Clear All

• You never know what starts a conversation

… I watch the gull coast the flows
    This sky is grey, but I am not
    I sense beauty in the dull air.

It’s a Livingston Gull
    Or maybe I hope
    They all are.

Did Karen love Navidson, or did she need him?

Is there a difference?

Discuss, if you like. I'd like something to occupy my mind other than peurile whining from the people who claim to be evolved beings.
    Thier little beauty magazines and baseball games won't save them in the end.

You never know what starts a conversation

I think that like any married couple she loved him more than anything. In any relationship there's a certain inter dependence, and she did need him, but hell he needed her too. She went in the after him and brought him back, showing her love for him, but also perhaps because she needed him so much she couldn't face life without him.

So my answer is a bit of both.

Just re read my answer and now I feel like Trisha. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

ha ha

Go Ricky, Go Ricky!

okay only kidding. I'll stop belittling your reply, which was pretty good.

Take care of yourself, and each other.

tee hee

Comment

Actually, and I think MZD says this in the text, I've always seen a major part of the book as Karen's evolution from her blind need of Navy into a more equal love. Of course, I may have just drawn that conclusion myself and retroactively altered my memories of the book to match.
        Hmm...

Comment

can you love someone and not like them? i think inside karen didn't like what drove will but loved him for the man he represented and that's why there seems to be so much... animosity? the right word escapes me.

Comment

Crimson Van Zandt you suggested to me to read some poems called dispatch?? do you have any about that you could post on this site??
            it would be greatly appreciated...

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by angelheadedhipster:
              can you love someone and not like them? i think inside karen didn't like what drove will but loved him for the man he represented and that's why there seems to be so much... animosity? the right word escapes me.

Actually it seems you used all the right words, I agree with this idea. But I think its slightly more of Karen Loves Navy, she needs Navy, but she doesn't like him very much at all. Its part of that whole opposites atract philosophy that generates so many memorable relationships.

Comment

.....Like Ernie and Bert on Sesame Street.....

Comment

No no no, the guy, you know- who lived in the rubbish bin- what was his name? He was my favourite... A friend of mine turned up at work yesterday frighteningly resembling him. Goddamn poetry lectures, I don't feel in the mood for poetry. I have to write a short piece for creative writing and it can be on anything at all- any suggestions from all you budding writers...?

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by kit:
                    Crimson Van Zandt you suggested to me to read some poems called dispatch?? do you have any about that you could post on this site??
                    it would be greatly appreciated...

No no, Dispatches, by Michael Herr is a story of a journalist in Vietnam, although it reads a lot like poetry, it's very fragmented, but it's a liberating and beautiful piece of work.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I think that she didn't love him, she loved the relationship, to quote a Faithless song. I think she liked the idea of him, the idea of being married and settling down and being together. Her promiscuity seems like a rebellion against that.

And as angelheadedhipser said, she didn't like him, or what he represented, it was everything she wasn't. Prime example, when Navidson's brother died in the , she fled, he went in.

Worth considering too, she was a model, and therefore inherently self-conscious and insecure, Navidson was not, often blissfully unaware and mostly unemotional towards stuff she found important. We all need someone to psychologically tell us to shut the fuck up and stop being so serious, maybe he provided that.

I don't know.

What is the etiquette on here? Is it okay to stress personal opinions and experiences? All to often mine would sound like I was whining.

Hmph.

Comment

Wasn't Dispatches part of the influence for Full Metal Jacket? I have it listed here that he was one of the writers of the film in question. I think the other novel that formed the basis for the film is The Short Timers by Gustav Hasford, who also helped to write the film.

Comment

Working...
                        X