X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading

Ok i feel like a complete goober for asking this but what have you all found to be the best way of reading the book Ive tried reading it all the way through but then you have over lapping pages. So and direction as to how to read this would really help. Thanks

Reading

http://www.ofleaves.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=search

Comment

Reading

What do you mean overlapping pages?

I found the book to be so well-laid-out that you never have to break off mid-sentence in order to read a four page footnote. I've got the UK diachrome edition, but I can't imagine the layout is different in any other version. In chapter IX there are lots of footnotes that are difficult to follow but then that's the point.
      Otherwise I just read it like you would any other novel, because I reasoned that although it's supposed to look like a critical work (of which one tends only to read the introductions), there's still a fair amount of exposition going on, and actually following the references to future chapters and footnotes at an early stage in the text, for instance, would only spoil my enjoyment of it as a work of fiction.

Then of course on subsequent readings you can read it however you like. Try using the index!

Comment

Reading

Heh. What was that sal was saying about long-time members being search fascists? How many posts have got there, Ellimist?

Sprinklgrly, yes you are being a bit of a goober asking, but that's OK - to be honest, I would suggest reading it whatever way you can. IMO all the confusion is part of the book, and something that it is important for you to experience. That is why there is no way of reading the book and avoiding it.

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Reading

The reference to the overlapping pages was to that of how the footnotes seem to go on past the page they were for.And vice versa. Did you go through and read all of the regular print and then went back and read the itallic or the other way around or did you just read it when you came to it and did you keep a notebook to track all the strange occurance and references to the Index....ps im blonde

Comment

Reading

The book will guide you. If you are sent to a footnote; read it. If it sends you to a appendix; read that. When you are done with it, go back to where you were sent to it. It won't be hard; they're numbered right? Just put a book mark in the place from where you were sent away.

And fatwoul is right, it is part of the book. You are wandering the halls of the as it sits in your lap.

Comment

Reading

...ps im blonde
              The colour of your hair impedes your ability to think? [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X