[sic] (sic) [sic]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [sic] (sic) [sic]

OK! I need help. I've used the search function for hours and I'm just too damn lazy to look anymore through the book itself.

Anyway, my question is can anyone tell me all the pages that [sic] appears on? My searching had found [sic] on page 248 after "Navilson," page 379 after "...parent)he)see)s), and the ever so famous page 643 after "Ms. Livre." I know there are more out there. Please help!

[sic] (sic) [sic]

I don't know of others off the top of my head, but . . . you're going to a lot of trouble for some reason. What are you working on?

Comment

[sic] (sic) [sic]

What are you working on?
      I'm trying to find the importance behind the mistakes that were put in on purpose, and in order to do that I have to find all of them.

Another mistake I found that had no [sic] following it was "he had a spent a lifetime" on page 91 toward the bottom of the page.

Does anybody know what the [sic] actually means and why it only follows some of the mistakes in the book?

Comment

[sic] (sic) [sic]

Sic is latin for 'so' or 'thus' and is used in brackets to indicate that an odd or questionable reading is what was actually written or printed.

Hope that helps.

Comment

[sic] (sic) [sic]

Although I'm actually still confused myself as to it's exact usage.

Comment

[sic] (sic) [sic]

Though basically what ra said, people use (sic) when they intentionally mispell(sic) a word. Or in the sense that something that seems obviously erroneous was done so intentionally. Sorry to reiterate ra, but I thought this might sound a little clearer.

Comment

[sic] (sic) [sic]

No problem

Just don't do it again... [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

No seriously, don't blame me- blame my dictionary.

Comment

[sic] (sic) [sic]

I though it was something along those lines. Thank you!

Comment

[sic] (sic) [sic]

It's also used when quoting someone else's mistake...right? To show "I didn't spell this wrong, I am just quoting them".

Comment

[sic] (sic) [sic]

You might also find this thread useful, in case you haven't run across it yet.

Comment

[sic] (sic) [sic]

Yes, I came across that thread, and man was it long. Thanks for digging it out because it is a good thread. I don't know why I forgot what [sic] means. anyway, it didn't mention any of the other [sic] words, so I ask my main question again. Does anybody know where any more grammatical errors are in the book and also more errors with [sic] following them?

Comment

[sic] (sic) [sic]

Originally posted by farsidedude
                        Does anybody know where any more grammatical errors are in the book and also more errors with [sic] following them?
                        We've done the compilation of the [sic] but on the French book here, so the text is in French and the pages don't match precisely.

You have to search the "sic" some pages before our pages.

For instance,
                        "Navilson" p 248 for you, p 254 for us.
                        "parent)he)see)s)" p 379 and p 390 on our version
                        "Ms Livre" p 643 and p 659

Maybe pwhite who has the french and the english book can help you.

Comment

[sic] (sic) [sic]

quote:
                          Originally posted by farsidedude:
                          Yes, I came across that thread, and man was it long. Thanks for digging it out because it is a good thread. I don't know why I forgot what [sic] means. anyway, it didn't mention any of the other [sic] words, so I ask my main question again. Does anybody know where any more grammatical errors are in the book and also more errors with [sic] following them?

Yeah, what about all the mistakes that don't have sic after them?

Had it not caught up with me
                          torn to pisces
                          etc etc?

[ September 18, 2003: Message edited by: verismo ]

Comment

[sic] (sic) [sic]

At the suggestion of Nash:

p. 114 (n. 135): phantasize [sic]

p. 248 (n. 226): Navilson [sic]

p. 328: achievement [sic] (should be plural)

p. 328: because he didn't [sic] the Varsity football squad

p. 330: failue [sic]

p. 336 (n. 295): misprision (there's a [sic] in the French version, not in the English)

p. 379: parent)he)see)s) [sic]

p. 539: A Brief History of How [sic] I Love (the sic is in J's font)

p. 643: Livre [sic]

And that's it. Of course, there may be others. Enough, I have work to do!

[ September 18, 2003: Message edited by: pwhite ]

Comment

[sic] (sic) [sic]

i know there are a lot in the chapter about holloway and his therapist. i thought it meant that those were some of the parts missing, like the parenthesis.

Comment

Working...
                              X