to read with or without notes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to read with or without notes

i have a dear friend (she's smart and persistent - two traits necessary to fight your way through HOL) and she wants to read the book.... problem is she is having trouble finding a copy without doing the online thing... my dilemma - let her read my copy which is thrashed from multiple readings, highlighted, tons of notes and etc. etc. etc. everywhere - or just force her to get her own naked copy?
    if YOU were to be given the magical gift of HOL to read fresh, brand new, with no knowledge of it for the very first time (ah and what i wouldn't give to get that back again) - would you want a fresh, unmarked copy or would you want a banged up, noted up, highlighted up copy? and should i insist that she have a copy of "haunted" to go with the book at the same time? ...
    opinions????

Im the type that prefers to have a banged up copy with notes in it! It helps me to understand different perspectives, and also because soemtimes the blatantly obvious isnt just that to me!
    But it may help her to understand the book with ease. On the otherhand it may be good for her to do what you did, and that was figure the book out on her own! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ October 24, 2003: Message edited by: kit ]

Comment

there is NO OTHER CHOICE BUT TO MAKE HER GET A FRESH COPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      if you give her your notes-filled one it will de-mystify it and make it less scary. no human touches on her first copy!! this is essential!!!

Comment

I have a suggestion.

Make her get a fresh copy, but have her put notes and highlights in it as she reads.

When done the two of you can switch books for a new reading with someone elses idea's in the margins.

This way she gets the fresh experience, and then you both get the new experience of reading it with notes and highlights that are not yours. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Don't you guys have hip libraries or something? Then she could read it and eventually get her own copy. Then follow zerolous' advice.

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by zerolous:
            I have a suggestion.

Make her get a fresh copy, but have her put notes and highlights in it as she reads.

When done the two of you can switch books for a new reading with someone elses idea's in the margins.

This way she gets the fresh experience, and then you both get the new experience of reading it with notes and highlights that are not yours. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

That is an amazingly cool idea. Too bad nobody I know within 100 miles has read Hol...

Comment

its crazy- i know of only 2 other people in the city where i live that have read it. And only one of those people i someone who i am friends with. It really is so much better that HOL is obscure. I dont think it will ever get mainstream popularity because of its weirdness, but i hope it stays underground.

Comment

On this note, here's something I did. I bought a brand new copy and transcribed all the notes that I made in my working copy. I then gave it to someone who would appreciate the book with this note on it:

Enjoy the book. Feel free to write whatever you want on it. Please e-mail me with your impressions when you have finished it. Then please pass it on to someone who you feel would appreciate it and have them do the same. Add your e-mail address to the list and please e-mail everyone listed before you.

I left my e-mail address. This was almost one year ago. So far I have recieved 4 e-mails from people that had read my book. As far as I know it is still making the rounds although it has been several weeks since the last response. It has been pretty neat hearing from people that have touched and have been touched by my book.
                The only problem is that I have no way of getting the book back and seeing what people have added to it. All in all though it was $40 well spent. I have been exchanging e-mails with several people I would have not have met otherwise.

If anyone here happens across this copy (small as that chance may be) please let me know.

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by 1exist:

That is an amazingly cool idea. Too bad nobody I know within 100 miles has read Hol...

The only person I know who has read this book is a friend of mine who is an english teacher...and he didn't even finish it! Said it was too contrived! I need to get John B. to kick his ass. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

quote:

Said it was too contrived!

Guns. Lots of Guns.

Comment

I don't know...most of the notes I've put in my copy are connections and answers to all the little puzzles and word games.

Don't you think reading a copy that had all that in there already would take out some of the "fun" of the experience of HoL?

Oh, and you all just need to work harder on forcing all your friends to read the book. Or we all just need to get together and hang out.

Comment

quote:

The only person I know who has read this book is a friend of mine who is an english teacher...and he didn't even finish it! Said it was too contrived! I need to get John B. to kick his ass. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm shining up my wing-tips now.

But your friend's comment does raise an interesting question where this book and others, like Ulysses, are concerned: at what point does Art show its seams and become Artifice?

Comment

John B. is like the walking study guide for HoL. We should chip in and buy him a t-shirt that says "The Complete of Leaves Commentary." He can wear it to our annual Christmas party and summer barbeque.

Comment

quote:
                            Originally posted by John B.:

I'm shining up my wing-tips now.

But your friend's comment does raise an interesting question where this book and others, like Ulysses, are concerned: at what point does Art show its seams and become Artifice?

Actually, the real question should be at what point did artifice become the art? If you look at paintings in the last 50 years, you'll note that many are just surface texture and composition. Why shouldn't a book be allowed the same freedom.

I feel, that had MZD given us a poor product, then the comment of "its too contrived" would be valid. However, since the contrivance was well executed than the contrivance becomes an integral part of the art.

Comment

Working...
                            X