Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

It seems like a stupid question at first, doesn't it?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shever---
    you might be interested to know that the tori amos song you quote is actually a cover of a joe jackson song (from "night and day")

Comment

totally off this thread's topic:

how come that link that hello? posted to of leaves in a different language has like a whole damn website, and all we have is a messageboard? i want a neat flash-y intro and some explanation on this site too! i feel neglected! geez!

Comment

I think we should picket outside MZDs and demand a cool intro to this site and a fun trivia challenge, featuring a question about what Dopey fucked.

Comment

One of the meanings I always took from of leaves was a description of a tree. A of leaves before the wind is like a tree with birds residing in it, when the leaves begin to fall. I figured it had something to do with page 609, the description of the tree, yggdrasil, etc. What I'm not sure, but if the roots hold the sky, the leaves are here.

Comment

I still think WE are the leaves.

Comment

I'd like to live in a of Veal
              with a dirty little dog
              who's not quite real
              I want to live in a of Meat
              so that me and my dirty
              little dog can eat
              it

Comment

wow, mzd has a ?

Comment

I also got the feeling that "leaves" were layers - and that the reader themself becomes yet another layer within the story as they form their own theories about the theories of Truant about the theories of Zampano about the theories of Navidson...and the cycle never seems to end - almost like the black, cold, borderless passages within the itself.

Comment

That is exactly what I like about the idea of Navidson reading HOL - the fact that he and the reader share in each being a leaf in the .

Comment

says who?

Comment

i dunno. i always (following, of course, my first completion of the book) thought that of leaves referred to the book itself, insofar as the book is the same as the . We are put into a world where we dont relaly understand anything, but we slowly come to some sort of comprehension as to where we are, and what the fuck is going on. As navy and the crew explore the and truant explores z's manuscript, we explore the book that we got. We are all exploring the same .

Comment

says you, hello?! we can't picket his without him having a ...

*gasp*

or CAN we...

hmmmm...

Comment

First post ever. sorry if it's bad.

I've got two things to bring up. First, on page 564 (? don't have my text) there is La Feuille, left untranslated. It's weird to me that it wasn't translated, but who cares. Here's the business. A recurring word in that bit can be translated as sheets (like paper) or as leaves from a tree. papers and tree parts have already been brought up on the post so it's not really that big of a deal, except for it being a textual reference where leaf is treated ambiguously.

second, i haven't seen anyone note another shade of meaning in the title. this comes up because of the strange thing that happens when you pluralize 'leaf'. the spelling changes, duh, I know, to leaves, which is also a verb, to, like, get out, as in 'my wife leaves me every three weeks or so.' when you have the preposition 'of' (in ' of...') it necessarily needs to be predicated of a noun. so you say, fine leaves on a tree, but leaves as in get out, can also be a noun, such as 'leaves of absence' or ' I take leave of you now'. so it could be read as ' of people getting out.'

clumsy post, sorry. leaving seems to be a recurring theme in the novel, mom and pop leave JT, girlfriends leave JT, owners leave the , cats and readers leave zampano. JT leaves mom. any more? its not the primary meaning of the title, of course, but it illuminates the theme.

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by danderjohn:
                              ...second, i haven't seen anyone note another shade of meaning in the title. this comes up because of the strange thing that happens when you pluralize 'leaf'. the spelling changes, duh, I know, to leaves, which is also a verb, to, like, get out, as in 'my wife leaves me...

" of Leaves" as in " of Departures" has been observed on here before, but I have to say I don't think that any one meaning is correct, more that it is deliberately chosen as a name with many meanings, again to symbolise the contents that follows.

Its also a good selling point - with many different meanings, the title must surely have appealed to more readers than otherwise - after someone has bought the book, who cares if it isn't what they expected? the publishers and MZD still get their profits. Like I and other have said before, MZD is a hell of a salesman.

Comment

when I thought of the title of leaves, i thought more of trees and how trees with the change of seasons change colors, shapes and fall off with winter. I thought by naming the book of leaves the author, who ever that is, was thinking about the lives of the people and the itself.People go in the at the beginning, they are like green leaves. As they grow in the , they mature, and the become part of their life something that can't be changed or taken away from them, so the leaves are changing colors turning red and orange with the amount of effort the person gives when in the . and the leaves someday fall off. The people leave the or like Navy die in the . That may not make sense but that is what I thought of the title.

Comment

Working...
                                X