guys for not mentioning the post i did on this topic. and screw you for not reading it. i found a connection throughout the entire book between the aviation symbols used and runes meanings related to them. the thread is under
                              :yggdrassil rune connection
                              there's a lot of information in there and i really would appreciate some kind of feedback on it this time.

Comment

I think the O is meant to show that it is written by P. as she signs one of her letters Mmmy... what is missing? The big O.

Comment

Working...
                                X