Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metaphor of the hallway

Hi everyone;

I just finished the book about a week ago, and have been trolling the forum here since I did. I'm sure the idea of the hallway being a passage into another dimension has been expounded to death, but bear with me, as I'd like to extend the metaphor a bit in a new direction. I did a quick search and found nothing, so I hope I won't be pissing anyone off.

As you can see by my profile, I'm a computer geek. My friend/coworker was trying to install something on his computer but didn't have enough room for it. I told him to mount a network drive and install it there.

now...

My thought process was this: what if the is a metaphorical link to another place(time/dimension/planet/plane/etc.) the same way as a computer can mount a drive? someone living inside the computer (bear with me) could look at the hard drive, and know that the computer had only, say, 100GB of disk space. however, that same person would easily be able to access an extra hundred gigs, because it had been mounted remotely. The file structure would seem bigger on the inside than on the outside.

I apologize if this is pretty unextraordinary, but it is my first post here. Over time, the quality will hopefully go up. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

--A

metaphor of the hallway

very interesting!! Its nice to hear a fresh idea!!

Comment

metaphor of the hallway

very interesting!! Its nice to hear a fresh idea!!
      Because after 2 weeks, everything just seems like old news...

Anyway, as to the original topic: Are you suggesting that the rooms are being reached via a network such as the internet?

Comment

metaphor of the hallway

quote:
        Originally posted by The Disgruntled Frenchman:
        Anyway, as to the original topic: Are you suggesting that the rooms are being reached via a network such as the internet?

Not exactly reached via a network - that's merely a metaphor. But the idea is that the moment you step through a door, you are no longer in the space you would expect in that place.

Let me see if I can extrapolate the metaphor a bit more so it makes more sense:
        In *nix, the root volume is called '/'. if you mount a drive, be it cdrom, floppy, or network drive, it gets mounted to subdirectory within that space - i.e. /mount/cdrom or /mount/c. now if you were merely a daemon, (a subroutine constantly running invisibly on the machine (although, parenthetically, daemon is an interesting word to use, especially in this metaphor,)) you would know the root volume - '/' had a size of x MB. however, you could still go into that subdirectory, (/mount/cdrom) and the subdirectory would be a completely different size, ruled by entirely different logic. much like...

the (which would be in blue if I was cooler...) in fact, if we specifically use a network for the example, instead of a differenct drive, that space would be hosted on a different computer, managed by a differing set of rules governing the way data is processed. (metaphorically, the very rules of physics.)

So with this metaphor, you have a potential way of explaining why everything is different, yet similar within the hallways.

So to specifically answer the question, no, the two locales aren't linked by a network, such as the internet. In fact, I have no idea how they are linked. But it seems like an interesting way of explaining the differing laws of physics in the two places. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

--A

Comment

Working...
        X