X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• of Leaves

I'm making my second journey through the book, so this may sound a bit naive (if so, forgive me):

what are the leaves in " of leaves"? leaves as in autumn leaves or leaves as in departures? or something else?

of Leaves

The title is intentionally vague and could mean any number of things.

The tree imagery--Yggrdasil and Ash Tree Lane, for example--is just one index to the title. There is also a brief untitled poem near the back of the book in which " of leaves" is part of a line. The poem compares our lives to s of leaves, forever subject to sudden and irreversible change (sort of the like the labyrinth, no?). Again, just one more interpretation of the title.

My favorite is this one:

leaf (leef) n. 5. One of the sheets of paper bound in a volume, each side of which constitutes a page.

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Sixth Printing (1970)

Another nod to Borges and "The Garden of Forking Paths," most likely. If you have not read this story yet (or anything by Jorge Luis Borges), favor yourself with seeking it.

Comment

of Leaves

Leaves = Change

of Changes.
      [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

quote:
      "All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."
      -Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

of Leaves

Excuse me, TrueNorth... how do you get to 'leaves = change'? I don't quite follow you there... [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Comment

of Leaves

Leaves change with the seasons and if I'm not wrong there is something having to do with season's here. Perhaps it is something we should go into. I think I extent of my notice is that the avidson record goes on over a summer period.

Comment

of Leaves

Let us not forget the Papyrus of the Egyptians... the first books were made of leaves. Today, we have books made of tree pulp. In a sense, all books are s of leaves.

-Zar

Comment

of Leaves

Very good ZaR and ManiKAtt, but the seasons part is only the begining of my observation, i talk about it in more detail in the "about the title" section so i didnt here. the main idea that created the connection for me, was that just as the changes with the "seasons" of the mind (the state of mind of the inhabitants) so do leaves change with the seasons of the earth; furthermore, i just realized while typing this that the earth is like a to the trees/leaves (makes a nice circle of connections between the ideas).

Comment

of Leaves

this is my own interpretation why " of leaves" and it got alot to do with the chapter of the echos and the beginnig of the book in wich and the whole paper u can read

"THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR U"

now,if u yell out loud the title u'll got

- OF LEAVES!!!!
                -OF LEAVES!!
                -LEAVES!
                -LEAVES!
                -LEAVE!
                -LEAVE!

the tittle itself (and the book) is warning us not to read it so LEAVE!!!,that book is not for us

hopefully u get what im saying

[img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

of Leaves

Rather than "change", I think it more specifically refers to the "fragility" or "impermanence" of things. Just like it does in the little snippet of poetry on 563. "...and this great blue world of ours seems a of leaves moments before the wind."

It'll all be swept away in short order. Like the sweeps away anything left behind by the explorers; and the marshes of Virginia swept away any traces of the original Jamestown colony (as was said in some footnote about a Virginia state park ranger); and many other examples in the book of the fleeting nature of the things we leave behind.

Thus, I don't think the title refers to the at all. I think it's a metaphor for the fragility of the characters involved.

Comment

of Leaves

hi everyone , i 'm new here

my interpretation may be a little different from yours because i read the french edition.
                    so i shouldn't be posting in this section, but i actually see it as some kind of invasion from the book. i mean, you now how it acts, it always tries to get out of what it is to produce its works in the outside(s) (world(s)). i see it as a root ( or as a seed ) we can maybe better identifiy from its products than from itself.

well then, the word "leave" is translated in the french edition and while the translation is good the meaning changes but the intended meaning is maybe not changing that much. and the ideas it implies still seam valuable for the original edition.

if you think of leaves as a sheets of paper bound into a volume constituve of a book (or something like this). what can you then say of the " of Leaves"?

- it's a " of pages", then it's a book. (wow big news [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )
                    - but being a book (what we already knew) it is also a (well we already knew it was a labyrinth anyway)
                    - but then if "the book" and "the " maybe referring to each other, eventually being the same "thing". can't Navidson's be a book. i mean he thinks he's exploring a but he is actualy exploring a book, and he can't help going on, just as we are.
                    - but still, the of leaves, clearly refers to a tree, and here is were it starts to be really thrilling. because until then everything was alright: we new we were reading a book, we knew there was a story about labyrinth(s) , we knew we entered the book as one enters a labyrinth. but then what trees are doing that books and s don't is ... growing, changing, LIVING. ... the thing you're holding in your hands is actually (even if slowly) moving !
                    - plus. it doesn't matter what shape the tree is taking, how many leaves it has, how many pages it has, how many rooms it has... the tree was born from a seed and it will produce fruits that will reproduce that same seed, that will grow somehere else, in other grounds,in somebody else's mind.

so i read a BOOK whose name is "the of leaves" (being a poetic metaphor for a TREE). the all thing is both a labyrinth, and a game; which we love to play (even afterwards), like we (i) played children games in the TREES, building (dreaming) wooden s , where we (i) could hide to read mysterious (forbiden) BOOKs.

is the french version helpful, or at least "messingful" ?

Comment

of Leaves

Je suggère que tu ailles faire un tour du côté du forum français avec une petite recherche complémentaire sur Deleuze et le rhizome.

Comment

of Leaves

I don't know, maybe it's because I really like that little snippet of verse in the appendix, but the whole use of the word Leaves suggests a lot more of fragility, just as Sharky said. Leaves are very impermanent things, objects that can be affected by all aspects of the physical side of the enviroment. In fact the poem also suggests this in it's last phrase
                        "moments before the wind"
                        this wind could be a metaphor for conflict or gradual change, which the leaves would be permantly changed by.

It's almost as if leaves is a metaphor for mind, that we will be changed simply by reading the book.

Comment

of Leaves

oh please forgive me for not using the blue colour, i just did not know how to use them.

quote:
                          Originally posted by le_theope:
                          Je suggère que tu ailles faire un tour du côté du forum français avec une petite recherche complémentaire sur Deleuze et le rhizome.

genial
                          merci

Comment

of Leaves

You're welcome.

Comment

of Leaves

quote:
                              Originally posted by le_theope:

And now the subtitles:

"Haha we are so clever. We let other countries defend us from invasion. Our armed forces wear pastel blue because they don't need camouflage."

[ August 18, 2003: Message edited by: fatwoul ]

Comment

Working...
                              X