question about index page numbers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about index page numbers

in the index, there are words that correlate the page to look at (example: ...123), that's the whole point.

i've noticed some words do not correlate to a page, rather a roman numeral which is not labeled on the bottom of the actual page (example: yggdrasil...v).

i know i don't make any sense, it's hard to explain.

basically, the word 'yggdrasil' appears on page v, but, the page v is not labeled 'v', it is blank where the page number should be.

any reason for this?

That is the way MZD made it and that is the way it is supposed to be.

Much like the index appears to be random. MZD made it that way and it is the way it is supposed to be.

It is what it is and if it were anything else it would be different.

Comment

ipse dixit, after all...

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by hopeless:
        basically, the word 'yggdrasil' appears on page v, but, the page v is not labeled 'v', it is blank where the page number should be.

But to answer your question (as best I can): Yggdrasil appears twice in HoL, once on p. v and once on p. 709. In both cases it lies outside that which is traditionally considered part of the book. The first instance is in the table of contents, referring to the last instance which comes after the index and acknowledgements. It is, of course, wholly unorthodox to refer to words in the ToC in your index, unless you are making some point, like Danielewski is.
        Now, precisely what this point is, is anybody's guess, and has been discussed elsewhere on the board. My guess is that by placing Yggradsil where he does, the author is making it the "be-all and end-all" of the book, so to speak, as well as pushing the boundaries of what can be considered the text itself. Yggdrasil could almost be classified as paratext, but for the fact that it clearly isn't. But then again, it's not easy to define what else it might be, or what part it plays in the overall structure and meaning of the book.

Comment

Yggdrasil also Ygdrasil ( P )

Pronunciation Key (gdr-sl, g-)

n. Mythology

The great ash tree that holds together earth, heaven, and hell by its roots and branches in Norse mythology.

MMM ash tree lane.

Comment

i was just using yggdrasil, i know it appears on another page.

i don't need any information about yggdrasil, but, my question is sort of answered.

thanks for the help.

Comment

If you were simply wondering why the roman numeral and why the lack of it on the actual page, then the answer is simple.
              Roman numerals are used in prefaces and introductions, ie. anything that comes before the main body of the text. In editions of medieval texts, for instance, these can actually outnumber the text itself and its arabic numerals.
              As to its not being there, I'm sure you've noticed that page numbers are not printed on the first page of any new section of a book.

Comment

Today, it's kind of bad editorial work to use roman numerals for prefaces. You should only use roman numerals for pieces that are added in a later stage of the proces, such as material added for second editions...

Comment

Working...
                X